Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tech info on '98 HX VTEC cam info, noise when cold @ 3k RPM?

Old 12-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech info on '98 HX VTEC cam info, noise when cold @ 3k RPM?

My 80k 1.6 has a rattle on accel until things are warmed up. It starts right about almost exactly when the VTEC thing happens, around 3000 rpm on up.

Questions:

1] In searching the database, I'm leaning toward the valve train being the source of the noise- where's info on WTF happens with the variable part of VT?
Pointers to tech info, please... thanks.

2] With over 80k on the engine (bought used, previous maintenance is unknown but questionable ) should I suspect the t-belt tensioner? Or would that be: should I suspect oil passages or mechanical bits that make the VTEC do its V thing? (See question #1)

Thanks, you folks is my source of All Knowing Of Things Honda...

-QuickHX
Old 12-02-2004, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Tech info on '98 HX VTEC cam info, noise when cold @ 3k RPM? (QuickHX)

Might be a valve or a lifter. eather way its not a good thing
Old 12-02-2004, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tech info on '98 HX VTEC cam info, noise when cold @ 3k RPM? (Ben_si)

Honda valvetrains don't have 'lifters'. The first thing that I would do would be adjust the valve clearances - if a rocker arm is too loose, it will make a tapping noise that is very noticable. While you have the valve cover off, check everything to make sure there is no damage, or anything being loose.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech info on '98 HX VTEC cam info, noise when cold @ 3k RPM? (MrTodd)

It might just be a heat shield or something.. They can vibrate weird at very specific rpms under very specific loads for whatever reason. Right when you get into the vibration zone, vtec kicks in and changes the vibration pattern so it stops vibrating the heat shield. That's an optimistic view on it though. Can you have someone rev while you try to listen for exactly where it is?
Old 12-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tech info on '98 HX VTEC cam info, noise when cold @ 3k RPM? (jolt-tsp)

Thanks, but I forgot to mention (DoH!) that I did a valve adjust, this engine doesn't have hydraulic lifters (Ok, I ordered the factory manual today from Helm's) the heat shield(s) are ok.. this is a metallic noise.

I've been doing valve adjusts since OHC's were friggin invented (joke), and they are all within a gnat's *** of perfect... also, because it's SO noticable cold but not warm, I'm suspecting (again) something in the drive train that is Honda-specific (and therefore a bit of a mystery at this point).

Thanks for all the input... now, what aBOUT that original VTEC question?

-QuickHX