Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tachometer not correct(Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tachometer not correct(Searched)

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death at some point or another. I have been around here however, long enough to know to do my part and search before posting for assistance. Searching didn't turn up a whole lot that was specific to my direct issue.

Did seem that most tach issues were possibly the result of a faulty ICM.

Details:

Car: 93 Civic EJ1
Engine/Tranny: LS with GSR Tranny.

Problem: Months ago I had a cluster in my car and the tach started reading wrong. As in it wasn't reading the correct RPM. I knew what the RPM should be reading at certain speeds in certain gears and it would be off around 500-600RPM. This cluster was from an auto civic and I had a 5-spd cluster laying around so I decided to swap it out.

Problem ended up being solved. The tach on the new cluster seemed just fine. And has been fine ever since, until today. I went out to the store and noticed one time when jumping into the throttle that the tach hung up and stopped at roughly 2500 and then jumped past it. Engine never missed a beat. Then the tach needle would not go back down past 1500. The engine was not idling at 1500 however. It seemed to be idling normally like it always does at 800 or so. Oil psi seemed right on with that as well reading around 25psi.

I switched the engine off and the tach needle slowly made its way down to zero. Started engine back up and straight to 1400-1500 the needle went. I took off again knowing I was over 3000RPMs and it was getting stuck around 2500 and didn't seem to want to go past that.

Any ideas? Maybe some dust, grit made its way into my cluster and is messing with the tach needle?

I am not exactly sure what cluster I have. I know its an EG cluster of course but it has an upshift light on it so I am thinking its a VX, CX cluster? It has been reading fine for months though until today so I don't think it not being from an EX is the issue. Has a redline at 6000RPMs.

The engine however never acted up, ran great as usual, no CEL or anything.

Never really delt with a tach related issue before so if I am leaving out any "need to know" information let me know and I will do my best to give it.

Thanks in advance H-T.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tachometer not correct(Searched)

Try it with a different '92-'95 cluster with tach...or any other tack for that matter. It sounds like a cluster issue, not a motor-side problem.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the reply Syndacate. That's what I was thinking. The way it was acting seemed more like a cluster side issue than the engine side. Just the way the needle seemed sluggish and seemed to be sort of "sticking" per say. I will pop the cluster apart and make sure nothing is gunked up in there. Won't hurt. I will try and find another tach and see what happens.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I drove the car over to my parents this morning to drop a few things off and the tach still wasn't right...I was hoping it would just "magically" fix itself over night. But it didn't..oh well. It seemed a couple times as I was actually getting on the throttle where the RPMs should have been going UP..the needle was actually very slowly wanting to go DOWN..Ok..that makes NO sense.

It irritated me to death. I don't have another gauge cluster to try at this time and no funds to get another so when I got back home I just went ghetto and pulled the damn needle off and put the cluster back together. Now I don't have to worry about looking at the damn thing. Still have the tach..just no needle..put it in my console for later.

I'd rather not have to worry about looking at the tach at all rather than have it there and it be doing what it did. I tried not to look at it..I really did..but damn my eyes kept peaking at it and it wasn't right which was pissing me off.