Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is there any DOHC motors for a 92-95 civic automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there any DOHC motors for a 92-95 civic automatic?

i have a auto hatch 92 and want to keep it an auto the probem is i want a DOCH motor and cant seem to find one that will bolt to the 92 d series auto tranny i know the ZC outta a 88-91 will bolt and is also farily easy to drop in but will it run right and where do the 2 wires on the exhust cam sensor run to if i do this swap or would i have to convert the ecm wireing to all ECM outta crx to work right now im runnin a D16Z6 but want a dohc with auto
Old 01-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is there any DOHC motors for a 92-95 civic automatic? (92MiniMeHatch)

they have a zc dohc thats obd1 too
but everybody in her are going to tell you thats its gonna be waste of money being an auto but hey its your ride if it makes you happy then so be it
Old 01-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: is there any DOHC motors for a 92-95 civic automatic? (92MiniMeHatch)

Any DOHC will work with an automatic transmission. You just need the correct transmission for it. For example, and B series automatic tranny will work with any B series motor.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Re: is there any DOHC motors for a 92-95 civic automatic? (JDM-EJ1)

Get a B series automatic trans and you can use the B16 automatics as long as you have the correct ECU. Although why on earth you would actually spend money on that I have no idea.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: is there any DOHC motors for a 92-95 civic automatic? (JDM-EJ1)

will the b series motor be to drop in is it a derict bolt n
Old 01-28-2006, 04:12 PM

i just thank it will be fun to build a auto you never see that
Old 01-28-2006, 06:00 PM

I have heard that a b16a2 automatic can't be put in because of something about the tranny pin conversion...... atleast thats what I have been told my a shop
Old 01-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (viper1984)

auto ls swap...
Old 01-28-2006, 06:22 PM
I cursed out BauleyCivic and got banned

Default Re: (StreetEG)

do u guyz think automatics are that slow? the only comperiosn i have is my auto d16z6 vs a 4 dr manual d16y7 and its wayy slower jw
Old 01-29-2006, 12:18 AM

I think its just personal preference.....
Old 01-29-2006, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO it will NOT work, at least not easily.
1. The auto B series tranny will not fit without you cutting/trimming the framerail on the passenger side of the engine bay.

2. There are no mount kits for such a swap, so you must fab up a rear and topside tranny bracket and mount.

3. Getting the engine and tranny to work might prove difficult because of the differences in the ECUs. I know on a 98 Civic we did this wap on there was no possible way to run the engine and trans with the correct ECU because one tranny used it's own ECU, while the other tranny controls were in the engine ECU itself.

In a nutshell:

NO.

Old 01-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VALET dude)

wtf ive seen a delsol that had a b16a2 swap that was an automatic and it looked like it fits perfect. dont really know which mounts he used but if there are jdm civic and jdm teg with b16 and 18c auto from factory then i dont see why it cant be done
Old 01-29-2006, 10:32 AM

Default Re: (dewoine)

yea i agree and but i think im gonna go with a odb1 zc so no problems will occur and with a higher stall converter and all the other goodies they make for the honda auto it would be just a good
Old 01-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dewoine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wtf ive seen a delsol that had a b16a2 swap that was an automatic and it looked like it fits perfect. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do a search on what engine comes in a Del Sol Si, then think about why that swap might've fit.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92MiniMeHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just thank it will be fun to build a auto you never see that</TD></TR></TABLE>

You never see it because there is almost no point in doing it. Sure I suppose it would be a good daily driver but thats about the only positive aspect of doing something like this.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92MiniMeHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92MiniMeHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> a higher stall converter and all the other goodies they make for the honda auto it would be just a good</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea maybe but the money you put into the auto tranny you could just easliy convert to 5spd..
Old 01-29-2006, 11:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (haveaniceday)

Why not try theHybrid Forum?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sh!ttyLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh!ttyLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do a search on what engine comes in a Del Sol Si, then think about why that swap might've fit.

