Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tech questions please(steering rack interchangeability), help needed......

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tech questions please(steering rack interchangeability, EG/DC), help needed......

I have recently totalled my 99GSR(as you can see from my sig below ) and I am getting ready to build an EG hatch hybrid(VX or CX) with the remnants of the GSR. In reading this post(https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=184202), I am thinking about swaping out the slower (manual)steering rack from the EG and putting in the quicker (power)steering rack from my GSR. I would then do this Realtime 'manual' steering modification to the GSR power steering rack. In doing this I hope to gain quicker steering(ratio of the GSR) but still have the feel of manual steering(although making the manual effort a bit 'easier' by doing the Realtime set-up). My question is then, will the GSR rack(and components) fit properly? Is it essentially just a bolt-in operation? Any opinions/comments would be appreciated, thanks.
_______

[Modified by ILUVTEC, 8:57 AM 12/12/2002]
Old 12-12-2002, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech questions please(steering rack interchangeability), help needed...... (ILUVTEC)

Anyone?............
Old 12-12-2002, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tech questions please(steering rack interchangeability), help needed...... (ILUVTEC)

It should bolt right in, but the steering wheel I believe will be a bit lower. Try and salvage the dash out of your GSR and put it in the hatch. That way you can do the swap perfectly and salvage the dash mount and steering rack out of the gsr. Make any sense?
Old 12-12-2002, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech questions please(steering rack interchangeability), help needed...... (SHFTAT8)

Thanks, thats sounds good, that is what I was hoping/planning to do, to use the dash as well, so I just wanted to be sure that the GSR rack assembly will bolt in perfectly and function fine, anyone else?
Old 12-12-2002, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it will fit
Old 12-12-2002, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech questions please(steering rack interchangeability), help needed...... (madtownhonda)

Thanks, I guess that's what I'll do then
Old 12-12-2002, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Tech questions please(steering rack interchangeability, EG/DC), help needed...... (ILUVTEC)

ILUVTEC-

What is this "Realtime set-up" you are talking about?
Old 12-12-2002, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Tech questions please(steering rack interchangeability, EG/DC), help needed...... (rob d)

I believe the 'Realtime" setup is swapping racks from cars with power steering into cars without power steering to take advantage of the closer ratios.

A little OT, but could i use any power rack from any 96-00 ek to swap with my 97 manual rack? Would this make the wheel harder to turn?