Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is taking off the belt and pulley ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:40 AM
I'm a Jackass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is taking off the belt and pulley ok?

wanna remove the power steering from my car (5th gen) is taking off the belt and pulley ok? does it do the same thing w/o losing all the weight from taking it completely off?
Old 01-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: is taking off the belt and pulley ok? (UTI)

It'll be fine if you leave the pulley on, but it's not like you're going to gain any noticeable differences in power by removing it.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: is taking off the belt and pulley ok? (Syndacate)

like i said on your other post...

why?
taking off your PS will not make your butt dyno any faster.

just take off the belt, if it looks old then just cut if off. then later when you decide that you want your PS back, all ya gotta do is put a belt on. and you will want it back soon.

if you dont and your sure then search for it, there is a thread that tells you how to make your PS rack and pinion a manual one, draining the fluid and makeing a breather for it.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Taking the pulley and belt off will not hurt you in any way. Besides your rack and pinion if you dont reroute your lines. If you leave the pulley on you wont have to worry about your steering.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is taking off the belt and pulley ok? (fasthatchb18c1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fasthatchb18c1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Taking the pulley and belt off will not hurt you in any way. Besides your rack and pinion if you dont reroute your lines. If you leave the pulley on you wont have to worry about your steering.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yeah, I forgot about that

@OP You need a manual rack (or the ghetto way is to re-route your PS rack lines & loop 'em).

You won't see a single hp, but it's your call.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 AM
I'm a Jackass

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why?

taking off your PS will not make your butt dyno any faster.

just take off the belt, if it looks old then just cut if off. then later when you decide that you want your PS back, all ya gotta do is put a belt on. and you will want it back soon.

if you dont and your sure then search for it, there is a thread that tells you how to make your PS rack and pinion a manual one, draining the fluid and makeing a breather for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im not taking it off for HP gains, im taking it off so i can have a better feel and control of the car especially under heavy tq steer
Old 01-28-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh
Old 01-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: is taking off the belt and pulley ok? (THC07)

now knowing my reason for wanting to take it off, will taking the belt off do what i want?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now knowing my reason for wanting to take it off, will taking the belt off do what i want?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but you'll damage the rack unless you loop the lines or (the correct way) put in a manual steering rack.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I'm a Jackass

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, but you'll damage the rack unless you loop the lines or (the correct way) put in a manual steering rack.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how will it damage the rack? im a noob at this. how do i loop the lines? and what will damaging the rack do?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you just pull off the belt it will overflow the PS reservoir after a few turns. If your wanting to lose the PS remove the pump and the lines and turn the wheel back and forth with a towel over the holes in the rack to block the fluid when it squirts out. After that you could loop the lines or just leave them open. I've seen it done both ways and have never seen or heard of any major deterioration of the rack due to no fluid being in it or being left open.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how will it damage the rack? im a noob at this. how do i loop the lines? and what will damaging the rack do?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The rack is designed to work with the pump, much like your engine is designed to work with your coolant system, or oil system.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you just pull off the belt it will overflow the PS reservoir after a few turns. If your wanting to lose the PS remove the pump and the lines and turn the wheel back and forth with a towel over the holes in the rack to block the fluid when it squirts out. After that you could loop the lines or just leave them open. I've seen it done both ways and have never seen or heard of any major deterioration of the rack due to no fluid being in it or being left open.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This will probably work. I've never looped the lines myself but I can tell ya that it's the ghetto way.

I would keep PS on there, that's just me. More of a hassle to take it off.

I'm not sure what kind of damage it will 'cause as I never had the urge to disconnect the power steering for any reason.

You should be able to feel the car with or without power steering.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: is taking off the belt and pulley ok? (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you just pull off the belt it will overflow the PS reservoir after a few turns. If your wanting to lose the PS remove the pump and the lines and turn the wheel back and forth with a towel over the holes in the rack to block the fluid when it squirts out. After that you could loop the lines or just leave them open. I've seen it done both ways and have never seen or heard of any major deterioration of the rack due to no fluid being in it or being left open.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so y cant i just drain the reservoir? also what happens when the rack is damaged?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UTI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im not taking it off for HP gains, im taking it off so i can have a better feel and control of the car especially under heavy tq steer</TD></TR></TABLE>

hah heavy torque steer......you drive a Honda, may i remind you.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so y cant i just drain the reservoir? also what happens when the rack is damaged?</TD></TR></TABLE>

longevity i guess.

looping the lines and adding a breather, you do drain most of the fluid btw. you just leave a little in for lube. looped, breather, drain. from what ive read.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:56 PM

i looped mine, its not bad...however the only way you notice any drag is durring hard cornering....most people do it to clean up the engine bay
Old 01-28-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

just swap a non ps rack???? its not like its expensive. thats the only fool proof way to do it. then the rack was actualy designed to work without ps.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slammed00si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed00si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just swap a non ps rack???? its not like its expensive. thats the only fool proof way to do it. then the rack was actualy designed to work without ps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you ever swapped a rack? It's easier to just remove some lines in about 20 minutes over a 6 hour job and then needing a alignment.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm a Jackass

Old 01-29-2007, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nsxmatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nsxmatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Have you ever swapped a rack? It's easier to just remove some lines in about 20 minutes over a 6 hour job and then needing a alignment. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, might be easier, but it's also the ghetto half-*** way.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, might be easier, but it's also the ghetto half-*** way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your past 5k posts have been some of the most useless uneducated garbage ever posted here.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:25 PM

Default Re: is taking off the belt and pulley ok? (F)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=184202

check that out
Old 01-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, might be easier, but it's also the ghetto half-*** way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not half-assed at all if replacing the steering rack bumps you up to another class. That's why Realtime looped it and put a breather on their ITRs instead of replacing the rack.

'course if you're not worrying about SCCA classes or the like, then part of the equation is how much time & money do you want to invest in removing power steering. From what I remember most manual racks require more turns lock to lock (to decrease steering effort), so it's not as though moving to a manual rack doesn't have it's downsides.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's not half-assed at all if replacing the steering rack bumps you up to another class. That's why Realtime looped it and put a breather on their ITRs instead of replacing the rack.

'course if you're not worrying about SCCA classes or the like, then part of the equation is how much time & money do you want to invest in removing power steering. From what I remember most manual racks require more turns lock to lock (to decrease steering effort), so it's not as though moving to a manual rack doesn't have it's downsides.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, I'm just saying, I see swapping racks and running the proper rack a more proper way.

Doesn't really matter which though.

Sort of like re-wiring the plug on a dizzy for an OBD versus just getting a new dizzy of that OBD.

There's the "proper" way and then there's the ghetto way, ghetto way is usually cheaper, can be just as efficient, not always, is in this case.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:05 PM

ok they way i see it you can just loop the lines. but then why are you doing it in the first place. i have swapped a rack and it takes nowhere near six hours and it is designed to not use ps. i will say this no matter how you put it that is the ghetto half *** way. no matter what race team does it. do it right use the right part and walla no worries. lock to lock is about the same for me in between my si(ps) and my cx(no ps)

Quick Reply: is taking off the belt and pulley ok?