Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is there a write up on how to flush an automatic tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a write up on how to flush an automatic tranny?

My auto tranny in my 97 sedan is slipping. Looking through the papers, it has only had one tranny flush at 45k miles. Its on 90k now. If you can shoot me in the right direction on how to do it myself that would be great.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is there a write up on how to flush an automatic tranny? (Poopie)

I did it a few times on automatic Honda but its been a while and I can not promise you this will be 100% accurate but I will try my best.

The best advice anyone can give you is go out and buy a service manuel.

1. Jack up the car. Use jackstands for safety.
2. Drain out the old fluid. I believe your car has to be in Neutral. (someone say something if I'm wrong!!) There is a drain plug on the side of your tranmission. You turn it conterclockwise with a 3/8 drive ratchet.
3. Tighten the drain plug.
4. Pour in the new tranmission fluid (ATF). Once again, I do not remember how much fluid it was off the top of my head. All this is done in neutral. Lower the car.
5. Start your car, and put it in nuetral (believe it also has to heat up to normal operating temperture first) to check the tranny dipstick to see if you have enough or too much.

I knwo this is a shitty writeup but I can't find my manuel at this moment.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a write up on how to flush an automatic tranny? (Br1anPham)

OK cool thanks. I'll just go to the honda dealership to find out the corect ammount to put in. What brand of fluid do i use? Honda or some other?
Old 11-13-2004, 01:30 PM

yes like the other dude said jack up the car.

the check to see if it has a drain pan.
if it does un do some bolts and then use a long screw driver or prybar to put in the side or the pan and pry just a little till fluid comes out.
best way is to turn the screw driver/prybar to its side a tad.
once it dains most fluid out undo the rest of the bolts and take pan off.
look up inside towards the engine for a filter like and oilfilter.undo the filter and replace it.use a rag to wipe down the hydrolic suckers(lol not perfesional name).
once u do that place pan back on and bolt down to torque recomends.
the refill the tranny wit new fluid.warm engine AND CHECK DIPSTICK. im sure it has to be in N gear.
(im not sure if this is the process for a manuel or auto) but still check
Old 11-13-2004, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is there a write up on how to flush an automatic tranny? (TechDan)

The methond metion above is really just a drain and fill, there will still be old fluid still in the torque convertor. The best way to trully flush your system is to have a machine hooked up through your cooler lines, it flushes out all the old fluid and replaces it with new fluid. All dealers or jiffy lubes has the machine, I think about 80 bucks.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a write up on how to flush an automatic tranny? (krzyaccord)

yeah i'll check around for prices. Thanks for the input fellas.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:49 PM

sounds like you need a haynes if your looking for a good tranny flush writeup. after that, grab a helms too. great books.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a write up on how to flush an automatic tranny? (krzyaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krzyaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The methond mention above is really just a drain and fill, there will still be old fluid still in the torque convertor. The best way to truly flush your system is to have a machine hooked up through your cooler lines, it flushes out all the old fluid and replaces it with new fluid. All dealers or jiffy lubes has the machine, I think about 80 bucks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

is this method recommended on hi mileage transmissions? i read somewhere that you should drain and refill till the drained ATF comes out the same color as it went in.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a write up on how to flush an automatic tranny? (Vic Nyce)

automatic cars do not have to be in nuetral when draining tranny fluid....

if your doing a flush manually, just fill drain and refill tranny 2-3 times to get a good flush, because only 2/3 of fluid comes out when draining

make sure you get a new washer for the transmission bolt (just like oil pan bolt washer except bigger)

use 3/8 rachet for bolt to loosen
put bolt and new washer on

easy way to fill up tranny is to remove the tranny dipstick and place an extended funnel in there and fill it up that way...its easier than getting a bunch of extenions to break the tranny fill bolt and ****

use Honda ATF

Old 11-24-2004, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a write up on how to flush an automatic tranny? (Vic Nyce)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vic Nyce &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is this method recommended on hi mileage transmissions? i read somewhere that you should drain and refill till the drained ATF comes out the same color as it went in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok after scouring the web for info i found an explanation for the ATF dilution method. mind you this is for a GS300/GS400.

The text in this document is contributed by SeattleGS400 on ClubLexus.com
Percentage Old AT Fluid Remaining after a ATF Drain and Refill Process, and subsequent Drain and Refills
(1) 77.8%
(2) 60.5%
(3) 47.1%
(4) 36.6%
(5) 28.5%
(6) 22.1%
(7) 17.2%
(8) 13.4%
(9) 10.4%
(10) 8.1%

Basically, after 10 drain and refill processes (20 quarts of ATF total), you will still have approximately 8% of the old fluid left, which is pretty negligible.

If you want essentially all of the old fluid out of the A/T in one step, then you’ll need to do a A/T flush procedure (moderate cost at Lexus dealerships or a rather challenging process for a DIY job as you don't have the machinery), but it does get all of the old fluid out. This is NOT recommended on cars with spotty service records, as sludge build-up will come loose as the new ATF's chemicals will get the sludge loosened, which can clog up some vital internal parts.

If your ATF is a brown or black color, I'd recommend maybe 4 sequential drain and refills at any one time--no more. Then do a single drain and refill of ATF along with each oil change interval (i.e. for the next 3 oil changes, drain and refill the ATF at that interval as well). This will allow your transmission to slowly clear up the sludge in a gentle manner and minimize any clogging risk from large amount of sludge being loosened from "shock" of new ATF fluid.