Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Temp Gauge & Assessory

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Temp Gauge & Assessory

I have a big issue with my car that I been trying to fix for the last three weeks. The issue I have is that the temp gauge goes straight to hot after 3 minutes after starting my car. I let the car warm up even though the temp gauge went up, there is no sign of any overheating to the motor. No backfires, no white smoke out the exhaust, the radiator cap is still cool even though the temp is pegged at hot, the top of the motor is warm enough to touch and the radiator hoses are not hot at all, just warm. The radiator fan does not come on either. I did not have this problem until I tore my dash apart to find a short within my wires that was causing my car to cut off while driving and not turn over. Well I figured out that issue. The wires led up to the passenger side headlights. I have re-done the wires, wire to wire only replacing one wire at a time. I put everything back together and then the temp gauge start going straight to top and the fan does work. The only other wires I messed with were the wire to my a/c system underneath the dashboard. Other than that, I took out the dash wiring harness, the climate control harness and the left external harness and put everything back together the way it was. I have done tore my car apart, ran a continuity test on most of the wires and they checked out (not all the wires) on the second attempt. Once I was not able to find anything, I put everything back together. Now my clock and head unit is not cutting on. I replace the temp sending unit, the coolant temperature sensor/fan switch, flushed and drain the coolant system three times. Still the temp gauge goes straight to hot. I ran a couple tests:

I ran a positive and negative jumper wire straight to the fan, it turned on.

I bypassed (connected/crossed the two pin entrees on the pig tell with a jumper wire) the coolant temperature sensor/fan switch with a jumper wire, the fan turned on.

I unplugged the temperature gauge-sending unit while the gauge was pegged to hot, the gauge drop back to cold.
I cannot find nothing, so if anyone has any ideas, please please please let me know. Another issue (I don't know if it was a problem or not) is when I have my car together before all this, when to hit the blink either right or left, the check engine light dims with each blink. I check engine light is throwing one code, which is either one or ten. I long flash, the four-second wait, then repeats. I really need to get the figured out so if anyone has any ideas, please please please let me know.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Temp Gauge & Assessory

Sorry the second time I put the car back together, the temp gauge went straight to hot and the fan DIDNOT work.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After starting car, about a minute, the gauge reads hot.

Test I have done:

Radiator Fan:
• Power and ground to the battery: Fan Works
• Tested ohms on ground at the radiator plug, ohms read 00.00

Temperature Gauge Sending Unit:
• Unplugged the Temperature Sending Unit and grounded it to the motor with ignition on, the temp gauge went to Hot.
• Grounded the sending unit wire at the cluster with ignition on, the temp gauge went to Hot.
• Tested the continuity from gauge cluster to the plug of the sending unit: Has Continuity
• Temperature Sending unit was replaced.

Coolant Temperature Sensor:
• Connected a jumper wire from one pin to the next at the Coolant Temperature Sensor: Fan Comes On
• Coolant Sensor was replaced.
Other test:
• No Leaks in the hoses
• Radiator flush
Any Ideas what else to do?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:06 PM

Have you tried swapping the cluster with a known good one? Unlikely a problem but might be a solution. Sounds like you have tried everything else.