Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is there a way to upgrade tires for performance & fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to upgrade tires for performance & fuel economy?

I just bought a 98 Civic HX for the fuel economy aspect. It's got stock everything. Is there any way to upgrade the tires (which are OEM) for improved performance but also improving fuel economy. Or is it automatic that by increasing performance (handling) you'll lose MPG performance? Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to upgrade tires for performance & fuel economy? (n8guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n8guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just bought a 98 Civic HX for the fuel economy aspect. It's got stock everything. Is there any way to upgrade the tires (which are OEM) for improved performance but also improving fuel economy. Or is it automatic that by increasing performance (handling) you'll lose MPG performance? Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're looking to improve your car's stock performance, and increasing the gas mileage, you might want to try these things out:

1) Change Air Filter (OEM or K&N)
2) Change Fuel Filter (OEM)
3) Clean Fuel Injectors (Send out..this is not a must)

These are just basic routine maintenance for your car and should be done every so often anyway. However, this will help out a lot.

As for tires (your orig. question), the lighter your wheels are, the better off you will be. Just keep the stock wheels, and get some Falken Sport tires or something similar.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there a way to upgrade tires for performance & fuel economy? (1995Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1995Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're looking to improve your car's stock performance, and increasing the gas mileage, you might want to try these things out:

1) Change Air Filter (OEM or K&N)
2) Change Fuel Filter (OEM)
3) Clean Fuel Injectors (Send out..this is not a must)

These are just basic routine maintenance for your car and should be done every so often anyway. However, this will help out a lot.

As for tires (your orig. question), the lighter your wheels are, the better off you will be. Just keep the stock wheels, and get some Falken Sport tires or something similar. </TD></TR></TABLE>dont respond to these threads there is someone fuking around
Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to upgrade tires for performance & fuel economy? (raphael)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raphael &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont respond to these threads there is someone fuking around </TD></TR></TABLE>

Word.

Thanks man. Stupid *****.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Is there a way to upgrade tires for performance & fuel economy? (raphael)

This is a legitimate question. I'm not sure why this would be considered a 'B.S.' question. But, I appreciate 1995Civic's answer. Thanks for taking the time to be considerate and answering my question.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Is there a way to upgrade tires for performance & fuel economy? (n8guy)

Sounds legit to me too.

If it's a lower mileage car, seafoming the engine and running a can of seafoam in your gas tank will help to move out a lot of buildup.

Also get your battery, alternator, and starter tested.

If you want to to to extremes, remove PS and AC and strip the sound deadening material and backseats, carpet.

I saw an HX manual get 55 mpg once on the stock motor. It was neat.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you can easily do to your tires is make sure that they're at an ideal inflation pressure. The manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure is not always the best from an economy (or even a performance) standpoint, and is often a compromise that helps allow for a more comfortable ride. However, it's a good place to start, and don't forget to take note of the maximum inflation pressure printed on the sidewall.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:35 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Is there a way to upgrade tires for performance & fuel economy? (Padawan)

Tire pressure IS HUGE, i got about 260 miles to the tank coming home from Phoenix to Atlanta and I knew I should check my tires pressure. But I was too lazy and anxious to get home.

Also I was loaded down with about 600 lbs of stuff and going 80-90 during the whole trip.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n8guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is a legitimate question. I'm not sure why this would be considered a 'B.S.' question. But, I appreciate 1995Civic's answer. Thanks for taking the time to be considerate and answering my question. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My apologies then...

It sounded legit to me too, thats why i responded

Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default My $.02

Most performance tires have stiffer sidewalls that will keep the car from swaying when you corner. My theory is that if you can corner with more speed and avoid tapping the brakes, you'll get better gas mileage.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My $.02 (sql_civic)

This is no bs you can try finding a place that has nitrogen to fill your tires with. It is much more stable and does not change volume when heated or cooled. A lot of bike shock are filled with nitrogen for that very reason. Just something to look into.