Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6?

Ive heard of people putting different motor heads on their engines...especially B16 and B18, but are there any other options for my D16Z6?
Old 12-27-2005, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (metalmex777)

Why would you want a different head for your z6?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (JimmyAtlantis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimmyAtlantis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would you want a different head for your z6?</TD></TR></TABLE>

he doesnt know any better
Old 12-27-2005, 12:40 PM

because i really love the power that my stock D16Z6 puts off, but I'm wondering if I could put a B16 head on it cause I really love the apperance of DOHC on the top of my engine!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:46 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by metalmex777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because i really love the power that my stock D16Z6 puts off, but I'm wondering if I could put a B16 head on it cause I really love the apperance of DOHC on the top of my engine!</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. Ah, to be young and completely, blithely ignorant of everything.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by metalmex777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because i really love the power that my stock D16Z6 puts off, but I'm wondering if I could put a B16 head on it cause I really love the apperance of DOHC on the top of my engine!</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not going to work, bro. You can't but B on D or D on B.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL. Ah, to be young and completely, blithely ignorant of everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Instead of flaming let's educate. He wants DOHC. Couldn't he put a DOHC ZC head on his d16?
Old 12-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (Archidictus)

ahh... to be in love.

First check out http://www.d-series.org: your total d-series total quality management solution.

you could go with a y7/y8 head, which is still SOHC, has a bit smaller compression chamber than the z6, not by much. The stock configuration puts out 9.13 cr. With the y7/y8 head, you're at 9.45 cr. Whoopie doo.. 5wHP for a totally different head and the hassle of changing ODB1 to ODB0. NOT!

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...c.php

A ZC DOHC head will fit a z6 (I think it will) but still won't make the hp you need (again + 5whp), unless you're just going for looks! (which is obvious)

In any case, with either of the situations you're stuck with crappy and costly ODB conversions. if you car has ODB1 (which it does), stay with the z6, it's easy and cheap. Again, unless you going just for looks...and you have tons of $$

What options do you have:

- basic bolts-on ~$1.5K: cold air intake, exhaust header, muffler, free-flow cat, ECU upgrade. you're probably at 120 whp
- head upgrades $1.5K: machine work, port and polish head, new cam, spring, retainers, cam gear, more ECU updates
- bottom end rebuild, $1.5K, machine work, new OEM stuff, p29 pistons, another ECU update, etc. gets you 12.1 cr you're at ~150-160 whp (up from 108 whp)

http://www.d-series.org/forums...pp=20

- turbo with stock build z6 $3K+ probably from 140-200 whp

- motor swap to a B or H series, $3K+

Do your homework before you make any decisions!

http://www.d-series.org

Modified by martyr1391 at 4:13 PM 12/27/2005
Old 12-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by metalmex777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because i really love the power that my stock D16Z6 puts off, but I'm wondering if I could put a B16 head on it cause I really love the apperance of DOHC on the top of my engine!</TD></TR></TABLE> this guys a joke. i shall quote myself again <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96dxpower &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he doesnt know any better</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (martyr1391)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by martyr1391 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ahh... to be in love.

First check out http://www.d-series.org: your total d-series total quality management solution.

you could go with a y7/y8 head, which is still SOHC, has a bit smaller compression chamber than the z6, not by much. The stock configuration puts out 9.13 cr. With the y7/y8 head, you're at 9.45 cr. Whoopie doo.. 5wHP for a totally different head and the hassle of changing ODB1 to ODB0. NOT!

http://www.c-speedracing.com/h...c.php

A ZC DOHC head will fit a z6 (I think it will) but still won't make the hp you need (again + 5whp), unless you're just going for looks! (which is obvious)

In any case, with either of the situations you're stuck with crappy and costly ODB conversions. if you car has ODB1 (which it does), stay with the z6, it's easy and cheap. Again, unless you going just for looks...and you have tons of $$

What options do you have:

- basic bolts-on ~$1.5K: cold air intake, exhaust header, muffler, free-flow cat, ECU upgrade. you're probably at 120 whp
- head upgrades $1.5K: machine work, port and polish head, new cam, spring, retainers, cam gear, more ECU updates
- bottom end rebuild, $1.5K, machine work, new OEM stuff, p29 pistons, another ECU update, etc. gets you 12.1 cr you're at ~150-160 whp (up from 108 whp)

http://www.d-series.org/forums...pp=20

- turbo with stock build z6 $3K+ probably from 140-200 whp

- motor swap to a B or H series, $3K+

Do your homework before you make any decisions!

http://www.d-series.org

Modified by martyr1391 at 4:13 PM 12/27/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would not change out Z6 head it flows better than all sohc heads!
As far as Turbo build mine cost me about 700 for everything HMT kit and my stock Z6 motor runs 12.9 on street tires @ 114 w/ shitty 60ft because of Falken tires.. There is alot more you can do w/ Z6 motor than you think you just have to do some searching and get your budget straight. Come over to http://www.d-series.org if you want to learn more and make your car alot faster for alot less money than swapping or overhauling everything..
Old 12-28-2005, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (berettagtz117)

Turbo's for $700. Nice!
Old 12-28-2005, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (martyr1391)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by martyr1391 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo's for $700. Nice!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Turbo KITS DIY is the way to go.

