Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today

Originally Posted by 94 Civic Si
Where did you get that? Wondering if it would work for my EH3/B18C1?
I bought the intake tube on eBay and the air box locally on Craigslist. Spent around $100 total.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Northernlightz
Your valve cover would look better without that sticker on it

Clean bay though.
I agree. I did notice it looked cheesy after I saw my post. It's since been removed.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Laid the wiring for a 500w amp, need to build a nice box now. Nothing crazy just trying to add a little low end noise.

Old 11-11-2016, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I fixed the stupid oil leak
It wasnt the pain in the butt oil pan gasket
it wasnt the vtec solenoid that is held on by bolts made of glass so I bought new ones incase they broke
It was the 5dollar O ring on the distributor. took all of 10 minutes
GEEZE glad its fixed though, now just to clean the oil off the asphalt, I am sure the landlord loves the mess
Old 11-11-2016, 05:53 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

was working on my cousins 00 hatchback, pulled engine, swap subframe.
Next is brake booster and brake mc , adding cmc and pedal, pull auto shifter .
Old 11-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Where did you get that? Wondering if it would work for my EH3/B18C1?
It might be tricky using that with a B18C1 because the throttle body is a few inches lower than a regular manifold B series.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 189 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanM.
It might be tricky using that with a B18C1 because the throttle body is a few inches lower than a regular manifold B series.
I was afraid of that...

Thanks
Old 11-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was afraid of that...

Thanks

Well just get a tube for a B18C1. Pretty sure you can use a few different air boxes if you get the right tube. Look in this pic:

Name:  84b345e985384a0da6ce69ce90171efd.gif
Views: 623
Size:  24.0 KB

The B18B1 and the B18C1 share the same filter box but use different tubes.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by BryanM.
Well just get a tube for a B18C1. Pretty sure you can use a few different air boxes if you get the right tube. Look in this pic:

Attachment 425590

The B18B1 and the B18C1 share the same filter box but use different tubes.
Right on! Thanks for your help, I appreciate it! I dug through a couple of parts websites and they say the air flow tube is NLA :-( AIR CLEANER for 1996 Acura INTEGRA HATCHBACK
Old 11-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well. Started working on my old gsr swapped eg again after its been sitting for over a year. Long story, I gave it to my brother. He just left it sitting, guess he doesn't like manual car. Took it back. Start working on it last weekend. Begin with getting the brakes to work better.. 40/40 prop valve, already had rear disc conversion done many years ago. New front pads, rear rotors resurfaced, new pads. Rear piston had rust build up, causing it to stick. So I had to remove the piston and clean it with wire wheel. Relude and installed.. Smoother now. Bought new 15/16 MC from a 91 civic. Pedal is a lot better, no more sinking to the floor.. Still need to bleed some more.. Hoping for firmer pedal feel.

Now on to the hardest/longest task. First time ever, clutch+flywheel install. Talk about scary, I have NEVER attempt something like this before, by myself at that.. After many week of research, YouTube vids watching, helm studying I worked up the courage to do it.. Took my time and follow the steps to a T.. Removing was easy..putting it back by yourself, well, that suck *** bad..was afraid the spline would not line up correctly, was very concern that something would go wrong and had to drop the tranny AGAIN.. Lucky I didn't have to..

​​​​​​also did the rear main seal while I was at it. Found out it was leaking after flywheel removed. Had to replaced the flywheel because no one in town offer resurfacing service.. So went with Luk flywheel with Exedy OEM replacement clutch kit. Kit came with new throwout bearing and pilot bearing.

The old clutch is unknown, no marking on pressure plate. But it gotta be a stage 2 or 3. Pedal pressure was very high and hard to drive comfortably in stop and go traffic, but it grab like no other. I bought the motor with it.. Therefore I left it. Until now.

That its for now.. Next Spring I will tackle new ball joints and outter tie rod.. For now the car is so much better to drive and the clutch break-ins period begins.. 500miles to go..
Old 11-19-2016, 09:18 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Today got the wifes wheels and tires all sorted.

She ran over 2 screws on Thursday so I pulled all 4 wheels off, grabbed the 4 snow tires on non honda rims and grabbed the 4 alloys Friday morning and dropped them off at my local tire company.

Picked them all up today with the all seasons moved from the steelies (and the tire double patched from the 2 screws) and put onto the alloys. And the snow tires pulled from the bunk steelies and mounted on the honda steelies. All 8 wheels balanced.

One steelie was low so I put it to 35 PSI went to the store, grabbed a couple of things to come back to 27 PSI. Went back to the shop and we fixed the bent part of the rim, sanded the bead and got the tire to seal perfectly. The tire company took the non honda steelies for me so now both cars are set with snows on steelies and summers on alloys and I don't have to take the bunk steelies to the recyclers.

