Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tell me what i did so my car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tell me what i did so my car wont start

first, i have a 93 civic si, with the jdm sir-II lsd.
my heater core was cracked
told it would be close to 500 fixed,
said screw it, ill do it myself,
did it and it works great, took pictures and am going to do a how to
only porblem, i get in, powered up fine, but did absoulutly nothing when i turned the key to start, just restarted the radio, no noise, no nothing, checked my fuses and grounds,
dont know what it could be, i tore apart my whole dash but was pretty sure i got everthing plugged back in. please help
Old 09-15-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Re: tell me what i did so my car wont start (EG93si)

Did you try retightening your battery posts?
Old 09-15-2005, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you checked all fuses inside the cabin and under the hood?? is it cranking??
Old 09-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tell me what i did so my car wont start (hatchi)

i can pop the clutch and it runs fine, the battery terminals are tight, and it started perfect before this, it doesn't crank and i dont hear anything when i try to turn it over
Old 09-15-2005, 03:51 PM

Sounds like a battery problem. Try swapping it with a known good one and see whats up?
Old 09-15-2005, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Guam_CiviC619)

r u sure, i started fine before and i didn't even breath on the battery during the heater core swap
Old 09-15-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: (Guam_CiviC619)

possibly did the neutral saftey switch on the clutch pedal not get plugged in or out of adjustment? Have a friend turn the ignution to start and see if you are getting power to the starter with a test light or a volt meter.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM97EK)

that actually sounds like it might be it, how do you check/fix that?
Old 09-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EG93si)

Are you:

At over 12v at the battery?
Getting spark?
Getting fuel?

Start with the basics. I need to do a god damn troubleshooting car write up cuz poeple throw parts and hardy ever diagnois their problem
Old 09-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PhatAcuraIntegra)

why dont you quit diss'n on me since i said it runs if you pop the clutch (hence spark and gas), also i said it doesn't crank, i checked the basics, im buying a multi-meter tomorrow if i don't get it figured out, I would like to hear more about this neutral safety switch on the clutch?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does the fuel pump prime when you try to start? if no, check main relay

you have to provide more detailed description of the problem.... does it power up, etc... some trouble shooting info as well and the results
Old 09-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_driver)

just tried jumping it with my friends bonneville and no luck, i pretty sure its not the battery, is the main relay under the hood in that fuse box? cuz i think i checked all of those, the starter would make noises if it went out right?
Old 09-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The main relay is under the dash. The lower kick panel. Right? Now you've got me all confused. I swear thats it.

What do you mean, it starts when you pop the clutch? You mean push starting it?
Old 09-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1995Ex_Sedan)

Ok, here,
1. it will push start
2. it ran fine before
3. checked the ecu and starter fuse
4. tried jumping it
5. wont even crank

please help
Old 09-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check ignition switch and starter

you probably pulled something while you were messing with the heater core
Old 09-15-2005, 09:35 PM

check the wire going from the underhood fuse box to the starter. that might be loose or not connected
Old 09-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchi)

most likely internal engine damage. i'm in the process of swapping my motor out bc it did the same thing like yours.
i was getting spark, fuel but no crank turning.

no compression.

so basically i gotta rebuild this one and put a gsr swap.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jaesung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaesung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most likely internal engine damage. i'm in the process of swapping my motor out bc it did the same thing like yours.
i was getting spark, fuel but no crank turning.

no compression.

so basically i gotta rebuild this one and put a gsr swap.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

this guy is an idiot, how can you have internal engine damage for changing a heater core

you said it runs when you pop the clutch, i didnt know what the hell that ment, but later you said you pushed started it and it ran, Give better discriptions we can not read your mind. When you ask a question type it all out then read it again and ask your self if it sounds ok and that you are not taking anything for granted. It makes it easier for people to help you. And it sounds like to knocked the wire off the starter, It is in the same area as the heater hoses you had to unhook.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Re: (b18ccivics)

Man, nobody listens to your concern. If you can look at your starter. on the side there are two wire connections. The larger connection is the constant battery power, the smaller is the signal wire from the ignition switch that only has power when the key is turned to the start position. Check for battery voltage when you try to start the engine. The neutral saftey switch and the main relay seem to be the only things in th circuit that can inturrupt the signal to the starter. Look on the top of the clutch pedal and make sure the neutral switch is plugged in, make sure when you depress the clutch the button on the switch is being pushed down and sending the current to the starter. If you need you can call me and I can look at a wireing diagram at work (505) 730-0385. hope this helps
Old 09-16-2005, 07:09 AM

Default Re: (Jaesung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaesung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most likely internal engine damage. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats about as helpfull as saying - Have you checked the air in your tires lately ?

How about a ground connection missed ?
Old 09-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alotawatts)

i can here the main relay click when i turn it to acc. so i think its good, could a starter just go out?, i did spill some coolent on it but i didn't thank that would hurt it in anyway. also what where sould i use the multimeter and what voltages should i get?
Old 09-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked the neutral safety switch on your clutch yet? Sorry if I missed it and you have, but honestly, if the main relay isn't bad, turning the key powers everything up, and the starter is good, I say it's probably an open in the system. Logical place to look would be the switch. Have you checked to see if there's voltage at the switch up on your clutch pedal yet? If you don't have voltage going to it, you may have found your problem.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:48 PM

To see if you are getting power to the starter begin with finding a good ground (preferrably the negative side of the battery) Remove the starter signal wire from the starter( there should be only two wires, the battery constant power and the signal wire. using the multimeter, hold the black or negative probe to a ground then put the red or positive probe inside of the starter signal wire connector, making sure to fully contact the metal. have a friend hold the ignition key in the start position and read what voltage you are getting from the signal wire, you should get battery voltage. If you have power it is the starter, if not chech the nuetral switch. IF it an advanced multimeter you need to set it up to read DC Volts. If you do not have power, again take a look at the neutral saftey switch. let us know what you have checked so we can help you further.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:04 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: tell me what i did so my car wont start (JDM97EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM97EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To see if you are getting power to the starter begin with finding a good ground (preferrably the negative side of the battery) Remove the starter signal wire from the starter( there should be only two wires, the battery constant power and the signal wire. using the multimeter, hold the black or negative probe to a ground then put the red or positive probe inside of the starter signal wire connector, making sure to fully contact the metal. have a friend hold the ignition key in the start position and read what voltage you are getting from the signal wire, you should get battery voltage. If you have power it is the starter, if not chech the nuetral switch. IF it an advanced multimeter you need to set it up to read DC Volts. If you do not have power, again take a look at the neutral saftey switch. let us know what you have checked so we can help you further. </TD></TR></TABLE>Couldn't have said it better myself.. Just based on your posts, its the starter IMO.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tell me what i did so my car wont start (HondaFanatic708)

power from battery: 12.4v
power to starter: 12.4v
power from signal wire when turned to start: 0.0v
starter: ok

how do i use my multi meter to check the neutral safety swith. theres a plug just above the pedal and on alot higher. what do i set it two and what should i be looking for. can you test your main relay, (i think its good)?

Quick Reply: tell me what i did so my car wont start