Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Tail light and license plate light fuse keeps blowing (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/tail-light-license-plate-light-fuse-keeps-blowing-3250649/)

muschiGott 06-14-2015 10:20 AM

Tail light and license plate light fuse keeps blowing

I changed out my OEM tail lights and bulbs for the all clear tail lights and LED bulbs for the turn signal, tail light, and brake lights. I put them all in and the brake lights and turn signal worked but the license plate and tail lights didn't work. I checked the fuse and it was blown so I switched out and it blew as soon as I turned my lights on. I switched back to my old tail lights and bulbs, same thing happens. I even tried different connectors from the junk yard and still the same thing is happening.

I'm thinking it's a short somewhere, does anyone else got any other ideas?

1996 Civic LX Sedan
After market deck and speakers
EDM headlights
Bone stock engine

TomCat39 06-15-2015 02:38 PM

Re: Tail light and license plate light fuse keeps blowing

Originally Posted by muschiGott (Post 50394424)
I'm thinking it's a short somewhere

:truth:

Former User 06-15-2015 03:01 PM

Your thread requires car information. See Rules sticky.

Buy a box of fuses.

Remove all new bulbs from taillights, parking lights, and license plate lights. Does the fuse no longer blow?

muschiGott 06-15-2015 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT (Post 50396451)
Your thread requires car information. See Rules sticky.

Buy a box of fuses.

Remove all new bulbs from taillights, parking lights, and license plate lights. Does the fuse no longer blow?

Fixed. Did all that but it's still blowing.

Former User 06-15-2015 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by muschiGott (Post 50396525)
Did all that but it's still blowing.

Are you saying that after removing every single bulb from the taillights, parking lights, and license plate lights, the fuse still blows when your twist the light switch one notch to the parking lights?

muschiGott 06-15-2015 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT (Post 50396532)
Are you saying that after removing every single bulb from the taillights, parking lights, and license plate lights, the fuse still blows when your twist the light switch one notch to the parking lights?

Yes I am saying that. Would you like a video of me doing it?

Former User 06-15-2015 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by muschiGott (Post 50396822)
Yes I am saying that. Would you like a video of me doing it?

Sure

300k 10-27-2015 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by muschiGott (Post 50394424)
After market deck and speakers

Double, Triple, Quadruple check the wiring behind your stereo. This is almost 100 percent the issue when having the problem you are having. I had electrical tape melt off the wires and expose wires causing a short. Secured connections with wire caps then electrical tape and the issue was solved.

Check the illumination wire from your stereo shorting on something as well, just read that was an issue with another poster. The red, yellow and orange wires on the stereo are easy mixed up.

Also take your wiring on the back of the stereo and actually ground it not splice into another ground.

Let us know how it works out!