Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

TEIN Basic Damper any good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TEIN Basic Damper any good?

I was looking at my suspension set up to day and damn does it need to be changed! (along with that clutch)

This is what i had in mind of getting, the TEIN Basic Damper for $750.
yes its adjustable,
it looks good,

but have any of you ever used it? is this setup good, or does it just plain suck?
If it sucks, then what should i go for?
I'm not really good with suspension here so i just need help choosing my newsetup, i need something that will corner nicely, and for a bit of drifting(Friday Nights Baby!) Thanks i advance!!
Old 06-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

****** search man,
there was a big thread about this exact thing just a few days ago

how anoying
Old 06-15-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: (Tad)

really? i did do a search and i only kept on getting results like cutting springs and other ****. didn't find it.
I typed in a few things
TEIN Suspension;
Suspension setups
Drift Suspension Setups,

I use search before i post stuff.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Re: (TrickHonda77)

There is a special somewhere in the suspension sponsor place that has them for 650 I believe.

EDIT: I guess the 650 sale is over. Here is one for I think about 730

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=774409

I have the Basics. They are ok. Not a track only setup, of course, but you can get pretty hard on them. I would suggest getting the DC2 setup, for the higher spring rates.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TEIN Basic Damper any good? (TrickHonda77)

imo tein sucks ***, and the basic's are just horrible.

its a fuckn shame when some one creates a full coilover and the damnper can't even be adjusted. and the spring rates are fuckn sooo soft its not even funny now if your looking to spend alot of money on something that will act as a stock replacment then ya go ahead waste your money on the shitty tein's.

but if you looking for a cost effective sporty suspension setup id go with koni yellow's and ground control's, (be sure to tell them its for koni's). extremepowerouter's is selling the yellows for something like 475 shipped. you can get ground controls for 325 WITH ANY SPRING RATE YOU WANT. now thats 800 and some change for a dampining and height adjustable suspension that can handle up to 550lbs springs, and can be rebuilt, or shortened. versus the shitty *** teins.

and sense when the **** does it matter what suspension looks like its a functional part not some damn bling ****.

**** THE GREEN BLING.

give me function
Old 06-15-2004, 06:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrickHonda77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">, and for a bit of drifting(Friday Nights Baby!)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What?

Ok. I've had it with this ****. Here is the best drift setup for a front wheel drive car. Take your stock springs. Plasma cut them in half. Take the stock shocks. Throw them away. Put the stock springs back on the car. Drift away. What a waste.

And, slammed 93 hatch does have a point. I got my teins for way less than most. If I was going to spend what you are going to spend, I'd throw down the 50 bucks for just what he said. The basics are really just a heavy street system, nothing more.
Old 06-16-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Re: TEIN Basic Damper any good? (Goullish)

Thanks fo the help guys, i think I'll go with Slammed Hatch's idea, those Koni adjustable's seem nice, and all i have to do is turn a **** to adjust them.
I'm going with the Koni's.
Goullish has a good idea, i might just do that with my corolla, i don't think i'd like to drift with my civic anymore.
Thanks
Old 06-16-2004, 05:48 PM

go with omni power full coilovers best bang for u bucks

and real nice, im waiting on mine
Old 06-17-2004, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TEIN Basic Damper any good? (Quad-Damge)

4 problems with those

1. usees the same springs as the skunk2 coil overs and he wont release who makes them and there is only one reason, becuase they aren't made by a GOOD company. (or they are good springs but he just can't get the rights to resell them in which he is lying and cheating, but i don't think omniman would do that.

2. secondly you can't pick your spring rates. and im a firm beleiver that you can't just give one spring rate out for all cars, every driver, and car is different.

3. im still alil shady on the damper to beign with.

4. they are a front biased coil over, which help understeer out, and under steer sucks ***
Old 06-17-2004, 12:36 AM

Default Re: TEIN Basic Damper any good? (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4 problems with those

1. usees the same springs as the skunk2 coil overs and he wont release who makes them and there is only one reason, becuase they aren't made by a GOOD company. (or they are good springs but he just can't get the rights to resell them in which he is lying and cheating, but i don't think omniman would do that.

2. secondly you can't pick your spring rates. and im a firm beleiver that you can't just give one spring rate out for all cars, every driver, and car is different.

3. im still alil shady on the damper to beign with.

4. they are a front biased coil over, which help understeer out, and under steer sucks ***</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. the reason he uses skunk2 springs is because they supply them for him because he's done a lot of tuning for them, and they are great springs. why would you try to improve on a good thing when there is already something better out there?

2. you can buy different spring rates. there was a thread in the ITR forum about that.

3. nobody needs an adjustable damper. the only reason someone would need an adjustable damper is if they have high spring rates and want a softer ride for the commute. you'll notice that H&R and many other suspention tuners dont use adjustable dampers, even on their highest models. that is because they tune the damper specifically for the spring, with an adjustable damper, that balance is thrown off.

4. if you look at any coilover made for civics and integras, they are all front biased. tein, JIC, cusco, anything.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TEIN Basic Damper any good? (Mar_EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mar_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. the reason he uses skunk2 springs is because they supply them for him because he's done a lot of tuning for them, and they are great springs. why would you try to improve on a good thing when there is already something better out there?

2. you can buy different spring rates. there was a thread in the ITR forum about that.

