Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Syncros or Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Syncros or Clutch?

I little while back i was having trouble shifting into reverse. A lot more than the normal non-syncros honda transmission reverse. I changed the fluid and it started to work really nice for about two weeks.

Just yesterday i was having a little bit of problems getting into reverse again but i was able to get it eventually. Today i get in my car to go somewhere and after about 5 minutes of fiddling around i get it into reverse. Once i pull out of the driveway i speed up and try to shift out of 1st gear and all i head is a horrid whine. The clutch should be disenguaged at this point as i have the clutch pedal pinned to the floor. The only way i was able to finally get it out of 1st gear is after i turned off the car.

From my knowledge i would think it would either be the syncro or the clutch. What is weird is before this point, i've never had a problem shifting and never felt like the clutch was slipping. I hope someone on here has more background knowledge than i do so they can give a better idea as to what is wrong. My car is a 94 civic dx 5 speed.

Thanks to any responses in advance

UPDATE: 10 posts down

Modified by Cypher0117 at 6:39 PM 11/1/2008

Modified by Cypher0117 at 6:40 PM 11/1/2008
Old 10-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is likely a clutch issue, being if your standing still and having a hard time getting in and out of gears. Sounds like its time for a new clutch and a fresh bleeding of the Master/slave cylinder. Slippage doesnt have to be an issue with an old clutch, sometimes the pressure plate splines wear out and dont dissengage the disc from the flywheel properly.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:33 AM

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

It still felt like the clutch was disengaging as i was able to pull into a neighbors driveway and stop. even when i was stopped though, it still wouldn't come out of 1st until i turned off the car. Could that be like what you said and the pressure plate not "properly" disengaging?
Old 10-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, it just happens over time man, the clutch's pressure plate wears out and loses its play. If it were a trans problem, it woudlnt go into gear, regaurdless if the motor was on or off.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:52 AM

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

In that case...Do you have any suggestions as to a good clutch? For all intensive purposes this car is stock (i/h/e) and it has an OE Exedy clutch and pressure plate in there now which has only been in there for about 30-35k miles.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exedy stage one organic is by far the best bang for your buck clutch there is (from my experience and opinion) . Its noticibly stiffer than stock, grabs nice and firm, but is also not a pain to manage for daily driving. Im on my 2nd in 4 years (daily driven, track racing, autocross, street abused, ect ect) and i absolutley love it.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Syncros or Clutch? (Cypher0117)

I moved my car up to the shop and i'm not so sure its the clutch anymore. I was able to get it up the long driveway and after a little while, while stopped, i was able to get it out of 1st gear and into reverse. I Backed into the garage and was able to pretty easily get the car into neutral. or so i thought. The shifter was moving around lke it was in neutral so i let out the clutch and lets just say i'm glad my parking break was on. Because of this i think something is internally wrong with the transmittion itself or a linkage. I wish i knew more about the clutch and transmission but if someone could further confirm it is the clutch or if they think it is something else it would be appreciated.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well if u goin have take trans off might well look at clutch an pressure plate if it look good keep it on motor. i had subi befor that had real hard time getin in gear because clutch was gone. only way could go in gear is if car was turn off. check linkage first then worry about cluch or trans.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Syncros or Clutch? (808Army)

I've only had the trans off once about 4 years ago. It wasn't clutch related so i didn't really pay any attention to that. Is it easy to tell if the clutch is bad just by looking at it as i thought the pressure plate was covering all of that up.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a feeling it might be neither. If you have that much play in your shifter that you thought you were in neutral, Im going to have to say it is your bushings. It is a common problem with these year hondas to have a reverse problem when the linkage/trans bushings bit the bullet. I would look into that first, as they're not difficult to get to.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Syncros or Clutch? (milkstatus)

UPDATE!!

Its not the bushings. Something inside the transmission itself is messed up. I have no idea what it is. I trouble shot today and here are my results:

1) Transmission would not go into any gear normally except for some random times.
2) I lifted the car up and watched as a friend moved the shifter around, there was only play in the stableizer bushing.

3) i lifted both front wheels off the ground and like magic everything started to work fine. Everything except reverse. Because both wheels were off the ground i let the clutch out just enough for the clutch to barely grab and "nudge" the wheels. Every single gear made the wheels spin and i was able to shift with no problem at all. Except for reverse. The shifter went into the position like it was in reservse but all i heard was chattering of the gears when i let the clutch out.

Based on this new information, what does HT think the problem may be?

Thanks for info in advance
Old 11-01-2008, 03:44 PM
NooB

clutch is broke thats what happen to me i broke a puck off my disc
Old 11-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Syncros or Clutch? (IT'S ME DAVID)

take trans out just replace clutch an flywheel if clutch looks really bad. if it not then it would be tranny.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 PM

dropped the transmission out this weekend. I didn't take the pressure plate off, but the clutch looked fine from what i could see so i took the transmission apart. What did i find? I found that one of the screws that holds the reverse idler gear in place had come out and was wedged underneath the bracket. How it got there i don't know. The second screw holding that bracket down was also lose and about to fall out. I looked over all my gears for about a half an hour and didn't find anything chewed up or broken or grooved, Also the screw that was free was also not grooved at all. How this happened i have no idea. I put some thread locker on the screws and screwed them back in. After that i manually shifted the gears while the transmission housing was off and everything seemed to work fine. Every gear worked without any troubles. so i decided to put it back on my car. Right now it isn't all hooked up so i can't tell you if that was the only problem. I will report back when everything gets done.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hope works find get back in
Old 11-09-2008, 04:27 AM

Good news. That loose bolt in the tranny was the issue. All my gears work now.

The one thing that changed is the clutch. I still feel the same pressure and everything, but it engages and disengages at a different point. How do i adjust this as i though hydraulic clutches were self adjusting. I don't like having the clutch engag right after i start lifting off the pedal. I like some travel before it starts grabbing.

Any advice?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Syncros or Clutch?

great solution! glad you were able to figure it out.

Ddi you ever figure out how to adjust the clutch?: