Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Teach me the differences / ID these brake parts (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/teach-me-differences-id-these-brake-parts-2509568/)

NOFX 02-24-2009 06:53 PM

Teach me the differences / ID these brake parts

Can anyone tell me the differences between the following rear disc brake set ups?

- '99-'00 Civic Si coupe
- '94-'01 Integra
- '94-'97 del Sol VTEC
- '93-'95 Civic EX coupe
- '92-'95 Civic Si hatch

Looking to put on a 6th gen.

Here is the photo of the parts too. I would like to know the origin of them. So, what car did they come off of?

http://i39.tinypic.com/ngr2b4.jpg

94EG8 02-24-2009 08:04 PM

Re: Teach me the differences / ID these brake parts

Originally Posted by NOFX (Post 37542820)
Can anyone tell me the differences between the following rear disc brake set ups?

- '99-'00 Civic Si coupe
- '94-'01 Integra
- '94-'97 del Sol VTEC
- '93-'95 Civic EX coupe
- '92-'95 Civic Si hatch

Looking to put on a 6th gen.

Here is the photo of the parts too. I would like to know the origin of them. So, what car did they come off of?

So far as I can tell, all but possibly the Del Sol trailing arms are interchangeable. Determining exactly what trailing arms you have based on a picture varies from difficult to impossible. Part numbers are different between 5th gen Si, Del Sol and 6th gen Si, but it may be something very simple that chanaged. I can tell you '90 '93 integra use a different sized rear trailing arm bushing. I'm confident enough that I would take a chance on the trailing arms pictured if you can get them for a decent price. They look to be in excellent shape btw, around here the dust sheilds have typically rotted off.

BlueIntegraBoy 02-24-2009 08:17 PM

All 88-00 Civic (with rear disk), 93-97 Del Sol (with rear disk), and 90-01 Integra rear disk brakes are interchangeable. The 90-93 Integra uses a larger RTA bushing, but does not matter when you are bolting it up to another chassis. All rear disk brakes are the same size and use the same calipers. Only the ebrake cables are different lengths.

NOFX 02-24-2009 09:02 PM

Thanks for the answers so far.

What would be a a good price in your opinions?

Is there a way I could ID them in person? What sort of problems might I run into down the road if I'm not sure what they're from?

slo_hatch 02-24-2009 09:10 PM

i thought i heard someone say here that gsr brakes were larger than ls brakes. but i didnt know if there was any truth to this or not. also, lol i think that is the first time i have EVER seen NOFX post up a question. lol she is too knowledgeable about civics. but always chimes in with great info. lol :thumbup:

dumafit 02-24-2009 09:30 PM

there is no difference in any 94-01 integra non-type-R brakes, so any LS brakes are exactly the same as GSR brakes

BlueIntegraBoy 02-24-2009 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by NOFX (Post 37544561)
Is there a way I could ID them in person? What sort of problems might I run into down the road if I'm not sure what they're from?

Identification will be really difficult. The only problem I see not knowing what year they are from is the amount of mileage seen on the components.

SHG_Claudio 02-25-2009 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 37543834)
So far as I can tell, all but possibly the Del Sol trailing arms are interchangeable. Determining exactly what trailing arms you have based on a picture varies from difficult to impossible. Part numbers are different between 5th gen Si, Del Sol and 6th gen Si, but it may be something very simple that chanaged. I can tell you '90 '93 integra use a different sized rear trailing arm bushing. I'm confident enough that I would take a chance on the trailing arms pictured if you can get them for a decent price. They look to be in excellent shape btw, around here the dust sheilds have typically rotted off.

I do realize for some reason most stock brakes look all rusted like that but 2 questions:

1) Why do they rust like that? From not being used?

2) How do you get rid of the rust in them?

:thumbup:

NOFX, I dont know anything about the diff in brakes, sorry!

94EG8 02-25-2009 06:00 AM

I think I paid $125CDN for mine, they were already pulled from the car, came with good parking brake cables and new rotors and pads.

What sort of problems might I run into down the road if I'm not sure what they're from?

Other than mileage like BlueIntegraBoy I don't forsee any problems, they all use the same calipers and rotors. The biggest thing i'd do is try to check and see that the calipers aren't seized and that the wheel bearings are good. I wouldn't let the condition of the pads and rotors influence my desicion too much, i'd just consider it a bonus if they were good.

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic
I do realize for some reason most stock brakes look all rusted like that but 2 questions:

1) Why do they rust like that? From not being used?

Yes

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic
2) How do you get rid of the rust in them?

If its on the actual braking surface of the rotor that the pad comes in contact with it will either polish up on its own from using the brakes, or you can clean the rotors with some spray nine and steel wool (remember to spray them with brake clean when you're done to remove any residue) If you mean the rest of the rotor you can chip off the loose rust with a chipping hammer and clean them further with a wire wheel, they will still look rusty though, you'll have to mask off the braking surface of the rotor and paint the rest if you want them to look good.

94CivicSi 02-25-2009 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 37547098)
The biggest thing i'd do is try to check and see that the calipers aren't seized and that the wheel bearings are good.