3. nobody needs an adjustable damper. the only reason someone would need an adjustable damper is if they have high spring rates and want a softer ride for the commute. you'll notice that H&R and many other suspention tuners dont use adjustable dampers, even on their highest models. that is because they tune the damper specifically for the spring, with an adjustable damper, that balance is thrown off.

4. if you look at any coilover made for civics and integras, they are all front biased. tein, JIC, cusco, anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) think what you want, personally i feel the skunk2 springs are ****. My opinion don't know how much weight it holds but thats what i say, and i know alot of people will agree with me.

2.) didn't know that, it is good to know

3.) again thats your opion, personally if you think you don't need an adjustable damper then you don't, but me i do need one, some time the adjustment can make a world of differance.

also as far as i know any good company alows adjusting because there is no way you can set your dampining and rebound for all different condition's. its just impossible and as fair as im consender an non adjustable strut is only good for 1 setup thats it.

4.) exactly why i don't by coil overs like that if i was gona spend that kinda money id go with a custom setup like AD. for just under 2000 dollars you get WHATEVER you want. just because no one makes or sells a front biased setup doesn't mean ****. UNDERSTEER is the devil.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:58 PM

well, everyone has their preferences. i personally like front biased coilovers because its a much better balance than even weight or rear biased. if your front springs aren't stiff enough, you'll get too much body roll because of the front weight bias of the car. if you have the right spring weight, you wont get any understeer or body roll.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:22 PM
New User

Default Re: TEIN Basic Damper any good? (Mar_EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mar_EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, everyone has their preferences. i personally like front biased coilovers because its a much better balance than even weight or rear biased. if your front springs aren't stiff enough, you'll get too much body roll because of the front weight bias of the car. if you have the right spring weight, you wont get any understeer or body roll.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree on that. since there is more weight on the front its only logical to have stiffer springs in the front.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrickHonda98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really? i did do a search and i only kept on getting results like cutting springs and other ****. didn't find it.
I typed in a few things
TEIN Suspension;
Suspension setups
Drift Suspension Setups,

I use search before i post stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

drift suspension setting? hahaha. try omni coilover . heard they were good.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TEIN Basic Damper any good? (Mr. Choi)

to basics for street use... don't pay over $650 though.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:55 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1)

4.) exactly why i don't by coil overs like that if i was gona spend that kinda money id go with a custom setup like AD. for just under 2000 dollars you get WHATEVER you want. just because no one makes or sells a front biased setup doesn't mean ****. UNDERSTEER is the devil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you really believe that why do you drive a hatch?!

you cant REALLY get them to oversteer,
at least not poweron oversteer, which is the really good stuff..
giving it gas full throttle half way through a curve and actually increasing speed AND cutting into the turn even more at the same time.

but that was just for arguements sake,
I agree about the omni's, they're alittle sketchy,
but for the price you pay the ARE really good.
you have to remember they are double height adjustable,
a FULL coilover with topmounts and everything(aids in installation)
and the dampers can handle the supplied rates.
I should also note that 450f and 350r is NOT very front bias.
you have to remember we have way more weight up front than back.
if we had a 50/50 dist car then it would be front bias.
but with out fwd cars, 450f/350r is actually very neutral.

if you want more oversteer, dial it in with swaybars and tires.
you could also just swap the springs.. but I run the same rates on my hatch.. and 350 up front is NOT enough!!
Old 06-19-2004, 10:56 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

actually i just remembered..
the omnis are 550 front 350 rear...
that is alil front biased..

but what I'll leave what I said up top up,
maybe some1 can learn somethin.

also for the street, a tidbit of understeer never hurt anyone, quite the opposite actually.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TEIN Basic Damper any good? (Tad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you really believe that why do you drive a hatch?! </TD></TR></TABLE>

because i can get ride of or almost get rid of it.

im my spring rate is 380f/ 450R pretty balanced but the **** will still rotate, hopefully and if not well then im swaping the springs out for a 450F/550R

again as i said befor its all my opinion im just a weekend race, take it for what you will
Old 06-20-2004, 02:51 AM

Slammed- Can you explain why a rear bias would help in a little more detail? Not questioning your ways in a bad way, I've never seen anyone explain why it would help, or in what ways it is different.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TEIN Basic Damper any good? (Goullish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Goullish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Slammed- Can you explain why a rear bias would help in a little more detail? Not questioning your ways in a bad way, I've never seen anyone explain why it would help, or in what ways it is different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

here goes my feeble attempt.

front biasied- since FF cars naturally have understeer having a front biased just keeps the understeer going. and if you have ever experanced understeer under heavy conditions, your kinda fucked there is nothing you can do to fix it.

rear biasied- makes the car rotate alot better and it can eliminate, understeer, under pretty heavy rear biasied setups. and if the car rotates you can correct it easialy. so baisiclly having a car rotate is a hell of a alot better then having understeer, and the only real reason you promot rotating is to get rid of understeer.

with front biased you really can't get rid of understeer.

now im not saying you need soft **** up front but i feel you need to have higher rates in the back.

hope that helps you out alil. now this is just my interitation of it and what i get out of it.

there are alot of threads in the autoX-RR forum search for them, thats how i came up with my hypo
Old 06-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
your kinda fucked there is nothing you can do to fix it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
SOOOOOOOO TRUE!!! It will just dive to front left/rigt side and just slide straight and NOT into the turn a.k.a fucked!
-Jalal