T bracket question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 04:57 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T bracket question

Good morning guys.
So I’m about to be b series finally and going to do my swap. Currently pulling the single cam. gotra finish pulling it out around noon. Just held in by the last 2 mounts right now.
Anyways I just was wondering if anyone had any tips on the bracket install when I go to put my b20 in.
ive pulled & installed my single cam before which was easy.
But ive always had a problem with the rear t bracket & motor mount. It’s always a bitch for me.
Is there a certain way or order anyone recommends to follow?
I usually drop it in with the t bracket on the motor.
I’m thinking about leaving the t bracket off completely then install it last this time ? Maybe use the jack to move the motor if needed?

i am ripping out my power steering rack and going manual steering so I’m assuming I should have a little bit more room to finagle the bracket & bolts around in there
Old 03-12-2019, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts
Default Re: T bracket question

I like to get the engine and transmission in the engine bay very close to level and in the area where you would attach the L and R frame mounts (engine mount on the left and upper transmission on the right) but don't install them yet... first, drag the entire engine hoist and engine back away from the front of the car, essentially moving the engine/trans toward the radiator and front core support as far as you can without damaging anything. Four to six inches will do the trick. Once there, you can sneak in the rear "T" bracket. Slide the rear opening around the rear mount and start the bolt in it... then align the front opening of the "T" bracket with the block flange and slowly push the engine hoist and engine forward moving the engine toward the firewall until the hole in the block aligns with the front "T" bracket hole... start this bolt as well. Now, you can align the engine and transmission mounts. Once they are installed, the engine will hang safely in the engine bay and the engine hoist can be removed.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:45 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
I like to get the engine and transmission in the engine bay very close to level and in the area where you would attach the L and R frame mounts (engine mount on the left and upper transmission on the right) but don't install them yet... first, drag the entire engine hoist and engine back away from the front of the car, essentially moving the engine/trans toward the radiator and front core support as far as you can without damaging anything. Four to six inches will do the trick. Once there, you can sneak in the rear "T" bracket. Slide the rear opening around the rear mount and start the bolt in it... then align the front opening of the "T" bracket with the block flange and slowly push the engine hoist and engine forward moving the engine toward the firewall until the hole in the block aligns with the front "T" bracket hole... start this bolt as well. Now, you can align the engine and transmission mounts. Once they are installed, the engine will hang safely in the engine bay and the engine hoist can be removed.

Good luck.
hey thanks for the reply! I completely get what you’re saying. I will be trying that within the next week.
Going to clean up the bay some before dropping back in. thanks again
Old 03-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

All I can say is thst I used long socket extensions, angle adapter, energon cubes, patience, swearing and elbow grease
Old 03-14-2019, 07:11 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
All I can say is thst I used long socket extensions, angle adapter, energon cubes, patience, swearing and elbow grease
that’s how it usually goes🤣
Old 03-28-2019, 06:56 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1

Good luck.
just wanted to say thanks again. Swaps in running great ! I just need to raise my car because this **** is way heavier than d series. But I didn’t have a problem with the t bracket at all with your info.
Mounted the tranny side & timing side then was able to just move/rock the motor forward from underneath the oil pan (by myself, I’m a small person) and sneak the t bracket in with complete EASE.
I was really not looking forward to installing it but it was actually the easiest part to do lol.
Thanks again !!