Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

temperature is low when driving on long roads and normal at city driving why???

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temperature is low when driving on long roads and normal at city driving why???

ok i think it may be my thermostat that is bad but just want some insights from you guys before i change it out. when i drive on long roads like highways then my temperature would drop down real low to the C and when driving in the city it would stay at the normal temperature. all fan works on the car so that is no the issue here. also if driving like this for a while will it ruin the motor since it would be running colder than the normal temperature if you were to do a lot of freeway driving?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: temperature is low when driving on long roads and normal at city driving why???

Well it's good when the engine temp is low, you wanna avoid higher temps!

More cooler air on long roads keeps the engine cooler.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: temperature is low when driving on long roads and normal at city driving why???

Originally Posted by JasonYo
Well it's good when the engine temp is low, you wanna avoid higher temps!

More cooler air on long roads keeps the engine cooler.
No. If the engine runs below normal operating temperature, it will run rich, which reduces gas mileage and also eventually causes engine problems.

I'd start by replacing the thermostat and bleeding the cooling system.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
No. If the engine runs below normal operating temperature, it will run rich, which reduces gas mileage and also eventually causes engine problems.

thanks i will definitely change out the thermostat this weekend before the driving on the cold part ruins my motor.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

agreed. t-stat is probably stuck slightly open not letting the car warm up.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you upgraded the radiator recently?? It could be taking in more air travelling at faster speeds which in turn will reduce the temperature.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AimeeCTR
Have you upgraded the radiator recently?? It could be taking in more air travelling at faster speeds which in turn will reduce the temperature.
no everything is bone stock. ima change the tstat this weekend and update u guys with the info
Old 08-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AimeeCTR
actually no. even with an upgraded radiator, the t-stat regulates the flow of coolant so that the car will stay within operating temp. if the car is cooling off too much the t-stat closes some to restrict coolant flow and keep the temp above 176*. the OP is experiencing temps below regular operating temp b/c the t-stat is stuck in an open position allowing unrestricted flow of coolant and essentially "underheating"
Old 08-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My dad's EG was doing this. Then one day, the radiator top tank blew. Totally weird. We replaced the radiator, and decided to put a new thermostat in there for good measure. All is fine now. Cooler temps are def not good. Running rich rich will wash your cylinder walls with excess fuel and contaminate your oil over time. Premature ring wear can be a result as well.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with this.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason why it may be different in town than on the road: If the thermostat is stuck open, it's always cooling the engine. On the highway, the wind may normally keep temps lower, so the thermostat would usually stay closed, thus with it being open, it runs too cold. In town, it may run warmer, especially since it's summer, and the thermostat would normally be open anyway, so it appears to be all good.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my t stat the O ring was leaking and when ever i gave it throttle the water pump would push it out and coolant would push by it and make my engine temps fall off as it leaked. could be ur problem.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks for all the info guys! yesterday i installed a new oem honda tstat and it solved this problem. car driving normal again now.