Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Test Pipe Vs High Flow

Old 02-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Pipe Vs High Flow

Ok guys first off before you rip me ive searched and searched and there have been 1000 people out here talking about this and about 1000 different opinons, but im just looking for a few good opinions and point of views so thank you in advance. I have a 00 Ex w/ a D16Y8 (intake, cat-back)..:-( but im putting a new header on soon, so i figured why im down there i should jsut try to free up the exhaust a little more and replace my stock cat with either a test pipe or a high flow cat from carsound. Now im not worried about passing emissions cause im either way im screwed so im just gonna put the stock cat back in come emissons time, and i have an obd1 ecu that im gonna put in there once i replace the cat so i dont throw a cel. But my main question is will a test pipe make any significant difference over a high flow cat? and i have a Apexi N1, so im assuming that test pipe is gonna make my car loud, raspy, and ricey as ****, which is really not what im looking for...so just give me your opinions guys, i appreciate it
Old 02-17-2007, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (redvtec00)

if you drive in the higher rpms its gonna sound high and raspy. test pipe doesnt do much. hondas are very well engineered i saw a dyno where they put a b16 with a stock cat vs test pipe vs high flow cat. the biggest difference was the test pipe (obviously) and the gain was around 3 horses in the last 500 last rpm. not worth it to me.

but if your going to do something at least get the high flow cat or hollow out your current cat if its already going to crap out.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (96civb18c1)

ya i was just thinking the same thing, for a daily driver, i think a high flow would be fine, and i really doubt ill see much of a difference from that to a test pipe on a lightly modded Y8 anyways, if anyone else has anythign let me know, or if anyone has a carsound high flow on their EJ8 let me know how they fit..and what not
Old 02-17-2007, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (96civb18c1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96civb18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but if your going to do something at least get the high flow cat or hollow out your current cat if its already going to crap out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and will save you the money
Old 02-17-2007, 02:16 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (honda97hb)

you have a d16 with bolt on's. leave your stock cat on.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (doood)

i have a 97 d16y8 with intake, header and custom rear section. it sounded good but it was too high pitched and at the top end it got raspy. so i went onto ebay and bought a high flow cat for 13 bucks and put that on in my buddys driveway and it made the tone deeper and got rid of all the raspy ****. idk if every high flow cat is like mine but mine is basically a glass pack. just an expansion chamber with fiberglass and a pipe with holes drilled all along the inside. i was very happy with the sound and with the header and custom rear section already on there i could feel a lil difference when i put it on. it had alot more bottom end torque but also let the bitch breathe on the top end. i put a test pipe on before i found the high flow cat and i hate the raspy bullshit at the top end.
i would go with a high flow cat bro. look on ebay cause they got good **** and its cheap as hell
Old 02-17-2007, 03:13 PM
been there done that

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (97exd16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97exd16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 97 d16y8 with intake, header and custom rear section. it sounded good but it was too high pitched and at the top end it got raspy. so i went onto ebay and bought a high flow cat for 13 bucks and put that on in my buddys driveway and it made the tone deeper and got rid of all the raspy ****. idk if every high flow cat is like mine but mine is basically a glass pack. just an expansion chamber with fiberglass and a pipe with holes drilled all along the inside. i was very happy with the sound and with the header and custom rear section already on there i could feel a lil difference when i put it on. it had alot more bottom end torque but also let the bitch breathe on the top end. i put a test pipe on before i found the high flow cat and i hate the raspy bullshit at the top end.
i would go with a high flow cat bro. look on ebay cause they got good **** and its cheap as hell</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's not a cat. that's a resonator.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (doood)

I used my old cat on my setup...I just pounded all the **** inside and took it all out...welded a straight pipe inside the cat..and put it back on my exhaust setup...

so it looks like I have a cat...but its straight piped...
Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 PM

go with the magnaflow (carsound) cat. you can get a direct fit for your car that has an o2 hole on it. part #22628. i picked 1 up on ebay for only $130 shipped. you wont have to worry about failing emissions with this cat, as long as your car is 8 years old or has over 80,000 miles on it.

i read on a site that dyno'd a test pipe and a carsound cat on the same car that the test pipe produced only 1 extra hp.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:04 PM

If you go to boost it run the test pipe, but imo if your keeping it n/a run the high flow it will sound much better.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (ivannaciv)

alright thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it
Old 02-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about using a resonator in place of the cat, you think better that the high flow, or do you think it really doesnt make a **** of difference what i route i go cuz that seems to be the theme of this, the resonator is def the cheapest route if it actually fits which is constant worry about ebay
Old 02-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone with experience on these resonators..? or should i just take the hit and get a high flow carsound
Old 02-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and why would i not fail if my car is 8 years old or over 80,000 miles...?
Old 02-18-2007, 01:49 AM

You have a 2000 Civic EX so thats OBD2, your car needs that cat to WORK so the motor knows how run. That pretty looking 02 sensor just after the cat lets the ECU know how the car is running to rich or lean.