Definitely check the wheel bearings. I swapped out the front knuckles on my old EG Si and left the old 9.5" knuckles in my Dad's garage. Within a year, I couldn't turn the hub by hand anymore. Heavy wear and lack of use is a bad combo.

Check to make sure the rubber boots on the caliper pistons are in good shape too. If they're torn, you may have a very sticky caliper at best, a piston seized inside the bore at worst. Rotate the piston to make sure it travels in and out without ease. I just rebuilt one of the calipers that I bought for the rear disc conversion on my EJ8 and it wasn't fun.

EL Vap133 02-25-2009 08:02 AM

Best way to check and see what car they "possibly" came off of is to look at the LCAs. If the LCAs are the original ones then you know what care they came off of. :thumbup:

A good and complete set up goes for about $175-$250, depending on who is selling them, what condition they are in, and what kind of pads & lines they are using.

NOFX 02-26-2009 01:12 AM

Thanks again for all the info. :)

I also checked some part numbers for pads and rotors at Autozone today. I used their part numbers since they're not as likely as Honda to use a different part number for basically the same product.

I'll only post an example of a part number. There are other choices available for each of course.

Figured I might as well post the ITR stuff in case anyone is looking for it.

Rear Rotors

'99-'00 Civic Si / '93-'97 del Sol / '94-'01 Integra (GS, LS, RS, GSR)
Rotor Outside Diameter: 239 mm
Height: 48 mm
Bolt Hole and Circle Diameter: 4-100 mm

'97-'01 Integra Type R
Rotor Outside Diameter: 260 mm
Height: ?? mm
Bolt Hole and Circle Diameter: 5-114 mm

Rear Pad

'99-'00 Civic Si / '93-'97 del Sol
D564

'98 Integra (all)
D536

Construction between the pads appears different in the photos. I should bring a camera tomorrow and snap some pics for comparison.

Again though, this is not my territory, so I don't know if it matters.

b16racereg6 02-26-2009 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by BlueIntegraBoy (Post 37543997)
All 88-00 Civic (with rear disk), 93-97 Del Sol (with rear disk), and 90-01 Integra rear disk brakes are interchangeable. The 90-93 Integra uses a larger RTA bushing, but does not matter when you are bolting it up to another chassis. All rear disk brakes are the same size and use the same calipers. Only the ebrake cables are different lengths.

yo this is dam good infor toooo know cuz i wana do rear disk but every 94to01 teg is raped in the junk yrd but the da's never tuched ima get me some da rear disk for my coupe and some 94teg ebrake cables this spring and throw them on........ thanks man i did not even know that....

i drive a honda 08-01-2009 01:38 AM

Thanks for the answers so far.

$80-90
$100-110 if the rotors are good. and sway bars inc.

93-95 civic EX should have ABS

the EF chassis trailing arms are thinner in person while the EG chassis ones are slightly thicker ( talking width)

from my personal experience.

the Ek era ones i have only seen ones i have worked on look pretty much the same.

one problem we had was brake cable length (parking) but that could've been a hatch to sedan problem and less than a chassis year problem.

enoy

NOFX 08-01-2009 12:18 PM

Thanks for all the help, everyone. :)

Ended up without any rear brake conversion so far thanks to the seller being a janky local garage (I didn't know until we were there).

They checked out my car hardcore, which made me uncomfortable, had car parts strewn everywhere in front of the garage (bodykits, seats, basically anything laying out carefully).

Then they could only find RIGHT sides of the brakes. They thought they left the left ones at their mom's house. :|

So I still have the crap drum brakes I've desperately wanted to rid myself of. I only want '99-'00 Si brakes if I can help it though. I don't ever want any surprises on my car and having unknown brake parts could potentially cause problems even if they're all "almost" the same.

Perhaps I will be lucky enough to find a local parting an Si sometime. I have plenty of time to wait though. I don't ever plan on getting rid of this car.

AphexMatt 08-02-2009 05:56 AM

On another forum I found a great post about everything concerning this.
http://nwp4life.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=33219

If that doesn't work here is how to find it:
Goto: nwp4life.com
User name: BrakeExpert
Thread title: How to put X brakes on your EK Civic - also applies to Integras and older Civics
Time / Date: 9:21 PM 6/28/2009

NOFX 08-02-2009 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by AphexMatt (Post 39473004)
On another forum I found a great post about everything concerning this.
http://nwp4life.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=33219

If that doesn't work here is how to find it:
Goto: nwp4life.com
User name: BrakeExpert
Thread title: How to put X brakes on your EK Civic - also applies to Integras and older Civics
Time / Date: 9:21 PM 6/28/2009

I'm familiar with that thread. It's on a few other forums and was on this one at least at one point.

Unfortunately that thread doesn't really go over everything concerning this. I don't want to put an off the wall set of brakes on my car. I want to know I'm buying 1999-2000 Civic Si rear brakes because those are the ones I want.

It's definitely a helpful thread that could help someone if they happen to find this thread through search.