Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is there anything can be done to improve engine response?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there anything can be done to improve engine response?

It seems like that it is more like the engine's response isn't very sharp for some reason. Is there any tune up or cheap mods that can improve engine response?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Is there anything can be done to improve engine response? (2000_CivicDX)

Change spark plugs, air filter, cap/rotor, and fuel filter.

Basic tune-up items!
Old 11-11-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Is there anything can be done to improve engine response? (2000_CivicDX)

I was going to say flywheel, until I saw "Cheap Mods".
Old 11-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there anything can be done to improve engine response? (Astig)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Astig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Change spark plugs, air filter, cap/rotor, and fuel filter.

Basic tune-up items!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to change my name to anti-fuel filter. Every person who knows dick and has a post count less than 500 ( i know im not very far from it and posts dont = knowledge but its more than just a coincidence ) talks about a fuel filter. Unless someone would like to post up the scheduled maintenace form for Honda's and show where a fuel filter is required or even recommended then please talk, until then, never mention a fuel filter again. Its for the LIFE of the car. LIFE. LIFELONG. INFINITE. DOESNT NEED CHANGING.

All the rest of the stuff is good though. Just get a 90k service on your car. oil/tranny/coolant flushes + new plugs/plugwires/dizzy cap + New belts/pumps/valve adjustment and your good to go.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Is there anything can be done to improve engine response? (FuNkDrSpOt)

You might as well change your name to something else...

So in your apparent expertise, no Honda fuel filter has ever gone bad? Sounds reasonable!

Old 11-11-2005, 06:07 PM

"All the rest of the stuff is good though. Just get a 90k service on your car. oil/tranny/coolant flushes + new plugs/plugwires/dizzy cap + New belts/pumps/valve adjustment and your good to go."

oil and coolant flushes just done. Changed the OEM air filter to K&N drop on. Also has new belts and pumps were changed 20k ago. Regarding valve adjustment, what do you mean exactly? You mean the throttle body?

I test drove a 98 DX and it seemed to be more responsive than mine and I don't know why. Both are stock and the only difference is mine is a Hatchback and the other one is a sedan.

It seems that I needed to press the throttle a little deeper to get gas and also it seems that there is a little lag when I press the gas pedal to the car actually starts moving.
Comments are welcome.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:11 PM

maybe adjust for throttle cable, could have a lot of slack in it, and a valve adjustment is taking the play out of the intake and exhaust valves to bring them back to spec, if their even out at all,
Old 11-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after you do the basicac tune up and check sensors such as idle, map and tps, go for a lighter flywheel/pressure plate combo.. that should give you a more responsive throttle..
Old 11-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Astig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might as well change your name to something else...

So in your apparent expertise, no Honda fuel filter has ever gone bad? Sounds reasonable! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I like how you argue for your dumbass advice by starting off with a fallacy.

ANY filter just like any part of your car can go bad. That doesnt mean your advice is good. The stock cat-back exhaust can go bad but its made for the life of the car. Would you recommend him to replace his stock header? Its about as likely to be the culprit.

EVERY SINGLE THREAD with performance problems has some asshat saying 'change your fuel filter'. A fuel filter is not like an air filter or an oil filter. Gas already is filtered and refined BEFORE you put it in your car and there are no moving parts in your gas tank. Therefore the fuel filter really doesnt have to filter much.

to you for even mentioning the fuel filter. His fuel filter being the cause is about as likely as his rear seats causing too much drag

Modified by FuNkDrSpOt at 9:29 PM 11/11/2005
Old 11-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000_CivicDX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quote
"All the rest of the stuff is good though. Just get a 90k service on your car. oil/tranny/coolant flushes + new plugs/plugwires/dizzy cap + New belts/pumps/valve adjustment and your good to go."

oil and coolant flushes just done. Changed the OEM air filter to K&N drop on. Also has new belts and pumps were changed 20k ago. Regarding valve adjustment, what do you mean exactly? You mean the throttle body?

I test drove a 98 DX and it seemed to be more responsive than mine and I don't know why. Both are stock and the only difference is mine is a Hatchback and the other one is a sedan.

It seems that I needed to press the throttle a little deeper to get gas and also it seems that there is a little lag when I press the gas pedal to the car actually starts moving.
Comments are welcome.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAH quoteable stuff there. The valves are the things your cams control. They look kinda like a funnel and are responsible for allowing air in and out of your engine.

Someone mentioned this before but you might want to have the throttle cable adjusted. There was a service bullitin about that with Honda, i think. Also, they had a recall/service issue on certain cars from 96-99 where they give you (basically) a free 90k service.

You stated you changed your belts. Is your timing good?

Not to down you, but if you dont know what or where your valves are then this might be over your head. I might recommend you take it to a honda service shop and describe the issues your having. Good luck
Old 11-11-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Is there anything can be done to improve engine response? (FuNkDrSpOt)

the fuel filter is not good for the life of the car. it should be changed every 30k-40k miles.
Old 11-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there anything can be done to improve engine response? (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the fuel filter is not good for the life of the car. it should be changed every 30k-40k miles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just pulled up my 90k service and in 05 they recommend to replace fuel filters that are on cars 93 or older only if it isnt flowing well. Basically, i know of not one person who drives 30k-40k in 13 years. I'll recend what i said about it being 'for the life of the car' but it pretty much is. It is essentially saying every 200k - 500k the fuel filter is RECOMMENDED to be replaced.

