Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

test pipe issue plz help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test pipe issue plz help

ok i recently got a test pipe and a catback exhaust. i put everything together. where the o2 bung is in the test pipe, i put the o2. it sticks out very close to the shift linkage and when u change gears it tapped the wires loose. now i have a check engine light. this a 98 ex. it doesn't look like i have any room. any help would be appreciated. i'm searching right now btw.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:26 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: test pipe issue plz help (TURBODC4TEG)

Does the test pipe not have a floating flange for the header to attach to? It may simply be that the pipe you bought suffers from poor fitment.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Re: test pipe issue plz help (Padawan)

what test pipe is it? most of them arent designed well at all and this isnt the first time i have heard of this. are u able to turn it around(spin it 180 degrees??) and just extend the wires for the o2 sensor and ull be fine if u can actually do that. other than that i would look into getting another one and look to see where the new ones o2 bung is.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: test pipe issue plz help (cartune network)

you have a cel because you have a secondary o2 and test pipe...the ecu thinks your cat is fucked up and is making your motor run lean.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: test pipe issue plz help (speedooo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you have a cel because you have a secondary o2 and test pipe...the ecu thinks your cat is fucked up and is making your motor run lean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its a high flow cat, its a cheap one. it didn't throw a check engine light before. the sensor sticks out to far and where the shift linkage is it hits the sensor and wiring. can i get a cheap header and use the second 02 and extend the wires for the secondary? btw this is for my cheap daily driver.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBODC4TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its a high flow cat, its a cheap one. it didn't throw a check engine light before. the sensor sticks out to far and where the shift linkage is it hits the sensor and wiring. can i get a cheap header and use the second 02 and extend the wires for the secondary? btw this is for my cheap daily driver. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you checked what the CEL is? Most "cheap high-flow cats" are simply resonated test pipes, and when used on an OBD-2 vehicle, they will result in a CEL for the missing cat. In that situation, it's not a problem with the sensors. At times, it can also take a short while for the CEL to appear after a test pipe is installed.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm having a hard time picturing your linkage knocking loose an o2 sensor.

I think you have a cel just because of the exhaust reading the working o2 sensor is getting.

Are you SURE the o2 sensor just got knocked loose? Or are you making assumptions?
Old 08-23-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: test pipe issue plz help (ek forever guy)

I have a test pipe as well and had this exact problem. The o2 sensor was to long with the offset and the wires would fray as they rubbed the bottom of the chassie... not the shift linkage. It cause it to ground out then. The way I fixed it was getting another o2 sensor that has a flexible top that could be bent, this allowed space for it to move around.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: test pipe issue plz help (HCivicSi23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a test pipe as well and had this exact problem. The o2 sensor was to long with the offset and the wires would fray as they rubbed the bottom of the chassie... not the shift linkage. It cause it to ground out then. The way I fixed it was getting another o2 sensor that has a flexible top that could be bent, this allowed space for it to move around. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks, i'm sure, it wasn't throwing a check engine before. it is longer and the wires do hit the linkage. i was up under the car and saw it. it only hits when u put the car in 5th or reverse.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you checked what the CEL is?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 PM

His ce would say that the secondary 02 sensor has failed, meaning it's not working. When the wires fray, they ground out and will blow a fuse causing it to throw a cel. Look for an 02 sensor that has a plastic top thats flexible.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBODC4TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thanks, i'm sure, it wasn't throwing a check engine before. it is longer and the wires do hit the linkage. i was up under the car and saw it. it only hits when u put the car in 5th or reverse. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont get it. Why a test pipe for your "daily driver that you dont care about"?

Is the 1hp really worth the extra air pollution? Give me your adress...because if i cant breath in 20 years, im going to come to your house and take a dump on your chest.

