Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Teaching how to drive Manual

Old 09-03-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teaching how to drive Manual

I need a help from a good instructor here. I am driving 03 civic. manual and now i need to teach my family member how to drive this manual car. I tried to teach them but no luck. Can someone give an brief teaching lesson so then it will be easy to help someone on how to drive... Honestly speaking, i didnt even know how to drive manual but i just bough a brand new civic and from dealership to my house, i was driving perfect, But i knew the concept.. Please advise. Thank you
Old 09-03-2004, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should explain to them how to clutch machanism works...
being that i knew what the pedal did. it helped me learn really fast
Old 09-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gas goes in as clutch goes out.
repeat through all gears.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

this car is equiped with the hydrolic clutch. will there be any problem with this if its not used properly ? such as breaking the clutch or anything. the problem is he/she is stalling the car in the first gear.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have them watch you. If you drive a manual you should know what the problem is when it stalls in first. More gas. Makes me think, your the one that can't drive.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Teaching how to drive Manual (return_2020)

Here are two ways I learned:

1) Go out to an empty parking lot (I used one for a local college). With the shifter in 1st, very VERY slowly put in some gas, and hold it at a certain RPM like 1500rpm or so. Then let the clutch out until the car starts rolling. When the car's rolling, let the clutch out more but don't put in too much more gas. Repeat as necessary.

2) Go out to an empty parking lot. With the shifter in first, slowly let the clutch pedal out until the engine almost stalls. Then slowly put in some gas until the car starts rolling. And again, let the clutch out more and barely change the position of the gas pedal. Repeat as necessary.

Old 09-03-2004, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Teaching how to drive Manual (Daniel)

I grew up around sticks and watched. But didnt really pick up driving one until my dad told me this " YOU CONTROL THE CAR WITH THE CLUTCH" Meaning get a feel for the clutch, and when it engages, because thats how u control the car.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Teaching how to drive Manual (Daniel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here are two ways I learned:

1) Go out to an empty parking lot (I used one for a local college). With the shifter in 1st, very VERY slowly put in some gas, and hold it at a certain RPM like 1500rpm or so. Then let the clutch out until the car starts rolling. When the car's rolling, let the clutch out more but don't put in too much more gas. Repeat as necessary.

2) Go out to an empty parking lot. With the shifter in first, slowly let the clutch pedal out until the engine almost stalls. Then slowly put in some gas until the car starts rolling. And again, let the clutch out more and barely change the position of the gas pedal. Repeat as necessary.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

If youve got an area with a slight downgrade hill in it that will help them get started as well. Just make sure that somebody can get it back up the hill if they get down it.

Also, remember that using the E-brake can be a good learning tool on a hill. E-brake on, then you can use the clutch/gas until the car starts to pull, then you can release the e-brake without having to worry about jumping off of the brake and onto the gas.

EDIT: Like hayabusa said, just get the car to where the clutch actually starts to grab, and let it kill the car once or twice. Then show them how to modulate the gas to get it right.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Teaching how to drive Manual (Pworld)

what i do is i show them where the friction point is.
i tell them to slowly let go of the clutch till you feel the engine start to struggle and rpm starts to drop and hold it just when it starts to do that.
after they understand and feel the friction point. we add the use of the gas to make the car move faster.
most times they get it.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

one way to learn the clutch is to sit in a parking lot, and let the car sit without any gas applied...
slowly let off the clutch until you feel it grab.... if you control your foot well enough you will understand when the clutch "grabs" knowing this you can try to give the car gas and let off the clutch
Old 09-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

funny how i learned...
i had my car swapped from auto to manual and was throwing 2-3 codes from my cel and made driving it a nightmare
Old 09-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">funny how i learned...
i had my car swapped from auto to manual and was throwing 2-3 codes from my cel and made driving it a nightmare</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, I remember that. : P
Old 09-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha, I remember that. : P</TD></TR></TABLE>

it was crazy
anytime i let off the gas in first or second would send my car bucking like crazy.
so i had to learn by always going into neutral before getting off the gas LOL
Old 09-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Teaching how to drive Manual (hayabusa160)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayabusa160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i do is i show them where the friction point is.
i tell them to slowly let go of the clutch till you feel the engine start to struggle and rpm starts to drop and hold it just when it starts to do that.
after they understand and feel the friction point. we add the use of the gas to make the car move faster.
most times they get it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, it is all about the friction point. I taught my girlfriend to drive this way. I actually had her stall it a few times just by letting the clutch out slowly and giving it no gas, just so she could get a feel for why a car stalls.

