Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 06:20 AM
GDD's Resident Derp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today

Aired up all tires to 44psi, though I do think I will need a new wheel on this one shown.

It looks dented.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:53 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...44? Seriously, stop working on your own car. You're 10 PSI over spec.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I picked up 4 snow tires on rims for 100 bucks tonight. 2 rims are honda rims, 2 are not. Tread is great on 2 tires and good on the other 2.

Also spent time measuring all my pistons tonight. Will do an average after a 3rd measure in a couple of weeks. I've got a space heater I run at 70° setting for 2.5 days before I measure and I check the fridge magnet thermometer I have on the engine block oil pan to verify the temp is right around 69° or so.

Here is my setup where I be measuring stuff:
Attachment 407650Attachment 407651
Attachment 407652Attachment 407654

And here is the damage I did to my left index finger and the weapon of destruction that did the damage:

Attachment 407655
Super glue is great for those kinds of cuts, they heal way faster, surface use only lol.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:04 AM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
...44? Seriously, stop working on your own car. You're 10 PSI over spec.
Hypermilers do it
Old 12-21-2015, 07:08 AM

I'm not going to sit here and tell you how many different ways you're being an idiot this time.

@TomCat39, super glue, man. Just enough to close the skinflap. Fun fact: That's what they use in hospitals when it's the kind of cut that should get stitches, but can't, like what you have there, or when my brother's ear lobe was bitten by a dog and ripped.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh no, any solid mount is going to transfer vibrations to the frame. I used to have those same front torque mounts, and it was absolutely horrible. Installed a polyurethane insert in my rear mount, removed those front mounts, and there was still some noise transfer, but it was a hell of a lot better than with the front mounts. Any solid/filled mount is going to transfer vibrations, it's just been my personal experience that the rear mount transfers much less than the front mounts, and with a good rear mount, you don't even need front mounts.
Well your name does say you're not into performance, so a smooth ride is more to your liking I would assume. It's good to have all the DIY people here to share insight. I personally would put up with a little vibration for solids mounts which could take the abuse. I think those front mounts are a gimmick, (like the aluminum rear control arms). Engine dampneners have worked for years.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:21 AM

That's not at all what my name says, and maybe you should check out my build thread if you think I'm not into performance But yes, you can have your cake and eat it too. Good, solid rear torque mount, no front torque mounts, and your engine will be held in place just fine, leaving room for intercooler piping (my preference) or...whatever else.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by W95civicEXcoupe
Aired up all tires to 44psi, though I do think I will need a new wheel on this one shown.

It looks dented.

Most you'd put in a Honda might be 35 psi depending on your rim diameter and tire size i.e. a rubber band tire. Steel rims can be bent back by most tireshops when changing tires just ask if they can bend it back. Or if you're confident enough you can just hit it with a heavy dead blow. If you have poor coordination I'd say nay because even with a dead blow you could bounch off the tire and hit your face if you miss the rim, man I love fails on YouTube lol.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's not at all what my name says, and maybe you should check out my build thread if you think I'm not into performance But yes, you can have your cake and eat it too. Good, solid rear torque mount, no front torque mounts, and your engine will be held in place just fine, leaving room for intercooler piping (my preference) or...whatever else.
Well I figured your name was a play on words with Racing my bad. For anyone who wants a solid rear mount and stock side mounts are just gonna trash the side mounts and have to replace them constantly unless you drive granny style. If you're going to apply torque to the engine be it hard accelerating or rapid down shifting you want solid mounts.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:43 AM

Nah, it's a throwback to when I posted a certain infographic and got instantly banned because it was deemed racist. That infographic has been reposted by others who weren't banned, so...well, neither here nor there. After a while, a mod saw the potential and slightly tweaked my name with different capital letters.

Since we're talking about upgraded mounts, it should go without saying that mounts should be replaced as a package. This is actually something else I cover in my build thread, with pictures, when I did the mount swap. Just like any system in a car, though, if you upgrade one part of it, that's going to put additional stress on another part. The stock pillowball mount they use on the driver side of 96-00 Civics, though...such a shitty design. So, so bad.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yesterday fixed the timing and replaced the 1st O2 sensor.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Admiral Beckett
I personally would put up with a little vibration for solids mounts which could take the abuse. I think those front mounts are a gimmick, (like the aluminum rear control arms). Engine dampneners have worked for years.
I think the stock ones aren't a gimmick, I suspect they are there to prevent the motor from excessive travel.

And I will tell you with just one single solid torque mount on the drivers side, the vibration isn't just a little, it's a lot.

Now here is the thing. On a track car, the car is gutted and everything is welded into place. Vibration is nothing to that kind of car. Everything in the car is severely secured and all the little extra plastic pieces have been removed etc.

On a 20 year old daily driver, you find out every loose piece of plastic and metal in the car. You can't imagine how many clips are mildly loose on a 20 year old car with all the trim and air dams etc. installed until you put in a couple of key solid mounts.

If you don't care about your car rattling profusely and not being able to listen to music without it cranked to near concert levels, then by all means, switch the two front torque mounts to solid PU mounts.

NARC's method is probably the best compromise if you aren't stripping your car down and welding everything down etc. It will stiffen up the rotational torque to provide better performance with the least impactful transfer of vibrations to all those lovely 20 year old plastic bits and pieces.

I also suspect a good routine would be to retorque every bolt in the car to spec every 2-3 months with the amount of vibration is transferred to the frame from those torque mounts being solid.

