Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tein SS with pillow mounts and EDFC

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein SS with pillow mounts and EDFC

Just in case you are too lazy to read my sig , I drive a '97 Civic.

I installed the suspension back in December when I replaced my clutch. I hooked up the EDFC (Electronic Damping Force Controller; for those of you who don't know, you can adjust the damper setting from inside the car).

The install manual says that the struts are set at the hardest setting from the factory. I feel, as well as one of the shops that I trust that just did some insurance work for me that they still feel that the struts feel like they are very soft. I almost think that they feel about as soft as stock.

Anyone else had this problem? The shop told me to manually adjust the struts (the EDFC won't let me go further) further in the hard direction, but the directions say not to stiffen them further. If this is as stiff as they get, them I am pretty disappointed, and am about ready to tell Tein about it.

Even though my car is pretty low (probably about 2 inches, which is about as stock as it gets with what I have done to it) I still feel that the suspension is too soft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the long post, but I like to get as much info in as possible.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tein SS with pillow mounts and EDFC (nighttrain33)

not sure if this will help or not. but i had tein ss for my 92-95 civic with integra spring rates and i felt like a popcorn in a popcorn machine.. too too stiff and i could not get it dialed in. (no pillows or edfc)

i went to the flex system with the edfc. and if you follow the edfc "gold" insert how to you should be able to get the edfc adjusted to where you want it.

on the edfc there are two different inserts "black" > non using edfc and "gold" if you are using the edfc system.

i did my own test on both inserts the gold gave me 21 clicks of adjustability by hand. and the black gave me the 16 clicks of adjustibility..

so check your inserts to see you have the gold inserts maybe this will give you more adjustment on the edfc which is what the "gold" inserts are suppose to do.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:42 PM

I did the install myself, and did put the gold inserts in. I still don't see how this would give me more adjustability. I just don't want to adjust them too far in the "hard" direction and damage them. I plan on selling my whole engine/trans/brake/suspension setup soon.

-Shane
Old 11-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did the install myself, and did put the gold inserts in. I still don't see how this would give me more adjustability. I just don't want to adjust them too far in the "hard" direction and damage them. I plan on selling my whole engine/trans/brake/suspension setup soon.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol yea i really dont know how the gold inserts give you more clickes either, but if you put them in and turn it to see how many clicks. and then put the black ones in you will see what i mean as far as clicks go.

i never bothered with my edfc and sold them after making sure the motors turned properly. the instructions are kinda vague aswell as far as settings go.
hopefully someone else will chime in.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow...i didn't even know the edfc worked with tein ss...
Old 11-13-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: (vancoland)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vancoland &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow...i didn't even know the edfc worked with tein ss...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only if you order the Tein SS with pillow mounts. Yeah, I didn't know this either until I ordered them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol yea i really dont know how the gold inserts give you more clickes either, but if you put them in and turn it to see how many clicks. and then put the black ones in you will see what i mean as far as clicks go.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will mess with them I guess and see what happens. I just hope I don't break them. Thanks for the help, not that I ever doubted you.

-Shane
Old 11-14-2005, 07:36 AM

I would contact tein if I was you and see what they say. who knows they might have a defective bunch