I also explained how the clutch works, that helps. She seemed to pick it up pretty quickly.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Re: Teaching how to drive Manual (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If youve got an area with a slight downgrade hill in it that will help them get started as well. Just make sure that somebody can get it back up the hill if they get down it.

Also, remember that using the E-brake can be a good learning tool on a hill. E-brake on, then you can use the clutch/gas until the car starts to pull, then you can release the e-brake without having to worry about jumping off of the brake and onto the gas.

EDIT: Like hayabusa said, just get the car to where the clutch actually starts to grab, and let it kill the car once or twice. Then show them how to modulate the gas to get it right. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont want to explain the same thing over again just wanted to say that you should use the e-brake trick that ricey explained above...god i remember being so nervous my first time that i was going to bump into the guy behind me because althought i could get out of first...i could not do it fast yet...once i learned about this trick, I was fine...It is a great tool to help you get out of first on a hill
Old 09-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys are lucky my bro had me practice out of 1st gear up a hill. Just tell them to work with the clutch pedal. Have the person fully press the pedal down and than slowly release the pedal until they feel the car move or going to die. After that do the same but have them step on the gas and release the clutch. Make sure they practice on a flat road or parking lot. 1t gear is all they need to practice on if they can drive in firt the other gears or easy.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Teaching how to drive Manual (CivicEX96)

start off by letting them get familiar with the clutch (show them what the friction point is) by putting the car in first and telling them to let out until they feel a pull and then push it back in tell them to do this 10 times until they feel comfortable with it. then have them push in the clutch and show them where each gear is. After they're familiar with friction point and gears have them apply the two together by putting the car in first gear and doing the first excercise agin followed by a little gas and full release of the clutch. Once they can drive in first gear it's all practice makes perfect from there.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Re: Teaching how to drive Manual (SirRevvs)

Thank you every body for your input. This will help. Hope i will be a good instructor.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:48 AM

I just told the person i was teaching to burn out.. Haha. Really its just somthing you need to do and get a feel of by your self. At least thats how i figure it to be
Old 09-03-2004, 10:40 AM
eh6

Default Re: Teaching how to drive Manual (SiKid86)

They'll never learn in any of those manners. What you want to do is wire the drivers seat so that whenever the driver stalls an electric shock is surged through the person's body. You may want to stress the need to wear a diaper.

The way I learned is:

1. I was told what each pedal does first
2. I practiced with the car off moving from gear to gear just so I could get the feel
3. I started off by raising the idle to 1.5k and then slowly-slowy letting off the clutch. When I heard the idle get lower in sound I gradually added more gas.

After a few tries it wasn't so hard anymore. The hardest thing for me was getting out of first gear. Stess on that and they'll have it down to a T.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SHOW THEM HOW TO GET THE CAR MOVING WITH JUST THE CLUTCH.......YOU CAN GET ALL THE WAY INTO 2ND WITH JUST CLUTCH AND NO GAS
Old 09-03-2004, 10:53 AM

Default Re: (Cractos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cractos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SHOW THEM HOW TO GET THE CAR MOVING WITH JUST THE CLUTCH.......YOU CAN GET ALL THE WAY INTO 2ND WITH JUST CLUTCH AND NO GAS</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know about getting to second but yeah you can get the car going without giving it any gas. You just need to let the clutch out slowly. It was like that in all the manual cars I've driven.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I watched my wife drive manual a couple of times but never knew how..so she was giving me rides to work everyday. Since we was pregnant one day she was liek you need to drive yourself to work and left it at that. It took me about 20 minutes to get there (about a 1.5 mile drive) ut I made it and after that I was good. I had a basic understanding of what did what and just went
Old 09-03-2004, 07:40 PM

Default Re: (specv5150)

the hardest for me was reverse
Old 09-03-2004, 08:05 PM

i taught my gf and this is her .2 cents:
"Basically the hardest thing for me was the fact that I was nervous b/c like u other honda-tech guys, your car is your baby. So once I got over the fact that he wasn't gonna kill me if I messed up his clutch, it was like Ricey said, learning in a parking lot, going slow. By the way, he was an excellent teacher!"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Teaching how to drive Manual