Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Taking out power steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking out power steering

Well I'm a noob to mechanics and am trying to do this, from what my friends tell me I only clamp the two hoses together by the power steering pump then just take the belt off. Am I missing anything?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Taking out power steering (irollerblade)

Um alot?! You cant just "take off" power steering. Well you can, but good luck turning... I am pretty sure you will need to replace the power steering system with a rack and pinion system from a car without PS. BTW Why are you taking it off? do you just not want it, or are you replacing the pump or something? If your just replacing parts, refer to a repair manual like a Haynes or Chilton
Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep the power steering unless you know WTF you are doing. Removing the belt will leave the system pressurized, making it hard to turn, rather than when its unpressurized. Even then, by removing the fluids from a system that was made to require them will cause the rack to rot out over time from not being sealed and constantly used during motor operation. Someone on here sells P/S removal kits if you really want to take it out.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Taking out power steering (jdmturbo1127)

you can just loop it off and makesure the systems full of fluid, one of the guys on here sells a powersteering removal kit.
if your cars a daily driver i would probably recomend keeping your powersteering. only costs you like 2hp.
i had a thread i started about keeping it or removing it recently i can post up the link if u want.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Taking out power steering (skcivic4life)

anyone on this site that knows anything knows that 2-5 hp can make a hell of a difference on the track. You need to build a loop-back and a breather. you have to put the breather in the line so the fluid can circulate as you turn and drive the car. You can remove the P\S pump, lines, and rack and pinion and replace it with a manual rack if you are removing the motor to tear out the lines and dropping the rack and pinion isn't an easy task. I used to have a 92' integra Ls that I put a loopback and breather in and ran that rack for 2-years with no problem. After a while to change the steering ratio i opted for an 88-91 CRX Si manual rack and pinion because it has a closer steering ratio than the Integra unit. removing the power steering system not only frees up a couple horsepower from losing the belt, it also drops some weight from the chassis and has a way better feel at low speed cornering. if you don't want to be muscleing the wheel back and forth when your parallel parking, then I would say leave it alone.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:58 AM
sifu pai mei

Default Re: Taking out power steering (mugenpower95eg4door)

pm Padawan or email him Padauuan@gmail.com
he sells the p/s removel kits
Old 11-07-2007, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Taking out power steering (mugenpower95eg4door)

Why are you guys making this so compicated? All I did was remove the belt and hoses and plugged the holes. I have been driving it like that for probabaly 4-5 years with no problems. And no matter what you do as far as x-ing the whole system it will be harder to turn. I can still turn pretty easily, but I guess if you are weak then it will cause a problem.

And to the OP, I would definately invest in a good service manual and read up in the FAQ's/search on here. Those 2 things combined will go a long way. If you are really that unsure of how to do it, talk to this forum's mod. I believe he sells the kits, but again, a manual will help dramatically.

-Shane