So if you dont have a cat to heat up and burn off excess exhaust your ECU is going to think your car is running like crap and in lame terms De-Tune or retard it's self.

I have seen poeple get more Wheel HP on dynos with stock manifolds and exhaust than all this after market stuff. I agree its hard to belive espically since I used to be the bolt on king, but the numbers dont lie and I saw it twice on 2 diffrent cars with my own eyes.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:43 AM

my bad. what i wrote may have sounded misleading.

your stock cat is designed to last the life of your car without being replaced. if you change it to a test pipe you will not be able to pass emissions, and if a cop checks for your cat you can get a ticket if the stock 1 is missing.

you can however change it after 8 years or 80,000 miles. my carsound cat came with a sheet of paper for me to sign as well as a mechanic, stating the old cat was bad or my car is at least 8 years old or has 80,000 miles on it. in the future i need to show this slip before the emission tests start. it wont automatically pass me for emissions. i still need my car tested.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (nateberry103)

ok to nateberry, i had stated in my original post that my car will be converted over to an obd1 p28, thus elimating that cel problem, and i will have no worries about the car running bad because with the obd1 ecu it doesn look to read a second o2. But i think im gonna go with a carsound high flow it just sounds the best of the two options, so thanks for the help guys
Old 02-18-2007, 06:05 PM

Any car that runs with an o2 sensor needs a cat to run proper (as long as the O2 is after the cat). OBD1 the o2 is still after the cat (look it up) even an EF (OBD0) has an 02 after the cat, and if you did convert an obd2 car to obd1 you would never passemission w/o a friends help and some cash, just make sure Johny Law doesnt catch ya if you go that route!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (nateberry103)

i have a crx n it doesnt have an 02 after the cat...only at the header so ur wrong on that one...i know for a fact ek's do have a second 02 cus i was putting in a header in my friends ek the other day.....i personally have used both a high flow cat n test pipe...i had a high flow cat for a while but when i isntalled my header the high flow cat would block my shift linkage n i couldnt shift so i had to get a test pipe made with a slight bend to clear the shift linkage....when i had the high flow cat my car was deeper n harder to keep quiet, n with the test pipe it got higher piched or how u guys say (raspy) but it was easyer to keep it quiet when 5.0 was around....i dont really think theres a performance diff so its just w.e floats ur boat i guess...
Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (BlueRex1020)

Yup, I was wrong on OBDO , cause my EF was converted to OBD1 w/a B16A swap! Stupid me, oh well you cant right all the time
Old 02-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow

OBD1 = 1 O2 on header, pre-cat
OBD2 = 1 O2 on header, pre-cat & 1 O2 on cat, post-catalyst
Old 02-19-2007, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (EKcivicEX)

yup thats what i always thought thank you
Old 02-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is not directed solely at the OP.

First of all, it's a hefty *** federal fine if you get caught w/out a cat on the street.

Secondly, removing the cat makes your exhaust smell bad, makes it sound bad, and it leaves nasty black soot on your bumper. How cool is that? Just so you know, all the domestic people I know lump us all together w/people that do that and call us stupid *** riceboys. Which you are, if you do something so stupid for 1-3 hp. How pitiful.

Thirdly, hollowing out your stock cat reduces horsepower because the open chamber creates turbulence. If you shove a pipe inside, then I have to wonder how much a restriction from the loss in diameter you have created. Seems pretty stupid when you can just run your stock cat or a high flow cat. The difference in hp is very very small. In fact, on a car with just bolt ons, there is NO difference in hp.

On a flowbench, it's been proven that a decent brand highflow cat flows the same as a test pipe. Test pipes are for dedicated track cars that never see the street. Since they run a rich mixture and super high exhaust temps, a cat converter would be destroyed in very short order. Your street car is not a dedicated racecar. So don't be poser.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (suspendedHatch)

just get a hi flow cat. you will get about the same results as a test pipe without the bad smell/sound and the risk of getting fined.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:40 AM
pli
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test Pipe Vs High Flow (EH-3)

get carsound high flow cat by magnaflow. its epa approved so you can pass emissions.

maybe this will help. its taken from http://www.car-sound.com

http://images.magnaflow.com/05...c.pdf