Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

synchros going bad?

Old 07-23-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synchros going bad?

ok so when going from first to second gear, it is kind of hard to make a smooth shift w/ out grinding a little or not even going into gear. sometimes does this with third as well. also whenever going about 45+ if u even try to put it into first (obviously not going to downshift, but if you are just doing it in habit as u are slowing down) it makes a horrible grinding noise. also the clutch slips slightly when going from first to second and second to third when i am ripping it pretty hard. i originally was going to replace the clutch and flywheel/ should i just take it to honda and have them replace the synchros? maybe throw on a lightweight flywheel while they have the tranny apart. its an 00 si with 66k

thanks for any and all help and sorry if it is kind of confusing, i am not very experienced with transmission problems
Old 07-23-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: synchros going bad? (warriorti22)

You will ruin the engagement dogs on the gears if you keep trying for a gear that you cannot get. Does it pop out of gear? Please explain further.

ISB has failed and countershaft needle bearing may have unseated itself, causing the shafts to torque and the sleeve to not properly align with the gear. Very common problem.

Perform these simple tests to confirm this:

Car off, put it into gear, and rock the car back as forth, to should hear a slight backlash if the bearings are okay, if it clunks and the shifter "jumps" up when pushing, the ISB is bad. Don't confuse the rocking with the engine mounts as the shift will move a little naturally because the engine rocks, but if it takes a noticeable jump, the ISB has failed.

You can also do this test with the engine on, place it in first gear, and let the clutch out slightly with your hand off the shifter, again, it will rock a little bit, and that is normal, but if it takes a huge jump forward, another sign of ISB failure.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: synchros going bad? (slowcivic2k)

sorry slowcivic2k, it wont let me instant message. it has yet to pop out of gear. i will go try these tests. i take my car to a local 1/8 mile drag strip and whenever i am gunning it from first to second most of the time it goes to second with a small grind, but sometimes it just plain wont let me into second gear. it is only at relativley high rpms. thank you for the help
Old 07-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On decelleration does it pop out of gear with your hand off of it?

If it does not pop out your synchro's could be worn, try to match the RPM for the gear you are going into, and see if the grinding stops. (IE shift at like 4500RPM, and then maintain like 2800 for second gear, if that is where the RPM will be once you shift)

Old 07-23-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: synchros going bad? (slowcivic2k)

i tried the rocking back and fourth trick....it seemed to only move naturaly. didnt seem like anything too out of place.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would suspect worn synchro rings, and Honda does not sell them individually, only as a kit for the corresponding gears, like $260 for all of it. (It may be cheaper, I just quoted a 1-2 set for an EX and they don't list the synchro assembly alone anymore, but the assembly and the gears too.)

Old 07-23-2007, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well you shouldnt be shifting into 1st at 45+ especially in an Si. and do you rev match your downshifts? i personally dont use the engine speed to help me slow down. id rather wear my brakes out faster and try to save the life of my tranny and motor.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (iVteC_PoWeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iVteC_PoWeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well you shouldnt be shifting into 1st at 45+ especially in an Si. and do you rev match your downshifts? i personally dont use the engine speed to help me slow down. id rather wear my brakes out faster and try to save the life of my tranny and motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very good point, no use wearing out the torque locks, take it out on your POS $10 brake pads XD.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Default Re: (slowcivic2k)

i would never dream of actually downshifting into first going 45 plus, just putting it into first gear while i am in the process of wearing out my shitty brake pads....
Old 07-23-2007, 08:17 PM
* B A N N E D *

slowcovoc ftw... u seem to know whats going on with syncros.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get a second opinion, if you can find him talk to mista bone here, or transzex on d series(same guy) hes just about an ace in the hole when it comes to diagnosing tranny issues. i could be wrong, but im not feeling a sycro issue here.