Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Tahitian Green vs. Aztec Green ???? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/tahitian-green-vs-aztec-green-2781342/)

Mr. Winky 05-24-2010 03:45 PM

Tahitian Green vs. Aztec Green ????

Here is my dilemma.

I recently purchased a 1994 Honda civic dx hatchback. It needs a few small things repainted...like the front bumper and the tailgate. Problem is.. the previous owner removed the inner paint code sticker from the driver's side inner door jamb.

I have looked at numerous pictures of Aztec Green Pearl Clearcoat (BG-29P) which was offered from 1993-1994. I can almost swear that this is my color code, but in alot of pictures it looks too green to match my car.. sometimes my car looks more blue at times
I began to look at pictures of Tahitian Green Pearl Clearcoat (BG-28P) which was offered exclusively in 1992. My car almost seems to look identical to this color at certain times of the day, but in direct sunlight it looks like aztec

I am not totally sure if the car has been resprayed by the previous owner. Maybe. It seems to be original (i.e. no tape/paint lines. no overspray. nothing oddly out of place) The front bumper is painted like the 92 should be (black louvers where the fogs would be. I'm pretty sure 92s are black louvers)
I am just somewhat lost as to what color I have and was trying to narrow it down before I just guessed at which one it was and had the parts resprayed. It could possibly even be another factory color like paradise blue/green pearl...idk..

The colors just look too close for me to tell. Can anyone post up pictures of Tahitian green egs and also Aztec green egs? would be totally cool to get a pic of both side by side..doubt that would happen.

Here is mine
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6771350_n.jpg
any help would be greatly appreciated

D16SiHatch 05-24-2010 06:07 PM

Re: Tahitian Green vs. Aztec Green ????

you weren't kiddin. they sure are hard to tell apart. my only suggestion is to repaint the whole damn thing midori green :-p lol

Hondatherdm 05-24-2010 06:11 PM

paint store should have paint matching color chips, see which one matches

Blazin Si 05-24-2010 06:23 PM

I could better assist you in your color choice if you didn't take tilted photos like that.

Mr. Winky 05-25-2010 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hondatherdm (Post 42569573)
paint store should have paint matching color chips, see which one matches

but the car almost seems to be different colors at different times of day. Looks very light turquoise green in direct sunlight during the day. When the sun is setting it has more of a blue green teal and at night under certain lighting it almost looks majority blue-ish....
I don't know how paint matching color chips work..

Nayram 05-25-2010 09:44 AM

Yeah man I can't help you with the color, but i will say thats a pretty cool picture you took there. Digg it.

Adamvanxxx 05-25-2010 10:15 AM

I have a Tahitian green hatch and tha looks VERY close to what mine does. It sometimes changes color in light, but that is to dark for aztec imo.

EK TUNER 05-25-2010 10:21 AM

I thought there were only 2 teal colors for EG's. Aztec Green(which is a turqoise color) from 93-94. And Paradise Blue Green(which is more green than blue) for 95 only. Tahitian Green is the teal color that was found older EF civics. It is shade darker than Aztec Green. Judging from your pic, your car looks like Aztec Green and not Tahitian Green. It being a 94 should be the only evidence you need really though.

hushypushy 05-25-2010 10:31 AM

It'll be hard to compare by pics...a slight difference in white balance will make the color look more or less blue...and that's the defining characteristic.

On one hand, your color looks like Tahitian Green:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2461/...dc5c108e_b.jpg

but on the other hand it might be more like Aztec Green:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3617/...57259d10_b.jpg

I think your best bet is to find another teal car and park next to it!

The bumper side grills may have been painted black (92-93 style), but your mirror was definitely painted a color (Si style). So there was definitely some (re)painting done to your car, even if it was just the mirrors.

Is the car the same color under the hood and under the carpet that it is on the outside?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2798/...009ae5bf_o.jpg

Hondatherdm 05-25-2010 10:37 AM

different metallics makes it look different, but you compare at sunlight, thats how they do some wierd colors at bodyshops

Mr. Winky 05-25-2010 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by hushypushy (Post 42575949)
It'll be hard to compare by pics...a slight difference in white balance will make the color look more or less blue...and that's the defining characteristic.

