Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tapered wheel bearings for civics and or change lubricant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tapered wheel bearings for civics and or change lubricant?

I just found out that the Civics and Corollas of late (last 20 years?) use wheel bearings that appear to be self contained, something that looks awfully similar to a throwout bearing. What I'm bothered by is, 1. Why aren't these tapered wheel bearings? 2. Is there a way to make sure the wheel bearing is using a synthetic lubricant? 3. Is there a way to use tapered wheel bearings and my own lubricant on these cars? I have a '98 Civic and I've yet to "dig into" the car but one of my plans was to replace the wheel bearings and or re-grease them with a high end synthetic lubricant so that they'll roll better in very cold conditions. I've found my car doesn't "roll" as well in neutral on a cold startup compared to when I've been driving the car for awhile, with this being true for pretty much every car I've used.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Tapered wheel bearings for civics and or change lubricant?

They're a sealed double ball bearing unit, the aren't really meant to come apart (if you're careful you can do it, but you're likely to do more harm than good) As far as why aren't they tapered wheel bearings? Ask Honda. They normally last over 200,000kms, actually I still have one original front wheel bearing on my '94 civic with a little over 360,000kms on it, thats pretty good life out of a wheel bearing. And thats running in extreme temperatures, I live in atlantic canada, depending on the time of year the temperature can range from +32c to -40c I really haven't had or seen any issues with wheel bearings on these cars. GM hub assemblies however suck, hell even the newer honda hub asssemblies aren't so hot.

Btw, if you're doing this for mileage or something, you're crazy, wheel bearings and consequently the grease in them gets warm fast, even when its cold out. Within a mile you shouldn't notice any difference. Also to get the bearing apart IIRC the soft seal is on the inside so you have to press out the hub, and then the bearing to get at them which is in no way worthwhile.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember reading somewhere that one can actually swap out these bearings and use tapered bearings instead with your own grease, is that true? They even went as far to say that you don't need a press if they're tapered but you do if they're not.. I have no idea about this kind of stuff.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by fleabag
I remember reading somewhere that one can actually swap out these bearings and use tapered bearings instead with your own grease, is that true?
No.

They even went as far to say that you don't need a press if they're tapered but you do if they're not.. I have no idea about this kind of stuff.
Thats true. Honda used a sealed double bearing unit for this cars, its pressed into the knuckle and then locked in with an internal snap ring. You can technically remove them without a press by hammering them out but it ruins the bearing in the process. Tapered wheel bearings don't require a press due to their basic design, they're meant to be serviceable.

Don't get me wrong, tapered wheel bearings are great, they last forever and they're dirt cheap. But trying to run them in a civic is an exercise in futility, especially when the factory bearings don't have any issues and aren't particularly expensive. If you had say a full size chev half ton with a hub assembly I could see wanting to do this.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it unreasonable to expect to find a tapered bearing unit that is not only sealed but would fit in the existing hub for the Civic?

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/p...newlink=1_14_0

maybe something like this:http://www.skf.com/images/cat/images...4/1000f05b.jpg

I remember looking at an online autoparts store and they had two sections, one was "Replacement parts" and one was "universal replacement parts", like the "universal" meant generic, though the generic would fit and work? I mean a bearing is a bearing, so is there really any reason why you have to use the OE parts instead of an aftermarket part? I was thinking that if I can get a tapered aftermarket wheel bearing to work with the car, that when I go to replace the thrust bearing for the clutch, I'll use a tapered bearing there as well so that I don't "trash" my throwout bearing thanks to holding in the clutch at stop lights like some people claim thanks to the "crappy bearings" (ball bearings).
Old 10-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Seagull Management

Is it unreasonable to expect to find a tapered bearing unit that is not only sealed but would fit in the existing hub for the Civic?
Yes. Remember the bearing has to have identical inside and outside diameters as well as being the same thickness.

I remember looking at an online autoparts store and they had two sections, one was "Replacement parts" and one was "universal replacement parts", like the "universal" meant generic, though the generic would fit and work? I mean a bearing is a bearing, so is there really any reason why you have to use the OE parts instead of an aftermarket part? I was thinking that if I can get a tapered aftermarket wheel bearing to work with the car, that when I go to replace the thrust bearing for the clutch, I'll use a tapered bearing there as well so that I don't "trash" my throwout bearing thanks to holding in the clutch at stop lights like some people claim thanks to the "crappy bearings" (ball bearings).
You can order an aftermarket wheel bearing for your civic but its still going to be a double ball bearing. I honestly can't remember what honda used for a throwout bearing, but whatever it is you'll be using the same thing, they aren't just a normal bearing, they have a coller on one side that runs up against the pressure plate. Btw holding the clutch in at stop lights is probably worse for pressure plate finger wear than anything, and bearings aren't going to fix that.

I think you're overly obsessed with this personally. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the bearings that come in these cars as much as you seem to think there is.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what were you planing on puting the bearing on the c/v axel ? there is no place for tapered bearings to ride. maybe try something simple like changing your trans fluid. and oil i would strongly recommend buying a hayes manuel and reading up on these things before you try anything.