Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

test pipe headers highflow cat

Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test pipe headers highflow cat

Ok i have a question regarding the replacement of headers, oem cat......im planning to buy headers with test pipe for my 99 civic ex....d16y8....now the question is EMISSIONS?????? will you pass emissions as long as you place the o2sensor before the testpipe???? coz if i wont pass even if i place it there....i would go for the highflow cat......will that pass as well???? if theres anyone from texas in this forum please HOLLA........This will greatly help a lot...

Old 02-28-2008, 12:22 PM

Default Re: test pipe headers highflow cat (zoom24)

i had a d16z6 running dc header test pipe and full hks cat back. ran through emissions with flying colors but thats obd1 you got obd2 so as long as you have no engine lights flying you should be straight
Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Re: test pipe headers highflow cat (b18crx88)

i dunno what type of emissions test you have there @ CT....but yah i dont have any chk eng light.....but here in TX when you take your car for inspection, theres this device that they place inside your muffler....i dunno what that is...i guess that determines the level of polution your car is producing per state regulations...

Old 02-28-2008, 01:50 PM

yeah no i know what your talking about that was the same test i went through and passed. you shouldnt have ne problems
Old 02-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have emissions here and still wish I went with the high flow cat. The test pipe will make your car smell odd, and give you that bumble bee sound. I would definitely go with the high flow cat for sure. Just my experience and my opinion.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:29 PM

Default Re: test pipe headers highflow cat (Bob Dole!)

Thats a good thought man, nice opinion....yah i think the high flow cat will work for me...can you recomend where and what should I get???
Old 02-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Shenanigans

high flow cats are a waste of money for a net of a couple whp. a test pipe is a cheaper and better option, however your car will be much louder since the cat isnt acting to dampen the sound anymore, and if they use a sniffer i dont think youll be able to pass emissions. i had a test pipe, header, and full exhaust with a single resonator on my dseries and it was ridiculously loud and nasally, but if u have a higher displacement motor it sounds much nicer, my h22 gives it a deeper throatier sound and isnt as loud

edit: my car never smelled odd when i installed my test pipe, when i did my exhaust it smelled for like two days while the coating on the inside of the pipes were getting toasted
Old 02-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: test pipe headers highflow cat (H22Ej1)

if you wanna run a test pipe on an obd2, than you can get a blox cell eliminator, or make your own cell eliminator.

i got one on my ex obd2 with test pipe and blox cell eliminator and so far no engine light. although it smells more than before.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zoom24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok i have a question regarding the replacement of headers, oem cat......im planning to buy headers with test pipe for my 99 civic ex....d16y8....now the question is EMISSIONS?????? will you pass emissions as long as you place the o2sensor before the testpipe???? coz if i wont pass even if i place it there....i would go for the highflow cat......will that pass as well???? if theres anyone from texas in this forum please HOLLA........This will greatly help a lot...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Without a cat, you will fail emissions horribly, and your ECU will throw a CEL for there not being a cat (unless you get the elimintor from blox) But even then, if a cop were to look under your car, or you were administered a roadside inspection, youd be screwed. Car will sound liked a can of pissed off bee's/weedwacker too
Old 02-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18crx88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had a d16z6 running dc header test pipe and full hks cat back. ran through emissions with flying colors but thats obd1 you got obd2 so as long as you have no engine lights flying you should be straight</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bull Fu*king ****! Unless your state does not do the sniffer test you are not going to pass with out a cat.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18crx88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had a d16z6 running dc header test pipe and full hks cat back. ran through emissions with flying colors but thats obd1 you got obd2 so as long as you have no engine lights flying you should be straight</TD></TR></TABLE>

Were you running a CX computer or something? I smell BS. Obd1 and no cat thru state inspection. I need to see proof.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zoom24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok i have a question regarding the replacement of headers, oem cat......im planning to buy headers with test pipe for my 99 civic ex....d16y8....now the question is EMISSIONS?????? will you pass emissions as long as you place the o2sensor before the testpipe???? coz if i wont pass even if i place it there....i would go for the highflow cat......will that pass as well???? if theres anyone from texas in this forum please HOLLA........This will greatly help a lot...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just run the stock cat and save yourself the headache.

It wont make much more power anyway with a test pipe. 1 or 2 hp isn't worth breathing shitty air. Your car will pollute, and sound like ***.

No you wont pass emissions with a test pipe unless you have an O2 simulator. The second O2 sensor is a monitor to make sure the cat is present and working at full capacity.

Use the stock cat.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:52 PM

Default Re: test pipe headers highflow cat (B serious)

Ok... that determines what I really need to know. Thanks for your opinion guys....a great help...i would stick with my OEM CAT....that will give me peace of mind and my muffler will meowww instead of a loud growwwwlllll........hehehehe....Thanks again Peeeeeeppppps..... :