Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today

My Honda Civic sedan
Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986
I'd love to find an agp vx, sucks that it was painted over but least it wasn't spray paint. Try contacting plastidip and see if they can recommend a way to remove it. Stock engine and ecu? Post pics!
Stock engine, no muffler, had cheap knock off side mirrors that one got busted off, no visors, they took them off to put in one of those 5 segment full width mirrors. After market sun roof that leaks and is taped up for now, coil overs without camber kit and some sort of afr digital guage that works for about 10 seconds and then just flashes 10. Allegedly not wired right. Had an aftermarket alarm but fob was lossed so I suspect they just unplugged the brain. Had a super cheap **** plastic upright rear spoiler but he gave me the stock one which I already put back and started pealing the dip off of. Rear bumper cover was replaced with a red one by the looks of the color rub through on the corner. Oh, and driver side full amber corner while passenger is stock two tone corner lens.

Old 03-31-2019, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

Oof, a little rougher than I thought but at least it's pretty straight. Roof cap seems like the hardest repair on it. Mines on HX too at the moment. Good luck with the restoration, hope the paint underneath is salvageable.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:45 PM
Hysterically Calm

Interior is really clean. Has del sol seats in it and the paint appears to be in good shape.
The rear wells do have some bubbling so will need the normal rust repair at some point.
And I just noticed the driver side rear coil over strut is busted, the shock shaft is sticking up about 6 inches into the trunk area
The engine is in good shape and I'll find out about the tranny. I am curious to know if it needs an ISB.
I can throw my DX tranny in for the duration and I shouldn't lose too much mpg.

It's little things here and there but nothing overly bad and overall even still the car looks to be in far better shape than any of the other VX's I've seen except one but it was more than double what I paid.

On a side note, I can't find the information again, anyone know what year civic had cruise control with no air bags?
I need to isolate the part number for that specific clock spring and I know it's a pretty rare option, I've lost my notes on it.

Last edited by TomCat39; 03-31-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:23 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I think you can always add CC.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:09 PM
Hysterically Calm

I believe I figured it out. On non SRS steering it's a slip ring and The 4 door LX Sedan in Canada looks to have had cruise control but no air bags so has the slip ring I think I'm looking for.

Somewhere in my parts purchases, I bought a 4 spoke non srs cruise control steering wheel to put into my old CX that also did not have air bags. I also have the cruise control brain and the unit under the hood.
All that us left besides the slip ring is the CC 3 pedal set.

Started ripping the plastidip off. Some spots of bad paint but nothing I'm concerned about. At some point, they rolled the inner metal lip of the rear fenders up probably to super slam the car.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fixed my valves on my mini me, tuned it, oil change, coolant flush, and a couple visuals... I've been a busy tuner lol

Painted the letters blue (I painted the upper timing belt cover after this picture too)

Painted the wheels black, much better than rusty steel until i can afford nicer ones
Old 03-31-2019, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Went to a car show Saturday...

Spotted a trike a guy built. Looking it over, I spotted a familiar looking radiator. I told him we could be buds since he had a Honda radiator. He asked if I was sure it was from a Honda, and I confirmed. Then he asked what year, I said 1992-2000. He said he had no clue what it was! He pulled it from a junkyard and put it in his project and had forgotten what he pulled it from. I told him he might wanna write that down. Showed him some pics to confirm to him which radiator it was. Happy times!

EG/EK radiator on a custom V8 trike
Old 04-01-2019, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

More like yesterday.
I replaced a broken wheel stud on my GSR swapped 00 Ex coupe.
Replaced all the ball joint grease caps with polyurethane ones, and replaced the sway bar bushings.
Replaced my old beat up OEM axles with a set of 500 hp rated axles from insane shafts.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:59 AM
Fish Twig

mm...
Old 04-01-2019, 01:48 PM
Fish Twig

FML, ac condenser fan went out over the weekend and I didn't catch it until today. A new motor is coming from Amazon.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
FML, ac condenser fan went out over the weekend and I didn't catch it until today. A new motor is coming from Amazon.
How much was the motor?
Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 AM
Fish Twig

Honda wanted 240, I said screw it and got the tyc one for 50 bucks. Push comes to shove I'll have the dough for the 240 one later.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Hysterically Calm

Doing more research on the cruise control slip ring for my CDM 92 Hatch.
Come to find out the USDM 91 Civic LX appears to be the same 4 post non SRS cruise control steering wheel I have.
However, the hondapartsnow.com doesn't even list the slip ring so I have no part number to cross reference...…

Looks like I'm on the hunt for a 4 door 88-91 LX with cruise control at the salvage yards.
^^ This may not work out well either.
Found deschlongs write up where he added cruise control in the 5th gen and he noted the 4 prong cruise, no SRS is a rare bird. 92 3D Si and the 4 door EX/EX-V as the only possible candidates.
If I could get the part number it might be possible to find it over seas maybe.....

Last edited by TomCat39; 04-02-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Fish Twig

Old 04-02-2019, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Wrapped my stock y8 manifold after I ported the flanges on the upper and lower pieces. Exhaust shield went back over it after the pics

Old 04-02-2019, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hit 250k tonight. Goodbye y8.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986
Hit 250k tonight. Goodbye y8.

Mine has 290k. Just saying
Old 04-03-2019, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the rings weren't done I'd keep it in the chassis. Since that isn't the case, it's time to upgrade so this thing can get out of it's own way and be comfortable.

Last edited by Chrisfrom1986; 04-03-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I believe I figured it out. On non SRS steering it's a slip ring and The 4 door LX Sedan in Canada looks to have had cruise control but no air bags so has the slip ring I think I'm looking for.

