Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

thermo issue

Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermo issue

this is for my buddy.. on his 99 civic lx w/ d series motor. his temp gauge goes up and down. it seems like it goes up during idle and when he starts to drive it goes back down slowly when he's driving. also the hose to resevior had pop out few times...

what could it be wrong???

i'm thinking it's thermostats.. but that was replaced a year ago w/ autozone part. could it be the thermostats?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thermo issue

Possibly, i just said this in another thread 5 minutes ago:

Give them a read:

Originally Posted by CO671
Have you ever felt the lower hose (when upper hose is hot) to ensure that the coolant is flowing through?
Are you sure the waterpump or thermostat aren't faulty?

Have you done this?

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The fan switch (thermoswitch) is located on the thermostat housing. *Unplug the 2P connector and install a jumper wire between the two terminals of this connector. *The fan should now run continuously when the key is in ON(II). *If so, replace the switch.

If it is a headgasket and you're interested in replacing it, I could help guide you through the process as I've been through these problems myself.
Originally Posted by hondaluv345
I didn't feel the lower hose, but the upper hose was extremely hot. Although, there was little to no coolant being expended from the resevoir throughout overheating (until it began to boil).

Frankly, I know nothing of the waterpump or thermostat, where they are, etc. I know that the thermostat was replaced once when my radiator was replaced.

I appreciate your offer, but since I can hardly understand your graphic, I don't think I could replace the gasket myself. Plus, I live in an apartment, so there is no where for me to do so.

Thanks
Feel the lower hose because that's where the coolant gets pumped through. If it's cold and it doesn't feel like there's any flow either the waterpump is faulty or the thermostat (if present) is faulty and not opening up.

Aww, well I knew nothing more than changing oil when I tackled a headgasket problem so I could relate to your current level. No problem, best of luck to you and thank you for making the post as descriptive as possible for others to help.
Originally Posted by hondaluv345
Will do, thanks for your help. Just so I understand correctly: The lower hose should feel warm or otherwise not cold if coolant is running through it properly?
Correct. Lower hose should feel the same as upper. If it doesn't, I would take out the thermostat, let the car cool down, top-off radiator again and hope it doesn't overheat + lower hose feels the same temperature as upper.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the cooling fan running? Usually when a thermostat sticks, it will overheat all the time, when a vehicle is heating up at idle and the fan isnt running it will heat up and then when you start to go air gets drawn through the radiator and cools the motor down. Check the fan for proper operation
Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how far are we talking its moving a needle width or from half to cold? I had my thermostat push the O ring out the center and would do this... it would only stay warm when sitting as soon as I drove it it dropped like a rock...