All this for only 140 bucks CAD to boot. Everyone else was quoting over 200 without me even mentioning the tire repair bit. \m/ ò.ó \m/
Old 11-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Front bumper matched pretty well.

I had to try a couple different coats for the rear bumper though. It started off way too bright but seems to have toned down after a few extra coats of a darker shade of red

Old 11-25-2016, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

new radiator
Old 11-26-2016, 07:22 AM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

My daily struggled to start the other day. Did a compression test and my ~194,000 mile old girl pulled a 195, 185, 180, 190. So proud of her.

However, all of my plugs needed to be re-gapped. One of them was way wider than the 0.040in gap. So, we fixed that.

It must have been a combination of bad gas and bad plug gaps because it runs fine, now. If anything, I think I need to replace the fuel filter.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got my hondata in the mail this week and plugged it in. runs so much smoother now but as we all know we should NOT rely on this baseman and still take it to a tuner to get tuned. period!!! should be all tuned by the new year...
Old 11-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Hysterically Calm

Picked up my vtec seals/filters for 50 bucks CAD today. Quite the difference compared to dealer who wanted 75 before taxes. Stupid stealership.

Get to have fun stopping my vtec solenoid leak soon.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The drivers's side seat cushion on my Civic was crumbling to dust in places, and the cover was rubbing on bare metal along both the outer top and bottom of the seat. To prevent further damage, I replaced the upper and lower cushions on driver's seat with the ones from a seat I got from a salvage car ($40). I've looked at several driver side cushions and this set was in extremely good condition. Each half is something like $150 new from Honda.

The biggest surprise was how mangled my seat cover was on the underside. There are plastic runners underneath that are sewn into the upholstery material. In places the plastic runner was broken, and in others it had detached from the seat fabric. Patched it together with plastic repair. Not really ideal.

The hardest part about this job was getting the "hog rings" clamped. There's not a lot of room to bite down. This video was very helpful, although I found regular pliers to be a better tool for the final stage than hog ring pliers:

After it all, the seat looks and feels great.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

96 gsr eg
did a compression test. 210, 200, 200, 220.. Dry test. Didn't bother to do wet since it look good.
Drain and bled clutch master. Fluid was old and dirty.
greased clutch master piston.
Adjust clutch pedal free play.
Relube clutch pedal spring. Was making squeaky noise.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 12-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by 98civdx
I've used a 22,24, and a 32mm socket.

Rent a ball joint press, and use the cups that it includes. that's how I did it. You'll need random **** here and there to support the arms though.
Quick question, what you do to replace the bushing in the rear upper camber arm?
Old 12-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced tranny top motor mount
replaced both front torque mounts

Fix the no crank no start issue which came out of no where after mounts were replaced.
Turn key to start and heard 1 click from the starter. Then dead silent. Nothing happen.

Move the ground from chassis to tranny original spot to a different spot on the tranny and fixed it. Thought my starter was dead or battery went out. After full night recharge, it wasn't battery after all.

1 ground cable can cause some headache.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last night I was productive.
Front axles in
Front suspension back together
Front brakes done
trying to finish my b20 swap (into 97 civic). Does anyone know if I can use my D-series radiator? I believe the hose diameters are different but not 100%. Wasn't sure if there was a hose out there with a magical part number that would work, or if my d series hoses still work.
Long list of stuff still to do
Finish wiring, install shift linkage, install slave cylinder and bleed system, add fluids (all of them) and then of course coolant hoses/radiator
Old 12-02-2016, 06:44 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by dsol
Last night I was productive.
Front axles in
Front suspension back together
Front brakes done
trying to finish my b20 swap (into 97 civic). Does anyone know if I can use my D-series radiator? I believe the hose diameters are different but not 100%. Wasn't sure if there was a hose out there with a magical part number that would work, or if my d series hoses still work.
Long list of stuff still to do
Finish wiring, install shift linkage, install slave cylinder and bleed system, add fluids (all of them) and then of course coolant hoses/radiator
Performance Radiator sells their EG radiators with a rubber sleeve that adapts from D series hose size to B. I think I have seen those sleeves elsewhere, but cannot remember where...
Old 12-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Hysterically Calm

I swapped to my snow tires today. The winters were pretty low on air pressure so I drove down the block to my local gas station and pumped them up for free. 20 minutes well spent just before the weekend of forecasted snow, ice and freezing temps.

Cheers.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Fish Twig

Parked it outside in the cold and started working on a db7 inside the garage.
Old 12-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Quick question, what you do to replace the bushing in the rear upper camber arm?
A deep socket will fit right over the dog bone.

Quick Reply: Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today