Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tell Us How You Got Into This Honda Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tell Us Your Story: How Did You Get Into This Honda Stuff?

Originally Posted by Projekt-8
After watching the opening of Fast and the Furious in 2001, I wanted a black honda civic with a turbo. 1 year later I managed to get one, not with a body kit and turbo though lol.
i had that same feeling so i got a 95 eg coupe black but i turboed mine with a carbon fiber front lip just no body kit
Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tell Us How You Got Into This Honda Stuff

I was a die hard American muscle fan (minus Mustangs because of reasons). My favorite cars were Camaros and Firebirds and I grew up in them. Still love Camaros!

But I grew up and basically got my head out of my *** and learned to respect other cars. I started liking more and more.

I still didn't get much into Hondas though. I found a little car show in my area and they had a tuner area so I hung out there a bunch. I didn't really get into Hondas, though, until I bought my Del Sol from my neighbor. I eyed the car from the day he got it to the day I bought it(a good solid eight years), even though I wasn't a Honda /fan/. I talked to my neighbor and he knows his ****, so he taught me a little(he has a hard time being quiet, when you talk to him he'll go on forever). I learned more and more every day because I kept going over to see the car(I was trying to sell my Toyota Paseo so I could buy the Del Sol... best decision ever). I learned that a Honda engine makes way more sense than most others. He taught me how to change fuel injectors.

Anyway, I bought the Del Sol and after driving it I pretty much fell in love with the way it felt. I have no complaints. It's weird that they don't have power locks when they have power everything else but I figure it's because it's small enough that you can just reach over to unlock the other door. It's a great car and running strong at 209k.

Since I bought the car I look at other hondas more closely now. I actually had someone in a red Del Sol follow me into Sonic to ask if I'd sell mine, haha. Kinda weird though since they stayed there while I ordered and then ate my food and left when I did without ordering anything. o.O At the car show I mentioned before I made a friend who had a white Del Sol, so yeah, my car's bringing a lot of cool things and cool people into my life. I really like the shared passion among Honda enthusiasts.

But outside of all that I just really really love my car and everything about it and thinking about it gets me excited to make it more of my own. Del Sols are an insane amount of fun.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My brother had an em1 electron blue when I was still... 13 years old? He was also an extra in the first Fast and Furious movie. So naturally it became the coolest car in my mind. Got a chance to pick one up used with a clean title and stock. Hopefully it treats me well!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When I was 22 my friend Mike had a red CX hatch with a built JDM GS-R in it. In its final form it made 220 whp on the dyno at Church's. One day he asked me to drive him to work in it and take it back to the house after I dropped him off. As I was getting on the freeway onramp I put the gas all the way down and just could not believe the acceleration once VTEC engaged. I only engaged VTEC one more time when I got off the freeway and onto the streets again but I was sold on Hondas.

Previous to that experience, my friend Chris had an EF with a JDM B16 in it, which was a great car, and Mike had a white EG with a built B16 in it which was also a hoot to drive. After high school, I bought my mom's Camry because it was reliable. Fast forward 7 years and I just bought a 2000 EBP EM1 with a JDM GS-R in it. with only intake components, an ITR muffler, and the stock Si gearbox, the car is fast enough for my tastes and still returns between 30 and 34 mpg consistently.

That's another thing that drew me to Hondas. Like other posts mentioned, Hondas are great because a stock or slightly modified B-series has excellent street manners, but when called upon, will go like the dickens.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey my names Mike, 21 years old.
When I was 14 my brother had a 2001 prelude and I just fell in love with how simple and clean the car was. After that I started to like hondas more and more. When i turned 18, saved up enough money to by my dream car, which was a 96 midori green hatch. Restoring it and fixed it up. Ever since then Ive owned 3 more hondas lol now Im wokring on a 95 hatch.. and im sure more will come hah.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Tell Us How You Got Into This Honda Stuff