I think your best bet is to find another teal car and park next to it!

The bumper side grills may have been painted black (92-93 style), but your mirror was definitely painted a color (Si style). So there was definitely some (re)painting done to your car, even if it was just the mirrors.

Is the car the same color under the hood and under the carpet that it is on the outside?

The car is the exact same color under the hood and everywhere else..even behind the gas door...So I know the body was never repainted as a whole. It looks like factory paint. It is evenly faded, but still shiny...

As for the mirrors being painted... I needed a new driver's side because mine was beyond repair. I picked up a set of power mirrors from a 95 ex coupe at salvage. Were the coupes painted aztec? When I installed the mirrors..there is the slightest bit of difference in the colors. To the naked eye no one would ever be able to tell the difference, but I can. The mirror looks more green like aztec and my car looks like tahitian with a blue pearly color. I will try to snap some better pics of the contrast of the mirror next to the door.

And as for the car being a 94... I'm not so totally sure anymore. Now I am beginning to think something is up with the title or something was swapped somewhere down the road.
What are all the differences in 92-93 and 94-95?

My car has:
-Firewall mounted map
-No passenger airbag. smooth dashboard
-Black factory bumper side grilles. Not repainted. I checked. still abs black

Mr. Winky 05-25-2010 12:51 PM

And as for the years and corresponding paint codes.. I have been looking here:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=15035

Tahitian was offered in 92 only..

tr4c3 05-25-2010 01:00 PM

I has PBG. No help from me haha.

NOFX 05-25-2010 01:04 PM

You can tell the car's year from the VIN. If you are confused, PM me the VIN and I will run it through Hondanet for you.

I have a friend with a '92 VX that's Tahitian Green Pearl. We also know where someone parks their '93-'94 Aztec Green hatch while they're at work. So perhaps if there is a parking spot next to that car sometime I can see if he can try to snap a photo to compare.

deadazleep 05-25-2010 01:56 PM

when i saw the op's first post i had to take a 2nd look haha, looks just like mine, well heres my 93 si with bg-29p if it helps any
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...as%20sol/h.jpg

Mr. Winky 05-25-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by NOFX (Post 42577457)
You can tell the car's year from the VIN. If you are confused, PM me the VIN and I will run it through Hondanet for you.

I have a friend with a '92 VX that's Tahitian Green Pearl. We also know where someone parks their '93-'94 Aztec Green hatch while they're at work. So perhaps if there is a parking spot next to that car sometime I can see if he can try to snap a photo to compare.

That would be very very helpful. Thank you. Plus i think it would be a good reference pic.

Originally Posted by deadazleep (Post 42577890)
when i saw the op's first post i had to take a 2nd look haha, looks just like mine, well heres my 93 si with bg-29p if it helps any
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...as%20sol/h.jpg

Looks pretty close..ha. Yours looks just like my color. I'm guessing that aztec green just looks more blue-ish in certain lighting..

Thanks for all the help from everyone so far

94EG8 05-25-2010 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Winky (Post 42577323)
My car has:
-Firewall mounted map
-No passenger airbag. smooth dashboard
-Black factory bumper side grilles. Not repainted. I checked. still abs black

Thoese are all '92 - '93 exclusive features. If its prewired for vtec to the shock tower plug on the passenger's side then its a '92 (or its using a '92 cabin harness) If its not prewired for vtec its a '93

Mr. Winky 05-25-2010 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 42578109)
Thoese are all '92 - '93 exclusive features. If its prewired for vtec to the shock tower plug on the passenger's side then its a '92 (or its using a '92 cabin harness) If its not prewired for vtec its a '93

Ok. I will check that out in the morning. That should have been the first thing I looked for..

and this pic is just for Blazin Si-
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4653829_n.jpg

Mr. Winky 05-25-2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by 94EG8 (Post 42578109)

using this for reference-
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/wiring/...ktowerplug.jpg

Ok so I got anxious and went ahead and checked. I do have the pre-wired harness
-vtec solenoid orange/white wire at the shock tower plug
-vtec pressure switch orange/blue wire at the shock tower plug
Nothing looks tampered with and looks 100% original wiring. strange. This just makes my quest for a paint code even harder. Maybe I do have tahitian green after all.

