Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tech trying bs... is grind normal after tranny rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tech trying bs... is grind normal after tranny rebuild?

pretty possitive it is BS from a tech guy... just had my tranny rebuilt, all new bearings, all new syncros... I grind going into 2nd gear each time, it did not do this with the old tranny, it shifted a little hard into second that is all... Also got a new clutch kit from ACT... that feels fine, all other gears are butter shifting very good... but going into second from 1st or 3rd grinds hard for a split second unless I am idle.

So yeah, he is trying to say that I need to drive it a bit for it to settle in... and it should go away... He also said the clutch being so hard was the reason, but it seems much easier to shift than before so I don't know what he is smoking, I don't think it is that much harder at all. Can someone confirm this BS for me? I feel like I am going to destroy these "new" syncros.. BTW this was a deal from a Honda Stealership.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: tech trying bs... is grind normal after tranny rebuild? (CooBlueDAB)

It shouldn't grind at all. Have him write that stuff on a piece of paper, sign it and then if it doesn't go away, come back and make his *** fix it.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tech trying bs... is grind normal after tranny rebuild? (EK k kay)

what lubrication are you using?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no no no....i have a rebuilt tranny and it's hella butter.

I second the action to have him sign something.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tech trying bs... is grind normal after tranny rebuild? (EK k kay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK k kay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It shouldn't grind at all. Have him write that stuff on a piece of paper, sign it and then if it doesn't go away, come back and make his *** fix it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I say forget having him sign something, have the stealership front you the money to have another stealership break open your tranny again and fix it.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:09 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: tech trying bs... is grind normal after tranny rebuild? (CooBlueDAB)

lol there's no "virgin period" (pun oh so intended ) of synchros, sleeves, gears.

they prob didn't replace the parts.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tech trying bs... is grind normal after tranny rebuild? (Bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I say forget having him sign something, have the stealership front you the money to have another stealership break open your tranny again and fix it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They prob wont do that but i would deff bring it back and have them repair it, cause i can imagine what they charged for that type of work.
Old 08-25-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Re: tech trying bs... is grind normal after tranny rebuild? (Desir Performance)

roger man... had it checked, and he actually wrote a note about it, blaming the clutch for most of it, which they did not adjust at all btw... still hella play in it before the peddle even moves anything... but anyways... IT is getting way worse, had I drove this thing out of the parking lot myself, I would have turned it right around.... its going back tomorrow, and it better be fixed without someone thinking I am a moron...
Old 08-28-2006, 04:12 PM

Ok well the problem was a part... in the syncro for second gear.. a bushing of a sort.. that is only on that syncro set... it was from a different version and thus was like a stuck bearing... hence the grinding.

Apperantly Honda redesigned it to be stronger for bad shifters.. but they have no other model number etc.. no way to tell which is which... and these shims have been mixed in the syncro packs.. so it looks like I am reusing that part of the syncro from my old stuff, but the rest is new... depending.. arg..

In either case, I thought this info would help people that have problems installing them in the future.