Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Thermo or No Thermo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermo or No Thermo?

Hey H-T I need some help determining what to do in regards to running a thermo or not.

My current setup is a stock D16Y8 with a somewhat blown headgasket and a P1106 CEL. I have recent bought a B16A2 swap for a sweet deal and im doing a minor build (3-4 weeks tops and the swap goes in). I plan on selling my D16Y8 swap for anyone who is willing to do the headgasket and fix CEL P1106 for a cheap cheap cheap price (full swap).

My question...Since its really hot out lately my car heats up within 5 mins of driving. Some people say running no thermo is bad. Others say its good. Now, is it bad if I remove the thermo and just run no thermo temporarily until I get the swap in? (we're talking 3-4 weeks). What do you guys think? Cuzz my engine is running waayyyy to hot!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Thermo or No Thermo?

No. thermostat. I don't know what Honda was doing by putting one in there in the first place. It's just a hunk of scrap taking up space in the cooling system.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
No. thermostat. I don't know what Honda was doing by putting one in there in the first place. It's just a hunk of scrap taking up space in the cooling system.
Thanks for the reply! Im going to go home after work and pull it...and hopefully this motor can cool down a bit!

Should I be leaving the gasket that goes around the Thermo inside so it doesnt leak?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You don't get sarcasm do you?
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You don't get sarcasm do you?
It's kind of hard when in writing lol. I know there is a down fall to removing it...My out look is that im only going to run it this way for a few weeks. On top of the fact that I drive in heavy traffic, I thought i could help the motor stay cooler and reduce over heating. Thats all
Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about fixing the real problem at hand?....your bandaid idea is not a good one. That is if you want to get anything for that longblock once you do the swap.

When you do the swap, it isnt terrible difficult to pull the head off the y8 and replace the h/g
Old 07-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
How about fixing the real problem at hand?....your bandaid idea is not a good one. That is if you want to get anything for that longblock once you do the swap.

When you do the swap, it isnt terrible difficult to pull the head off the y8 and replace the h/g
I understand where your coming from and I dont blame any of you for thinking this is some half-*** job. Im not half-****** it, I just dont want to throw more money at the single cam since I have my dual cam almost ready. Plus not to mention its only gonne be 3/4 weeks and im done with that single cam. I dd my car and I work 60 hours a week. Not trying to give you a sob story, I'm just trying to use my time wisely and put it where it matters (the dual cam).
Old 07-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't worry too much without the thermostat if you are in a hot climate and always on city driving. In these kind of conditions, the thermostat will stay open most of the time if there is no problem with your cooling system. The negative effects would be minimal for you to notice or to cause damage.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't run without a thermostat.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The thermostat also acts a restrictor so the coolant has time to cool down in the radiator.

The engine is designed to run at certain temperature. The thermostat keeps the engine in these ranges.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:54 AM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa.... ZenkaiRacer, I haven't seen that name in about 10 years.

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with your bandaid if it's just going to be for 3-4 weeks. You're throwing that motor away anyway, might as well bandaid it. You can also unplug the sensor on the thermo housing and stick a paperclip in it so the fans run whenever your ignition switch is on.

This is an unconventional bandaid, but if he's only doing it to run 3-4 weeks, I have no problem suggesting it.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha yeah man. It is I! I just finished a swap in my hatch that looks just like my old one! Only took me that long to finally have a swapped hatch of my own.

Anyways, yeah as a bandaid on a motor your getting rid of it'll be fine. I originally read it as you wanted to do this with your new swap.