Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tech Question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech Question...

So my daily driver, '94 Honda Civic DX 1.5 16v, is going down hill. But I got it for next to nothing and it did me well for a while.

Now a few days ago it started leaking coolant out of the back of the block, driver's side. No idea what the problem was but it persisted. Last night I thought I topped it off enough to go for a 25 minute ride, well apparently I fucked up and didn't fill it (stop leak blocked the passage in radiator, it was cold and I didn't bother checking). So the car overheats, I stop driving it and slowly make short trips home. It started up everytime (4 times+) after each time I let it cool down. Shut it off at my house, threw the battery from it into my 89 Accord and took off.

Got back today, swapped the battery back into the Civic, replaced the thermostat, added fluid and tried to start.... nothing. I hear a clicking noise inside the car, and something turns on and hums until another click after I stop cranking. Never heard these noises before. The speedometer jumps around while cranking over and I have no clue why my car won't start.

So, Tonight...

I looked at it a little more. When I first put it in the ON position, not yet cranking, check engine light comes on and humming noise starts (fuel pump I assume). Check engine light goes out, loud click (main relay?) and the humming noise stops. Crank the motor over for a few, stop, check engine light comes back on as well as humming and once again after a few seconds it turns off along with a loud click.

There is still clicking while turning over and the speedometer still moves.

(Cut and copied. I'm posting for a friend of mine.)

Modified by TurboDSMJ at 7:07 PM 2/3/2007
Old 02-03-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Tech Question... (TurboDSMJ)

Someone help.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech Question... (Cboi)

so after you try cranking it and let go of the key the fuel pump primes again?

Old 02-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech Question... (turbociviccoupe)

First your water pump is junk. Replace that before you go overheating it more, and blow a headgasket. Do a timing belt if you like while your in there, though getting the crank bolt of is a pain in the ***, without an impact, or the proper tool.

If all you did was pull the battery and put it back in, i'd check to make sure everything is tight at the terminals first.