Hi, I'm Jim and live in Norway.
My in laws owned Hondas from the mid 80's, Acccords and Civics, and never seemed to have any problems with the cars. They were fun to drive also. This stuck in the back of my mind.
Bought my first Honda 5 years ago, a 98 CRV 5MT, Passion Orange metallic and had a blast driving it. About 2 years ago, changed out the front suspension ++. A month afterwards, saw a 97 CRV for sale, AT,air,sunroof,++, the same Passion Orange color, so I bought that one also. Planning to sell the first one, but never got that far. This summer I was looking for a Del Sol, and almost was able to buy a 98 'Motegi', but was 1 hour late in calling the seller. Have pictures if anyone is interested. Didn't give up though, and 6 weeks ago, bought a 95 Del Sol ESi, Blue-green Paradise. Maybe next year I'll get a Prelude. Looking for a stock 95-96 Prelude, I like the lines of the car and the big triangle tail lights. Hope to retire in a few years with a Honda S2000 Spa Yellow!!
Old 10-02-2013, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I started back in 1999 when having a "hybrid" meant your car had a motor swap. B's and H's in civics were still rare, at least on the east coast. At the drag strip cars were ducktaping the gaps between fenders and hood and taking out their headlight to get the ram air effect. 13's and 12's were respectable in the 1/4. It was all brand new stuff to me and I thought it was awesome. I started racing at the track a year later with my 91 hatch, then later a 88 HF. I won some money at NIRA, IDRA, BOTI, and other events, not much, but enough to pay for my addiction. I blew out tranny's and snapped my share of axles. I went all motor, then nitrous, then turbo, and finally back to all motor. I took a break for several years and have gotten back into hondas with a daily driven EG.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always been a fan of Hondas. I'm not one of those people who choose sides on anything, like "**** FORD, BUY CHEVY". I like just about everything. Theres just something appealing about Hondas, the smaller size, smaller engine, great gas mileage, dependable, the ability to make them fast, plus I think they just look awesome. My friends are into the scene so it didn't make my decision hard at all. I'm sure i'll own a Honda until I die
Old 10-02-2013, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I could get all the chicks.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Broke *** friend had a neighbour about to scrap a Civic, convinced them to sell it to me than scrap it. Ended up keeping it since my other car (MK1b MR2) went from simple clutch replacement to 3 year all out project.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My dad's worked at the Anna, Ohio Engine Plant for 25 years so I've been around Honda for my entire life. He now splits time between the Anna plant and Marysville Plant.

My journey starts when I turned 16. My neighbor was selling a Milano Red 99 EM1. I had my eye on it and went to look at it. I told my dad about it and he immediatly shot it down because my mom couldnt drive a stick shift.

So I ended up with a 99 Pontiac Sunfire. Not exactly my idea of my dream car but I spent a lot of time getting it just right and between the ages of 16 and 20. The Sunfire starting showing some rust so I decided to part ways with it. This started my search for the perfect Integra.

That turned into me finding what I thought was a clean 00 EJ8 Civic. It was my first 5 speed and I fell in love. Sadly this car was plagued with oil consumption and weird compression issues. Around the same time I picked up a 95 auto RS Integra that had been abandoned at my store.

For my Civic and some cash I got my dad's 05 auto Accord 4door. Not really my idea of a fun car but I needed something to get to work. I kicked around doing some work to it but it never really did anything for me. So I bought an old Kawasaki.

Got sick of riding the bike in the city and sold it a month or so ago. Two days later my buddy picked up a 94 Civic EX. The guy he bought his car had another Civic for sale and I knew this was a sign.

Its a 94 EG8 5 speed. Blown motor and a lot of rust. But I'm in love. I've already picked up a 135K mile B16A2 drop out for it and I'll be doing rust repair over the winter.

So thats how I ended up and wont be leaving in this Honda thing.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Always liked the look and never been into the euro hype, my mom used to own 2 hondas and I too had them in my childhood. One day I stumbled upon honda tuning page on fb or import tuner and fell in love. I loved the fact that you could do what ever you wanted and that there were endless possibilities. When one of my rich daddys boy friends got an audi and started fronting like he knew about cars, but couldnt tell you what an intake manifold is, but only if a car is "more of a luxury car" and model names, quoted chief keef by saying "I pull up in that audi you pull up in that honda" while in my moms old CRV it drove me to want to create something clean as **** to show him that he dosent know **** about cars!!!!!