Point is, the guy has a 98' civic and there is no reason why his fuel filter, of all things, would be causing his problems. Stranger things have happened but im quite tired of people who know nothing bringing up a fuel filter EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Things to do for 2000_civicdx (and im sure you'll agree with me on this IHateJDM ):

valve adjustment
adjust timing and belt tension
throttle cable adjustment

Old 11-12-2005, 01:44 AM

Give it a rest, Mr. Bonaparte.

Saying my advice is trash, then go right back on with telling the guy to do the same maintenance. Then saying not to diss him, but using his lack of knowledge as humor in your own sig?

Take the stick out of your *** and stop being an effin' *****.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:46 AM

the idea that a fuel filter is good for life sounded so crazy I had to get off my *** and get a book............30,000 miles or 24 months
Old 11-12-2005, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there anything can be done to improve engine response? (hplssone)

my fuel filter has 208k on it, and i am gonna change it very soon, ill let you know how much better the car acts.

because what ur saying does not make sense, its a filter, it filters out bad things, the more it is used the more is blocking the flow through the filter.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there anything can be done to improve engine response? (93egsedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A fuel filter is not like an air filter or an oil filter. Gas already is filtered and refined BEFORE you put it in your car and there are no moving parts in your gas tank. Therefore the fuel filter really doesnt have to filter much.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
So you're saying that gas doesn't get contaminated with dirt/sand/debri in the process of filling up your gas tank or when the tankers is refilling the gas station?
Old 11-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless someone would like to post up the scheduled maintenace form for Honda's and show where a fuel filter is required or even recommended then please talk, until then, never mention a fuel filter again. Its for the LIFE of the car. LIFE. LIFELONG. INFINITE. DOESNT NEED CHANGING.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is this good enough for ya? Directly out of a 1994 Honda Civic LX 4-door manual. (Cars life was ended by a taxi in Philly but I happened to have the manual right next to my computer and scanner).

Old 11-12-2005, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

funk, relax man, there's plenty of **** in the tank of an older car and the fuel filter DOES need to be changed every once in a while..

if "the life of the car" for you means the average american who drives the car to 100K or even 150K miles and gets a new one then yes...that's true since at about 100K miles many of the things on the car are worn out and the car starts running "dull" and not as sharp as it used to... you can drive the dull car around as much as you want but until you change the fuel filter, or the O2 sensor or what have you, the car will continue driving duller and duller
Old 11-12-2005, 10:56 AM

Yeah, fuel filters do this, They help to block bad stuff going from the fuel into the engine...eventually that bad stuff builds up. Thus, you'd need to change it. You might also want to grab yourself a set of Upgraded Motor Mounts, VERY HELPFUL!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I like how you argue for your dumbass advice by starting off with a fallacy.

ANY filter just like any part of your car can go bad. That doesnt mean your advice is good. The stock cat-back exhaust can go bad but its made for the life of the car. Would you recommend him to replace his stock header? Its about as likely to be the culprit.

EVERY SINGLE THREAD with performance problems has some asshat saying 'change your fuel filter'. A fuel filter is not like an air filter or an oil filter. Gas already is filtered and refined BEFORE you put it in your car and there are no moving parts in your gas tank. Therefore the fuel filter really doesnt have to filter much.

to you for even mentioning the fuel filter. His fuel filter being the cause is about as likely as his rear seats causing too much drag

Modified by FuNkDrSpOt at 9:29 PM 11/11/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

there are some situations though that filters may get clogged and need replaced.

gas tanks do rust.... thats moving particles in your gas, fuel lines rust........thats moving particles in your gas, pieces of old hoses from gas pumps have flaked off and entered gas tanks.......thats moving particles in your gas = clogged fuel filter = less fuel = less power
Old 11-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha...i noticed ever thread where someone suggested a fuel filter...funk goes nuts, busting it on everyone
Old 11-12-2005, 01:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (vancoland)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vancoland &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha...i noticed ever thread where someone suggested a fuel filter...funk goes nuts, busting it on everyone</TD></TR></TABLE>

No ****...I think if you lose % for posting the owls, saying repost, or things like suspetise, then fun should lose 2% every time he uses the words fuel filter and liftime in a post.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GetawayInMoscow)

For all of you reading this,

Fuel filter is recommended to be changed as a maintenance, but doesn't mean you have to. Your fuel filter may still function like a brand new one, so who cares? Maybe people change them just for "peace of mind"...I don't know.

As for the original poster, you might want to try checking your exhaust system. Did you change your exhaust?
Old 11-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Banned

My short ram intake gave a much better engine response. $80

Normal tune up items may or may not help, throw some fuel line cleaner in the tank, plugs, cap, rotor. Some people are really critical about their plug wires and change them every 30,000mi, I think it may be overkill, but hey it might help.

When I changed my fuel filter, a ton of black crap came out of it.....and that was from always running premium gas...cant imagine the people who run rot gut gas. Wether or not it will give you more response is debateable...I'd think not. The interval in my manual is also shown as 60,000 mi.

Funk, people will listen to explanations and reasoning more than insults.

Modified by schlit at 2:30 PM 11/12/2005
Old 11-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I change my fuel filter once a year. Why, it costs $10 and takes 5 min. A clogged fuel filter will bog your car down. Plus you may get water or other crap in there. Everytime I change it, there is crap that comes out.

Quick Reply: Is there anything can be done to improve engine response?