Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tech review: PSPEC tuning short shifter

Old 12-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech review: PSPEC tuning short shifter

This probably isn't relevant to most civic owners, since only a few of us are rowing with cable shifters, but hopefully this is helpful to you. I also didn't find any good PSPEC review threads either.

When I started out, I used the 90-93 accord unit to shift with. It felt crappy and vague, but I didn't really have a choice at the time. It did its job.

A little bit later, I bought a 92-96 prelude base plate and shifter, so I could try something different. It still didn't feel good, but the throws were a tad bit shorter, and not quite as vague.

So I decided to order a 90-93 accord shifter from Pete at PSPECtuning.com

So here's my short review:

The Product

-a fine piece in my opinion...made from stainless steel and black powdercoated steel
-definitely did what it claimed to do; Pete did his homework...shifts are much shorter, and more crisp; probably about 35% reduction IMO
-**** sits perfectly straight up, not at a slant like stock
-rather than 'pushing' 2,4, and R down towards the console, I'm 'pulling' them back towards me
-comes with extra grease and an allen wrench to install the roller bushing
-special bend in shifter to allow the **** to sit in the middle when it's in neutral
-**** sits about 1.5" lower than stock
-did I mention it looks really good?

Dislikes:
-I think it could be made a little bit heavier...I'll be adding some lead tape soon
-I would prefer the **** to sit just a little bit lower, but that's a personal preference

The Service

Now, I really would like to give Pete the benefit of my doubt, because he does seem like a nice guy, but I was not impressed AT ALL with his communication with me. His email response time just plain stinks, if he responds at all that is. I still haven't gotten a paypal receipt from him, and I never got a tracking # from him.
All he had to do was send me a one sentence email saying, "Hey...I'm really busy, I'll get the shifter out as soon as I can..."
I really just don't like being kept in the dark.

I sent him the payment on the Wednesday Nov. 23rd. I spoke with Pete through AIM on the 25th, and he said he would ship on Monday the 28th. His site says that he uses 2-Day Fedex Air.

I did not receive the shifter until yesterday evening (Dec. 8th).

Definitely lacking in the communication department, but product was excellent in my opinion.

Pics:

Old 12-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tech review: PSPEC tuning short shifter (preludepower)

And for the record, I also bought a shifter from Jeremy at Forbidden motorsports. I'll be trying it soon in the prelude base plate I have.

His communication is very good.