You never see it because there is almost no point in doing it. Sure I suppose it would be a good daily driver but thats about the only positive aspect of doing something like this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i understand that but im not talkong about a usdm b16a2 this was a this was from a sir2 from the 92 -95 civic sir auto matic
now on the auto thing man if you want to do it then do it i remember when i didnt even want to touch a 5spd i had a 89 4dr with a zc auto swap and i loved it i wasnt trying to copete with nobody im in a small town so not much down here in the first place i say go ahead and do it

people that say its a waste of money but other people will say its a waste of money to even drive a honda period this wil keep going and going
Old 01-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: (Sh!ttyLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh!ttyLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do a search on what engine comes in a Del Sol Si, then think about why that swap might've fit.</TD></TR></TABLE>Wow, the del sol si comes with a d16, that helps alot tool. The del sol vtec is the one that came with the b16, but thanks for your input.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sh!ttyLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You never see it because there is almost no point in doing it. Sure I suppose it would be a good daily driver but thats about the only positive aspect of doing something like this.</TD></TR></TABLE>Opionative statement. Absolutely no help to the original poster. End yourself.

O.P. check this out https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1322181 I don't know if he ever got his car up and running, but I sent him a pm to find out for you. I will let you know once I get a response. I would imagine, if funds are available, that an ls auto swap will render the results that you are looking for. People hate on auto trannys but, again with funds permitting, you can make them shift quicker than any of these tools can shift a 5sp. Plus, there is the possibility for an ls/vtec head swap. And, add boost to the equation, you get full boost shifts. This is my 2 cents. Pm me with any questions and I'll try to help.

-Red
Old 01-29-2006, 11:36 AM

maybe these will help a little

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=378393

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=392899

not so civic and hybrid_kj both have posted in the last couple days, try sending them a pm they might be able to help you
Old 01-29-2006, 11:42 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (EGDC2CIVIC)

Going from a D16Z6 to a DOHC ZC is not an upgrade. Keeping an automatic transmission in any kind of factory trim is going to add 0.8 - 1.5 seconds to your E.T. over the same engine with a decent driver and a manual. If you want to play with automatic transmissions - which isn't as rare as you'd think - you need to get in touch with "LEVEL 10" and have them build it for you as Honda slushboxes are notorious for shitting the bed at any kind of abuse level over stock.

Also, it will be much more fun, much more cheap and much more flexible to convert to 5-speed. A DOHC ZC backed by an automatic transmission in a CRX is going to run a mid-15 at best.

That's just not worth the money in my opinion.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:53 AM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

ok so heres the deal the car is and will only be my daily driver to get back and forth to work this car will never see a track and the z6 is almost dead (piston rings) im not trying to build a race car just a daily driver that profroms well i also have a 92 teg with b20 bottom end b16 head thats the car i will be toying with for the track
Old 01-29-2006, 11:54 AM

sell the auto and use that money to buy a 5spd then swap.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: (vATTACK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vATTACK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sell the auto and use that money to buy a 5spd then swap.</TD></TR></TABLE>Reading owns you n00b.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92MiniMeHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a auto hatch 92 and want to keep it an auto </TD></TR></TABLE>Did the link I provided help at all?

-Red
Old 01-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nitrared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nitrared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, the del sol si comes with a d16, that helps alot tool. The del sol vtec is the one that came with the b16, but thanks for your input.

Opionative statement. Absolutely no help to the original poster. End yourself.

-Red</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh man.
step awaayyyy from the honda-tech there buddy.
When i said Del Sol Si, I of course meant the Del Sol vtec, I apologize for that massive slip-up .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dewoine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i understand that but im not talkong about a usdm b16a2 this was a this was from a sir2 from the 92 -95 civic sir auto matic
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That might be true, but what I was referring to is the fact that its relatively the same size and design, thats why it probably worked better in that case.

*prepares to be pathetically e-thugged again*
Old 01-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by viper1984 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think its just personal preference.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

and i guess he prefers to be slow.

Quick Reply: is there any DOHC motors for a 92-95 civic automatic?