My dilemma now:
-All VINs and the title state that the car is a 1994 dx. None look tampered with. all original rivets in the dash and original on the firewall....but
-I have a 92 smooth dash
-I have firewall mounted map
-I have pre-wired vtec harness which would indicate 92
-Unpainted front bumper grilles which would indicate 92
-Nothing ...absolutely nothing on the car looks repainted. Under the carpet and spare tire well all looks original.

I am going to PM my VIN to NOFX and see if he would be so kind as to run it through Hondanet like he suggested. I am just all sorts of confused. I have owned 3 egs and have never seen this. maybe the car is a freak..

Anything else I can look for to confirm it is a 92?

NOFX 05-25-2010 11:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, according to Hondanet's VIN look-up it's a 1994 DX. Nothing looked strange at all to me.

I did get this today though.

The bumper on the LEFT is definitely Tahitian Green Pearl. We believe the one on the RIGHT is Aztec Green Pearl since he said he took the color from a catalog saying it's for 1993.

Attachment 538774

And yes, the color is horrible, but it's a quick cell phone photo just to compare the differences.

hushypushy 05-28-2010 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Winky (Post 42582147)
Ok. I will check that out in the morning. That should have been the first thing I looked for..

and this pic is just for Blazin Si-
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4653829_n.jpg

99% sure this is Aztec Green Pearl.

To answer your mirror question: 93-95 Civic Si and EX had painted mirrors. If you took the mirrors off a teal EX then they'd be Aztec Green. The reason they are slightly different is because either your car or the donor car sat out in the sun longer. If they were majorly different, then you might have Tahitian Green--in person, the difference between AGP and TGP is enormous. My avatar is TGP, btw.

Jdmpopper 06-18-2010 05:35 PM

I think it looks more Aztec green I have a Tahitian green 92 hatch an a Aztec green front end off a 93 and in the day they look totally different at nite they match but under a street light my car looks more blue I have a friend with a 94 coupe that's Aztec green an it looks more like your car an also I think Tahitian green was offerd in 93 cause I have a friend with a 93 that's the exact same color as mine. But I dnt know an you can always check your paint code on your door jamb. An also Ill take some pics of my car and front end in a few different lights of day an post up asap..

NOFX 06-18-2010 08:40 PM

Got a confirmation that the bumper in the photo I posted is definitely Aztec Green. So that is a correct comparison.

thumper64 06-19-2010 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by NOFX (Post 42582874)
Well, according to Hondanet's VIN look-up it's a 1994 DX. Nothing looked strange at all to me.

I did get this today though.

The bumper on the LEFT is definitely Tahitian Green Pearl. We believe the one on the RIGHT is Aztec Green Pearl since he said he took the color from a catalog saying it's for 1993.

http://imgur.com/7jPEa.jpg

And yes, the color is horrible, but it's a quick cell phone photo just to compare the differences.

Mr. Winky, NOFX is actually a woman...and probably the only one on here.

A while back I saw a fifth gen Civic painted a green that looked like that Aztec Green as it is in that picture. It was a very sharp looking hunter green. When looking at all the pictures of the Aztec Green in the day light, they look sort of teal.
Is there another green Honda used on the fifth gen Civics?

I am doubting it was repainted since it was bone stock looking and being driven by a middle aged woman.

NOFX 06-19-2010 01:23 AM

There was Isle Green Pearl aka Lausanne Green Pearl, but it was on sedans only IIRC and very rare. It usually looks black at first. It also came on del Sols (again, very rare).

I've only seen one del Sol in person in this color and probably less than three sedans in that color.

Definitely not going to look like a forest green color though.