Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

temp guage goes to "h"

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp guage goes to "h"

i just pulled my core support and after that my temp. gauge on my cluster will go to half for like 5 minutes then goes past the "H" after that even with the heater on full blast. i checked the engine and it didn't seem hot i even checked the radiator fluid and its full. could it be the thermostat? or a senser of some kind. i need help and any would be appreciated
Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: temp guage goes to "h"

core support as in radiator core support? or the heater core? radiator core? full of coolant....could be a bad thermostat, temp sensor, fan switch, bleed the coolant system...did you investigate that stuff?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the radiator core support. and i have checked those yet. how would i check the thermostat? temp sensor or fan switch? i have a gsr in a 92 civic
Old 04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fan switch..run the car and stand next to it. watch the temp very close. the fans should kick on. the fan switch is good. if they dont come on by mid temp. the switch should just be replaced. also check the radiator fan relay if the fans dont come on. temp sensor i'm not sure, maybe a resistance test but i would just replace it. its a switch that is important and i believe in preventive maintenance. thermostat...while running the car waiting for the fans to kick on, check the radiator hoses. they should both be warm after it opens (the thermostat). you will hear the idle drop a little when the thermostat opens. and both radiator hoses should be hot to the same temperature. if not replace the thermostat. and bleed the system anytime you mess with the coolant system.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Close to the same thing happened to me. Does the temperature slowly go back down while driving?
Old 04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
fan switch..run the car and stand next to it. watch the temp very close. the fans should kick on. the fan switch is good. if they dont come on by mid temp. the switch should just be replaced. also check the radiator fan relay if the fans dont come on. temp sensor i'm not sure, maybe a resistance test but i would just replace it. its a switch that is important and i believe in preventive maintenance. thermostat...while running the car waiting for the fans to kick on, check the radiator hoses. they should both be warm after it opens (the thermostat). you will hear the idle drop a little when the thermostat opens. and both radiator hoses should be hot to the same temperature. if not replace the thermostat. and bleed the system anytime you mess with the coolant system.
where is the fan switch? also i checked the radiator fluid when i got home and it was REALLY low
Old 04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shade93
Close to the same thing happened to me. Does the temperature slowly go back down while driving?
yes it will go over the h then go down under it a little. what did you do to fix it?
Old 04-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we need to know what year and model your car is because the fan switch may be in different locations. some are in the radiator and some are in the thermostat housing. if your temp goes dows as you drive of even as you drive faster its because more air is passing through the radiator cooling the temp more efficiently. this is what the fans do---they pull air through the radiator while youre sitting idle.
the low coolant could be from a coolant leak or a blown head gasket.. the block tester will help determine if you have a blown head gasket (i.e. exhaust gasses in your coolant system).
Old 04-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definatly not a blown head gasket cause when i was refilling the fluid it didn't bubble up
Old 04-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you checked anywhere for coolant leaks? its going somewhere to escape the coolant system then. maybe the water pump is leaking???
Old 04-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What does one do if the car is within temperature according to the OBD-II scanner but the temp on the gauge cluster is off? (it's related to the OP's question)
Old 04-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive checked for leaks and the only one i can find is right under the radiator but it like drips once every five minutes. and theres no leaks in my water pump
Old 04-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also if i had to get a new radiator would i have to get a honda civic one or a gsr one? and i like my little one
Old 04-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b18Aaron
also if i had to get a new radiator would i have to get a honda civic one or a gsr one? and i like my little one
just replace it with the one you have then. what ever its out of then just get a replacement one for the car you took that one from
Old 04-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i dont know what car its out of cause i bought it with it in it..
Old 04-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah i drove it today and it stayed at half awhile and it barely went above after driving for about ten minutes
Old 04-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replace the radiator.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but if i do that do i get a civic radiator or a gsr one?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go to an autozone and ask to see the radiators. measure them up and use the one like you have. unless you can see an oem number on it..if you can post it up here
Old 04-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pressure test the radiator at least?? How do we know the OP's temperature sensor isn't just lying to him?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do i pressure test it then? and is there any way i can fix the leak? cause i had to refill it this morning (it wasn't REALLY low but it needed some) and i think just to be safe and because i already have one im going to replace the thermostat. and replace the fan switch cause i waited for it to idle and it doesn't turn on. Anyone know how to replace the switch or where its at? pictures would help
Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it stayed at or slightly above half today. but when i looked under my car where it had sat for three hours there was a small (4x4) puddle and i touched it and it was certaininly antifreeze. but it was anywhere near my radiator it was under the lower radiator hose
Old 04-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a lower radiator hose or the radiator is leaking. defiantely pressure test the radiator. i would pull itout and take it to a radiator shop for pressure testing. coolant pressure testing the system wont do any good since you got a leak. it might help find the leak but if its the radiator on the last straw then pressure testing might destroy the last straw of the radiator. i'll post a pic of the fan switch. hope you see it before it gets removed
Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

um i have a feeling its the head gasket cause i just researched a whole bunch and my car smokes white a little when i get on it, and it has a funny smell when i put my heaters on. also my overflow resivor is always empty..
Old 04-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pics of a 1995 civic coupe 1.5 liter non vtec 16 valve engine. you didnt specify your car so i chose one at random

Quick Reply: temp guage goes to "h"