Why dont you just put the OEM cat on and forget the headaches. The secondary O2 sensor is reading something besides catalyzed air (laymans terms). That's why your CEL is on.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">His ce would say that the secondary 02 sensor has failed, meaning it's not working. When the wires fray, they ground out and will blow a fuse causing it to throw a cel. Look for an 02 sensor that has a plastic top thats flexible.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He hasn't stated that the wires are frayed, and only seems to be assuming that the CEL is for a damaged or malfunctioning secondary O2. It's entirely possible the the CEL is for the missing cat, in which case replacing the sensor would be a waste of time.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:59 PM

Thats why I replaced the sensor and screwed it back into the offset and it's been working ever sense... and to top it off... I passed emissions with it on.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats why I replaced the sensor and screwed it back into the offset and it's been working ever sense... and to top it off... I passed emissions with it on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What state are you from now?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: test pipe issue plz help (97Ej6mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What state are you from now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Midwest region.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: test pipe issue plz help (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dont get it. Why a test pipe for your "daily driver that you dont care about"?

Is the 1hp really worth the extra air pollution? Give me your adress...because if i cant breath in 20 years, im going to come to your house and take a dump on your chest.

Why dont you just put the OEM cat on and forget the headaches. The secondary O2 sensor is reading something besides catalyzed air (laymans terms). That's why your CEL is on. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i checked the code and it is the secondary o2. reason why i got is it was free. the cat on the car when i bought it wasn't on there. it was hollowed out. so why not. the shifter hits the o2 sensor i also extended the wires there isn't much room. i will figure something out. thats why hate honda-tech u ask a ******* question and a few people help but the rest flame and are ********. why did u buy or get what u wanted for your car? because u wanted to right! if you were smart you would realize that the pollution they the media talks about isn't that bad. watch cnn bitch
Old 08-24-2007, 12:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBODC4TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes i checked the code and it is the secondary o2. reason why i got is it was free. the cat on the car when i bought it wasn't on there. it was hollowed out. so why not. the shifter hits the o2 sensor i also extended the wires there isn't much room. i will figure something out. thats why hate honda-tech u ask a ******* question and a few people help but the rest flame and are ********. why did u buy or get what u wanted for your car? because u wanted to right! if you were smart you would realize that the pollution they the media talks about isn't that bad. watch cnn bitch</TD></TR></TABLE>

really?

well do this then:

Park in a garage. Close the garage. Start the car.

Think you could survive that if "pollution isnt that bad" coming out of an uncatted car?

I gave you a solution to your CEL problem. I was just asking why you would put a test pipe on a street car? "i do what i want" is the answer 5 year olds who think they're bad give to their mommies when they dont finish their mac n cheese. It's not a logical answer. Your car pollutes the same air that EVERYONE breathes.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

really?

well do this then:

Park in a garage. Close the garage. Start the car.

Think you could survive that if "pollution isnt that bad" coming out of an uncatted car?

I gave you a solution to your CEL problem. I was just asking why you would put a test pipe on a street car? "i do what i want" is the answer 5 year olds who think they're bad give to their mommies when they dont finish their mac n cheese. It's not a logical answer. Your car pollutes the same air that EVERYONE breathes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i know that, when did this turn into a debate on the air in the world lol. its a high flow cat, not a straight pipe dude.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im confused...the title and first post say test pipe and half of this thread is about a high flow cat
Old 08-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Default Re: test pipe issue plz help (speedooo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im confused...the title and first post say test pipe and half of this thread is about a high flow cat</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah. it's all very confusing. I dont really know what's goin on. So im gonna keep actin tough.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So im gonna keep actin tough.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

E-thug'n.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: test pipe issue plz help (97Ej6mike)

yes it is high flow cat, i couldn't change the title. nvm i hate hondatech ********
Old 08-24-2007, 04:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBODC4TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes it is high flow cat, i couldn't change the title. nvm i hate hondatech ********</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. like me?

Well would it make you feel better if i told you I wasn't really going to take a dump on your chest?

Old 08-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBODC4TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes it is high flow cat, i couldn't change the title. nvm i hate hondatech ********</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your original post still says test pipe. Twice.

Quick Reply: test pipe issue plz help