My drive to work today was so atrocious that I don't care if my glue job is fully cured through and through, it will finish curing on the car. It's going on tonight when I get home.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by Admiral Beckett
Most you'd put in a Honda might be 35 psi depending on your rim diameter and tire size i.e. a rubber band tire. Steel rims can be bent back by most tireshops when changing tires just ask if they can bend it back. Or if you're confident enough you can just hit it with a heavy dead blow. If you have poor coordination I'd say nay because even with a dead blow you could bounch off the tire and hit your face if you miss the rim, man I love fails on YouTube lol.
I actually base my PSI off of the max PSI rating of the tire. I don't run max but if the max PSI is higher on the tire, so is my base PSI I use.

The mfg recommendation for PSI is for the specific brand and tire they used on the car based on that tires max PSI.

As example, my wifes car has tires on acura 14 inch steel rims. Max PSI on those tires is much higher than most of the tires I have seen at a 51 PSI (Highest I usually see is 44). Now I suspect the OEM tires for our old 95 civics had a max PSI of 35 and the recommended inflation was 32 PSI.

With the 51 PSI I tend to run 42 up front and 40 at the rear. Going less than that and the tires are too low and not operating optimally.

With tires that are a max of 44 PSI I do 38 up front and 35 in the rear. This is what has worked out pretty well for me.

By design of the tire, you can't use the same pressure for each one as each one is different with different design and construction.

TomCat39, super glue, man. Just enough to close the skinflap. Fun fact: That's what they use in hospitals when it's the kind of cut that should get stitches, but can't, like what you have there, or when my brother's ear lobe was bitten by a dog and ripped.
Actually an even bigger fun fact: Super Glue was originally developed specifically for the medical industry to be a wound closure and later was marketed as a glue for home and industrial use.

It's okay, bandaids, tape and polysporin and it will heal up pretty good, assuming I stop smacking it like I did yesterday.

Last edited by TomCat39; 12-21-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:27 AM
Hysterically Calm

Swapped out the Torque mount for my hacked one. Works perfectly, absorbs the vibration and looks good and still limits how much travel the motor can do.

Also put on my 4 snow tires with rims I bought for 100 bucks.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah, it's a throwback to when I posted a certain infographic and got instantly banned because it was deemed racist. That infographic has been reposted by others who weren't banned, so...well, neither here nor there. After a while, a mod saw the potential and slightly tweaked my name with different capital letters.

Since we're talking about upgraded mounts, it should go without saying that mounts should be replaced as a package. This is actually something else I cover in my build thread, with pictures, when I did the mount swap. Just like any system in a car, though, if you upgrade one part of it, that's going to put additional stress on another part. The stock pillowball mount they use on the driver side of 96-00 Civics, though...such a shitty design. So, so bad.
Man do I agree with you so much about that damn pillow mount design, I remember hearing its filled with honey but I was pretty damn sure that was old golf *****. I didn't care enough about those mounts to even try to look it up.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Swapped out the Torque mount for my hacked one. Works perfectly, absorbs the vibration and looks good and still limits how much travel the motor can do.

Also put on my 4 snow tires with rims I bought for 100 bucks.
Sweet I'm glad it worked out, when I said solid mounts I of course mean solid core mounts not steel mounts. The solid aluminum torque mounts seem like a gimmick because of how little play they have and of course they would transfer a lot more vibration. I haven't had any issues with after market motor mounts because I'm a little OCD when it comes to my cars. Everything is checked for tightness and wear. The psi on your vehicle is what you should be setting it to because its based on weight not the tire. 17.5" tires can handle 90 psi, but the vehicle calls for 65. Most low profile tires max psi are in the 50-60 range but depending on the weight of your vehicle you will most likely be setting it 35-40. You over pressure your tires on a light vehicle you compromise the grip rating. There was actually a class on this ****, I mean I fell a sleep for part of it but I had a booklet givien to me lol.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

31" cherry bomb fits nicely.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 98 lx i removed my progress cs2's and put on some oem socks with lowering springs, put my si's on and had it aligned in preparation for the Midwest winter... hoping it isn't too bad.

On my 94... gave it a jump, moved it from the garage to shop to make room for my 98 in the garage.

Hopefully ill be pulling the transmission out of my 94, going through it and seeing what i broke, so i can get it fixed before spring.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A softer rubber will require more pressure to hold the same amount of weight while a stiffer rubber supports more weight inherently.
Agree 100%
Old 12-23-2015, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After years of having parts stored in my garage, I found the motivation to swap my Y7 IM to a Y8 IM with an AEM Short Ram intake. Tomorrow I will be swapping my valve cover to one painted in wrinkle red.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:55 PM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 1995 GSR for my Civic VX. One owner, dealership maintained! She wouldn't have sold it to me if I'd have told her my plan. :evil grin:

Her idea of recent by mileage is a joke. Timing belt was 6/2013. That was the second time it was replaced in 20 years!! And I paid $3k cash.

eH.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks a little limp haha!
Old 12-24-2015, 05:31 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

hahaha, this guy....

I'm working on swapping in my integra type r exhaust system. Bought headers and cat converter, just waiting on parts.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:33 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by eHMxhACk
I bought a 1995 GSR for my Civic VX. One owner, dealership maintained! She wouldn't have sold it to me if I'd have told her my plan. :evil grin:

Her idea of recent by mileage is a joke. Timing belt was 6/2013. That was the second time it was replaced in 20 years!! And I paid $3k cash.

eH.

Damn she's beautiful, nice find dude. Take good care of her.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eHMxhACk

eH.
Lucky, over here w96's car would still go for $3000 hahaha! Got mine for $500 because the owner was so fed up with trying to fix the motor. It has new brakes (calipers too), shocks, windows still fully functional on the tracks. Motor had new pretty much anything they could do to it. I took it home and replaced the main relay runs great. No one wants to buy a d15 though.

Quick Reply: Tell Us What You Did To Your EG/EK/Del Sol Today