Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Test-Only Smog

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test-Only Smog

I always hear people not being to happy about going to test-only smog places. Why is this?
Old 04-23-2004, 01:53 PM

I need an answer.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:57 PM

Default Re: (mario82686)

Because many people have hybrid motors that don't belong in their type of cars.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: (CHRIS 1.8)

???
Old 04-23-2004, 02:02 PM

Test only stations are a little harder on you when you bring in your car. So if you have an exhaust, intake, headers or whatever, be ready to show them your carb exempt papers. If you don't, you will fail. That's about it. For many of us hybrids, we fail. It's lots of work to bring it back to normal standards.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:05 PM
the son and the heir

OK heres the deal:

The only reasons that a person has to go to a 'Test only' station is that
a) your car has been identified as a 'gross-polluter.'
b) you fall in the 15% of the population that is randomly picked every year on top of the 'gross-polluters.'

The 'Test-only' centers are a pain in the ***. They're strict as hell about everything that is put on your car. Everything requires a CARB sticker. I had to go to a test only station and the technician pooped my hood and tlod me to leave. He didn't even test it, just simply said that I had to get it refereed.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:08 PM

Interesting, if you have a jdm B16a in a eg, and you want to get it BAR legalized, do they send you to a Test-only station?
Old 04-23-2004, 02:13 PM

Are there only a small amount of smog locations where you can get your jdm motor referred.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:18 PM
the son and the heir

No, you take it to get a "Bar" test. This is a government back site that checks to see if all smog equipment is there and in working order. For you to pass a Bar test with a JDM motor, the motor has to be newer than the car and have a USDM ecu.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:21 PM

So if I take it to a BAR location and pass, what do I have to do from there? Take it to a regular smog place, test-only place, or no where else?
Old 04-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=840063

Dude we helped you out in this thread already, you have to make everything USDM call the number thats there and take care of it.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test-Only Smog (mario82686)

There is one good thing about test only stations as compared to gas station test centers.

THEY WILL NOT TRY AND RIP YOU OFF AND SAY YOU NEED TO GET WROK DONE/PURCHASE PARTS FROM THEM FOR YOU TO PASS.

This doesn't necessarily apply to us 'tuners' but it is a plus to the average joe that needs a smog. I have seen plenty of people that have been duked at those so called gas station smog centers.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:46 PM
the son and the heir

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mario82686 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So if I take it to a BAR location and pass, what do I have to do from there? Take it to a regular smog place, test-only place, or no where else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Once you pass the bar, you car is SMOGGED then and right there and all information is then relayed to the DMv. It costs 38 dollars and is essentially a smog test also. Actually cheaper than a 'Test-only' station also.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:49 PM
PlastikOwl

Default Re: (macrosshn)

my 1988 gas cap still passed when I smogged the crx :D
Old 04-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PlastikOwl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by macrosshn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK heres the deal:

The only reasons that a person has to go to a 'Test only' station is that
a) your car has been identified as a 'gross-polluter.'
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never had a problem w/ passing at either a gas station or a test-only station. I was wondering if you don't pass, does a record get sent to the DMV or do you simply keep bringing it back until it passes? macrosshn mentioned earlier that if your vehicle is labeled as a "gross-polluter," you will have to bring your car to a test-only station every time you get a smog check. When your car gets labeled as a "gross-polluter," is that label permanent like a salvage title and would it lower the vehicle's resale value?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:47 PM
the son and the heir

Default Re: (EricUSC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have never had a problem w/ passing at either a gas station or a test-only station. I was wondering if you don't pass, does a record get sent to the DMV or do you simply keep bringing it back until it passes? macrosshn mentioned earlier that if your vehicle is labeled as a "gross-polluter," you will have to bring your car to a test-only station every time you get a smog check. When your car gets labeled as a "gross-polluter," is that label permanent like a salvage title and would it lower the vehicle's resale value?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think a car being labeled as a gross polluter has to do with the type of engine that was originally in the car and what it displaces. I know my 91 240sx was labeled as a gross polluter (maybe because it had a 2.4) but my Civic is definitely not a gross polluter. It just happened to be among the 15% chosen at random every year.

I truly don't think the 'gross polluter' title follows your title like a salvage moniker would and does not depreciate the value of a car. I hope this helps
Old 04-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was wondering if you don't pass, does a record get sent to the DMV or do you simply keep bringing it back until it passes? </TD></TR></TABLE>

it depends on your smog technician. if he aborts the test before it is finalized, then the DMV won't know about it. It also helps to pretest your car before the actual test. it will save you money in the long run if you aren't sure about your car passing the sniffer.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:55 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b cruz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it depends on your smog technician. if he aborts the test before it is finalized, then the DMV won't know about it. It also helps to pretest your car before the actual test. it will save you money in the long run if you aren't sure about your car passing the sniffer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I don't think the DMV even looks at it when you fail. I mean I had to take my failed notice to them so i could get an extension. They had no clue if it failed. The Smog station actaully sends it to them electronically or gives you the paper work to take it to the DMV.

Also, the smog technician does not really have the option to deny you without running the emissions test. I mean it was good he turned you away and you saved money. But by law, they must run a complete diagnostic before they can officially reject you.

Remember, these guys are only normal mechanics and stuff. They are a little more strict (sucks for us) but it doesn't mean they know everything. I failed my smog only test because of my adjustable cam gears and no carb sticker for the intake. He said everything else was fine. But I had jdm 4-1 headers, skunk2 intake manifold, FPR and gauge, and not to mention a JDM B16a sirII swap. But all of those were fine. So he most likely would have passed me if i had the stock intake and a valve cover that covered the cams. Go figure.