My love for hondas is mainly my love for their look and vibe, but others have certainly driven me to like them even more by saying stupid **** about them.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Trial User

I got my because of good gas mileage. Went 4000 miles on vacation and spent $350.00.
I have a 1991 Honda Civic Basic Hatchback 4 speed. Liked it so much I bought a 1991 Honda Civic CRX/DX 5 speed Hatchback.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Started back in 95/96. My buddy had one of his 1st EG/B series "hybrids" in town.
I was enamored with that car from the 1st ride. In 97 my other buddy sold his 5.0L stang for a NSX.
That was it, I had to have a Honda!
Got my 1st Honda/EG had big plans, but family/medical issues forced me to sell my beloved EG before I really started the transformation.
Got a DA, started to do mild upgrades, smashed it, sold everything I gathered for it with it.
Got into MB's, & pickups, but hated getting murdered @ the pumps.
Back into the honda game with my EJ1 project.
My love affair with hondaw has been rekindled.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Always loved all kinda cars, but I got into Hondas recently in September 2013 when I got my 99 civic sedan, did tons of research, and already have a plan for what id like to do. I love my civic
Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, I've always liked Toyota's. you can run them forever without a problem. But then I crashed mine... Totaled! A friend had an inexpensive old Honda, I figured that was the next best, and I couldn't find an inexpensive Toyota, so I got the Honda. It ran great, for a couple weeks, until I ran it through water, and it never recovered! (it's much lower than my Toyota was!) I got a different engine put in... the mechanic was supposed to put in the same, 95 engine, but all he could find was a 96. It never quite worked completely right... Since then he's been sick most of the time, and I've been dealing with attempting to fix & learn about mechanical things. Shops charge way too much $, and many local mechanics just aren't honest. I figured that out back when my Toyota transmission wasn't happy... they wanted to change it for $1000. I emptied the fluid and changed the gasket, filled her back up, and it ran perfectly!
I enjoy tinkering. I just wish I knew what I was doing! I'm constantly going to the auto parts store and trying to explain something that's wrong, they sell me something, then I tear into it and figure out that wasn't what was wrong, so I put it all back together, and go exchange the part... It would be fun if my second vehicle worked, cuz then I wouldn't be stranded once I tear it apart!
So far, between my Chevy & my Honda Civic, I've helped to change an engine, head, & timing belt. & by myself I've changed distributor cap, spark plugs & wires, multiple sensors, head gasket, radiator, heater core, belts, front brakes, idler pulley, ball joint, passenger window & cleaned wheel bearings.
Not bad for a gal!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:16 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to race 2nd generation civics, and work on first generation ones, back in the day, had a few 81's and a couple of 83 ran the hell out of them, I ended up with this Accord hatch over 20 years ago, put a ton of miles on it, still have it, but it's a major project at the moment
Old 01-26-2015, 04:58 PM
Trial User

i have a 2000 accord 2 door and i am gonna try to do a euro-r swap on the front end!! thats why im on here!!
Old 04-23-2016, 01:36 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by J-RAD
So I could get all the chicks.
Most "chicks" I knew during the last four decades thought Honda products were pretty "gay".
And guys with Honda motorcycles were REALLY "gay".
(so I bought my first H-D in 1966, a used "dresser", for about $500.)
A couple of relatives owned Hondas over the years, and since they were kinda "wussy" it reinforced my belief that Hondas were mostly for "girly-men".

That's one of the reasons I've stayed away from Honda all my life ... until a month ago when I was shopping for a cheap-but-good beater (yeah, aren't we all, at some point or other.) and around here the Honda Accords were selling for very low prices, compared to what they cost new.
I started looking at Accords ... and then realized the Acura TLs were about just as cheap as the Accords, but more-bang-for-the-buck.

So I switched my search to TLs, and fell in love with this one particular black TL with tan interior. It had a few little dings & scrapes on it, but that brought the price down. It had been smoked in, and I HATE that smell ! And the carpeting was pretty badly soiled at the driver's right foot ... but like new everywhere else.
In spite of these short-comings ... and the fact that the one-owner guy who'd owned it for 7 years was himself a real a**hole, I ended up buying the thing.

Probably I felt sorry for it, and just wanted to give it a good home. Five grand wasn't a bad price, either.
So now I'm trying to figure out how to get the smoke smell out of the car, and wondering if I should invest in a new set of tires. The original Michelins are about half-worn but I've been told that new tires would make it ride much nicer.

So since this is my first Honda, I've got a learning-curve ahead of me, if I want to do most of the repairs & TLC myself, like I've always done in the past.

I admit we're still getting to know each other, but I may have found a good match in this first-time affair with a Honda product.

(oh, and I still have my most recent H-D, a '97 Wide-Glide with the sh*t customized out of it: hardly any original Harley part remains any more.)

so that's me ... a newbie Honda guy.