Somewhere in my parts purchases, I bought a 4 spoke non srs cruise control steering wheel to put into my old CX that also did not have air bags. I also have the cruise control brain and the unit under the hood.
All that us left besides the slip ring is the CC 3 pedal set.

Started ripping the plastidip off. Some spots of bad paint but nothing I'm concerned about. At some point, they rolled the inner metal lip of the rear fenders up probably to super slam the car.
I think the cruise control brain is under the dash behind the fusebox. If you have the unit under the hood (the one that is connected to the throttlebody) than most of the wiring is probably behind the dash. Probably just need the button and cc brain.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I finally found an OEM drivers floor mat for my 99 sedan, too bad it's for a 96-98 .
Old 04-04-2019, 03:36 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Doing more research on the cruise control slip ring for my CDM 92 Hatch.
Come to find out the USDM 91 Civic LX appears to be the same 4 post non SRS cruise control steering wheel I have.
However, the hondapartsnow.com doesn't even list the slip ring so I have no part number to cross reference...…

Looks like I'm on the hunt for a 4 door 88-91 LX with cruise control at the salvage yards.
^^ This may not work out well either.
Found deschlongs write up where he added cruise control in the 5th gen and he noted the 4 prong cruise, no SRS is a rare bird. 92 3D Si and the 4 door EX/EX-V as the only possible candidates.
If I could get the part number it might be possible to find it over seas maybe.....
I've done a lot of nerdly research over the years and it took a trip to New Zealand for me to figure out that SRS was implemented differently in different markets for the 92-95 Civic. Specifically, Japan and Europe (NZ has both such market-spec cars in spades) have a version of SRS that is entirely contained to within the steering wheel, aside from the light on the gauge cluster. There is no external computer/sensor module mounted in the centre lower dash area. All sensors are located internally inside the steering wheel. (JDM and EDM cars would progress to the lower dash mount module-type SRS starting in about 1994.)

This implementation is simpler, and it also means there are wires that run to the steering wheel which need to use a slip ring: Horn wire, a wire for the SRS bag, and one for the cluster light.

See where I'm headed with this?

Turns out too, that instead of just using a slip ring with two contacts for these two functions, Honda ADDED TWO CONTACTS to a non-SRS slip ring and used only the two they added, plus the horn.

So, instead of this (which is the Canada-only slip ring):

The JDM/EDM slip ring for cars with SRS looks like this:

What this means is if you're looking for a slip ring to add cruise to a Canadian Civic, and can't find one of those elusive Canadian-only spec Cruise slip rings, head to overseas ebay.de or ebay.co.uk and check there. Currently FS for 40€: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Wickelfeder-...QAAOSw4DJYkaSj Bit steep for me but good if you're in a pinch!

However, what you might find is that it is wayyyyy easier and cheaper to repurpose a standard North American SRS steering wheel and clock spring with cruise control and put in the "SRS delete plate" instead of the airbag. The end result will be the same.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Hysterically Calm

Hey thanks deschlong!!

Curious to know, was the 4th gen (88-91) cruise control slip ring the same as the elusive 92 3D Si and the 92-94 4D Ex slip ring? I noted that the Ex-V is an SRS clock spring.

I also wasn't sure if I could cheat with a 92-95 SRS clock spring as I wasn't sure if the connector to the 3 pin grey plug on the non SRS steering wheel was the same.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today (we sold the Suzuki last night) I went to drive my wife's 93 CDM 3D DX to work and the engine light came on just before I was to hit the highway. Didn't take it for a spin after switching the ECU to the correct DX model. Got the 43 code, fuel system error. Started doing the troubleshooting and totally missed the step of jumper wiring A6 to A26. So ended up checking continuity (resistance) between the Green/White of the O2 harness plug and D22 and between White wire of the O2 harness plug and D14. Continuity was fine. Then realized my mistake and started over with waiting the 2 minutes and jumping A6 and A26, everything passed down to "replace" O2 sensor.

Turns out I just needed to adjust the spring portion of the female side of the plugs by depinning it from the grey plug and pressing up the spring part of the female spade connector.

Put everything back together, drove her around for 15-20 minutes including a short freeway jaunt after fully warm and no CEL. Job well done and my first real electrical trouble shoot on the car. Gotta love the thoroughness of the FSM and ETM.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:35 AM
Fish Twig

Old 04-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey there all, finally I got back into the honda game. Had an 01 Teg a couple years ago and built the LS engine for a small N/A track car but there are a good amount of rust on it when I bought it and it just kept going and made repairs/upgrades so much harder to do. Finally let that go and started looking around for my favorite category: EM1. Found an older guy who took one on trade and was looking to get rid of it for cheap. Car is in really good shape, no rust that I can find, engine has a couple small mods (intake, header) and the interior is immaculate. Picked it up last Sunday, and started ordering small parts here and there. Finally got a chance to really look it over today in the sun and started ripping out excess wiring from a previous stereo install, as well as some PIAA foglights he mounted behind the grille which came out (along with the dash switch and wiring). As well today, my full energy suspension bushing/mount kit showed up, new muffler and full engine gasket kit. Looks like the back of the valve cover has a good sweat going on. Tomorrow Ill get the rest of the wiring out, vacuum the carpets and start on the bushing and top end gasket replacement. Then do an oil change, gas it up, check wheel pressure and finally take it out on the highway and open her up (didnt get it over 60km/h bringing her home the other day). Cant wait to really get into this over the summer. I have a friend here who has a set of ITR cams I am going to grab this weekend, as well as a new suspension setup but thats for later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today