On another note... if you really want that B look for your D head... its just 2 simple steps.

Take this...

Get yourself some of this....

And pop it over your current valve cover Apply tape liberaly for correct fitment (and we know how adhesive adds HP, as proven by all the sticker feinds out there)

Boom... done.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:31 PM

hey i have also read that you can install a D16A8 head from a Acura Integra onto my D16Z6! Can anybody clarify this for me?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by metalmex777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey i have also read that you can install a D16A8 head from a Acura Integra onto my D16Z6! Can anybody clarify this for me?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think so...
Old 12-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by metalmex777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey i have also read that you can install a D16A8 head from a Acura Integra onto my D16Z6! Can anybody clarify this for me?</TD></TR></TABLE>
no point in swapping ANY head onto a Z6 unless it was a built z6 head.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:41 PM

What is this world coming to... LoL asshat

I heard the k series heads go on there quite well but your blinker gasket will need to be changed...

And remember boys and girls...
JDMatters
Old 12-28-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (TulowSi)

metalmex777, i think you need to spend some time roaming the forums and using th search function (I mean that in the nicest [sp] way). If something confuses you and you are just plain curious just type it the search and keep trying till you find it, might take some time but its worth it

I'm no D-series guru, but i wouldn't touch anything other than the z6 head
Old 12-28-2005, 11:09 PM
z6
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by metalmex777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive heard of people putting different motor heads on their engines...especially B16 and B18, but are there any other options for my D16Z6? </TD></TR></TABLE>ignorance at its finest
Old 12-28-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (eXcelonTypeR)

alright Z6 is where im gonna stick and if i have any different feelings im gonna go to a engine swap...and this guy was probably the most mature out of all of yall...im still kinda new to the whole Honda Civic thing but I know that my dads 1996 Supercharged V6 Toyota Camry could beat the majority of yall...so yeah dont worry ill be the next person to come up to the drag strip with the most distinct JDM feel out there and performance to boot. See yall at the drag strip and remember keep it legal fools...http://www.rasr.info/...go to this site and become a real drag racer!!!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:03 AM
oo3
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by splitime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
On another note... if you really want that B look for your D head... its just 2 simple steps.

Take this...

Get yourself some of this....

And pop it over your current valve cover Apply tape liberaly for correct fitment (and we know how adhesive adds HP, as proven by all the sticker feinds out there)

Boom... done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHAHAHAHA......now that's a classic.....
Old 01-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by metalmex777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright Z6 is where im gonna stick and if i have any different feelings im gonna go to a engine swap...and this guy was probably the most mature out of all of yall...im still kinda new to the whole Honda Civic thing but I know that my dads 1996 Supercharged V6 Toyota Camry could beat the majority of yall...so yeah dont worry ill be the next person to come up to the drag strip with the most distinct JDM feel out there and performance to boot. See yall at the drag strip and remember keep it legal fools...http://www.rasr.info/...go to this site and become a real drag racer!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
LOL supercharged camry...scary!!!! haha camrys aren't ****.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

omg dude a supercahrge camry might beat somebody's sohc no vtec car... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 01-02-2006, 05:17 PM

Default Re: (Ninefivejiggaja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ninefivejiggaja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omg dude a supercahrge camry might beat somebody's sohc no vtec car... AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not likely @ all..
Old 01-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by metalmex777 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright Z6 is where im gonna stick and if i have any different feelings im gonna go to a engine swap...and this guy was probably the most mature out of all of yall...im still kinda new to the whole Honda Civic thing but I know that my dads 1996 Supercharged V6 Toyota Camry could beat the majority of yall...so yeah dont worry ill be the next person to come up to the drag strip with the most distinct JDM feel out there and performance to boot. See yall at the drag strip and remember keep it legal fools...http://www.rasr.info/...go to this site and become a real drag racer!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

first he seemed pretty nice and just curious but then he started to talk like everyone else on H-T by becoming and ***.

if you have z6 keep the z6. none of the other heads that you want to put on your bottom end have what you have which is vtec. vtec equals power some love some hate it. the a8,a9 all have about the same amount of power as the z6 but because of the slight aggust in power after certain rpm the z6 head is a little better. i dont know a lot about motors but i know this much.

KEEP THE Z6
Dual Cams is better then one
but..
VTEC is number one
(get it number one...SOHC)
Old 01-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (vega_box)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vega_box &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but..
VTEC is number one
(get it number one...SOHC) </TD></TR></TABLE>

Except the Vtec system on the single cams is a complete joke. You're only fooling yourself if you think anything otherwise. To promote it like its going to make a huge difference is just foolish.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Except the Vtec system on the single cams is a complete joke. You're only fooling yourself if you think anything otherwise. To promote it like its going to make a huge difference is just foolish.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know I know . I'm just trying to make myself feel better. There really is no signaficant power felt when vtec kicks in on a SOHC. Except for if you have a fart can you get louder. But my DX did that when I took it to 4,000 too.

but hey call it the poor man b16

Quick Reply: Is there any other heads i can put on my D16Z6?