Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sylvania Xenarc HID fogs part deux

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sylvania Xenarc HID fogs part deux

Finally got the lights aimed and went for a drive.

All I can say is...amazing. The light is pure white and provides fantastic contrast on the road. The light also projects about 15-20 feet off the sides of the road...all the better to spot deers about to leap out in front of the car .

The price for these is pretty steep, but the increased visibility makes them <u>very</u> worth it IMHO. In the Pac NW, where the roads are wet all the damn time, night driving will be much more comfortable.

I apologize for the quality. It's just a 1.2 megapixel Fujifilm that doesn't like night pics so well. Also, with the flash off, I can't hold my hands steady for anything. But anyway, you can get a decent idea of the color:

With the flash:

Bear with me here. This is with the fogs off. I know it's terribly blurry...:

Here's with the fogs on. You can see objects in front of the car are lit up much more, and you can barely see the light going off to the side. I'm sure if I had spent time taking the pictures, and the pavement wasn't so wet, you'd be able to see the light better

EDITED: Looking at the pics again...ugh. These suck. Sorry guys

[Modified by delsolguy, 12:22 AM 1/5/2003]
Old 01-04-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sylvania Xenarc HID fogs part deux (delsolguy)

Thanks for the good info..I have been considering picking up a set of those since they came out
Old 01-04-2003, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Sylvania Xenarc HID fogs part deux (Halo)

Thanks for the good info..I have been considering picking up a set of those since they came out
Yeah, I didn't want this to be like a "Hey check out my new fogs!" kinda thing. I know not everyone wants to drop $$$ for a set of lights, and I was hoping to add to and back up the info that SCC made available.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice review man. I especially loved the last two pics, funny stuff...but you get an "A" for effort.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:22 PM
New User

Default Re: Sylvania Xenarc HID fogs part deux (piscorpio)

Nice review man. I especially loved the last two pics, funny stuff...but you get an "A" for effort.
What he said
Old 01-04-2003, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

From the sounds of the review I would like to check these out, if only I could get the pictures up. Looks as if I am just placing my mark on here and checking it out when I get to work tomorrow.

Review:

Pictures: pending
Old 01-04-2003, 11:46 PM

Sweet Review - Im looking into fog lights also becuase the previous owner of my car had some little PIAA ones mounted in my grille so i was considering getting replacements or else OEM ones for the side grilles..

yours look great - how hard was the install??

look good from what I can see in those pics
Old 01-04-2003, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Sylvania Xenarc HID fogs part deux (SHAUNTS99)

Nice
Old 01-05-2003, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sylvania Xenarc HID fogs part deux (CzanSOHC)

i saw the pics in scc and was amazed how much those fog lights help!! i think im going to go with the same light set-up they did, sylvania bulbs and HID fogs
Old 01-05-2003, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Sylvania Xenarc HID fogs part deux (dmotoguy)

I wish they had some nice HID headlights to match with them. (Ones that focus properly )
Old 01-05-2003, 10:21 AM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad they're so big you have to cut out a part of the grill. That's the only thing stopping me from wanting a set; although my grill is black so it wouldn't really be noticeable I suppose.

And.. They're Driving lights, not fog lights, correct?
Old 01-05-2003, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Sylvania Xenarc HID fogs part deux (SkyeC)

Hatch_92: The install wasn't bad at all. Ran into a few snags but nothing like I was expecting. All the wiring is plug-and-play. It was 10x easier to hook up these lights than it is to wire up a stereo. The instructions are great. Clear and comprehensive, and includes detailed aiming instructions too. The only thing is I had to cut my bumper. For me, that wasn't too big of a deal...but I know for some people it might be a hang up, which is certainly understandable.

piscorpio: I know what you mean about a decent HID headlight kit. I think one would have to come with a new housing, however, if one had any hope of getting non-glaring light. I've seen a couple Hondas with retrofitted HIDs in their stock housings, and the light is horrible. Not only does it blind oncoming traffic, the usable light that most of them throw on the road is nothing compared to even stock headlights. I imagine that switching to a project light would help...seems the DC2 Tegs have better luck than the bulbous headlights of the Civic/del Sol.

SkyeC: I can understand about not wanting to cut your bumper. I bought these before the SCC article came out, and when I first test-fitted them, I knew immediately that I'd have to do some cosmetic surgery to my bumper.

Believe me, I tried to find a way to mount them that wouldn't require cutting, but on my car there was just no way (unless I mounted them on the very bottom of the bumper, which would've been idiotic). A decent idea for those more ambitious than I am would possibly be this: Cut out the entire front of the bumper, than place flat black grille or mesh in front of the fogs. Your bumper would still be butchered, but at least it would be much less noticeable. I don't think mine got that bad, and it was a twenty minute hack job. I could send you a picture or post it if you would like.

And Sylvania calls these an "auxiliary low beam kit." I can't really tell whether they're supposed to be fogs or driving lights. My guess is fogs because 1). I drove through a large patch of fog last night and they worked superbly and 2). the light shoots off so much to the sides. I wasn't aware that driving lights did that. But then, I'm only comparing these to a set of PIAA fogs that I had two years ago, so...
Old 01-05-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty sure you are supposed to keep them on all they time with your headlights also...
Old 01-05-2003, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Sylvania Xenarc HID fogs part deux (dmotoguy)

im pretty sure you are supposed to keep them on all they time with your headlights also...
Yes, you're right about that. Supposed to turn them off when the high beams are on though. But what's the fun in that?
Old 01-13-2003, 05:49 AM

must suck to be in WA with that front plate ,i have a german front plate on now