Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Switching From D over to B-series

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching From D over to B-series

Im doing a jdm b18c swap in my 00CIVICEXCOUPE. jdm gsr block and jdm type r head. My question is will my stock ex engine harness OBD2B fit on that motor? I have everything plugged in but there are still some leftover plugs so does it matter if some are not plugged in? The motor is just sitting on my garage floor right now with the engine harness on. Anyone who is good with these things let me know because this is my first time doing a B-swap.
One more thing is I want opinion from all you guys which ecu i should run. Either the P73 OBD2A ecu or Phearable's P28 Chipped Ecu? I have the money for it I just want to know what will be better to run my new B-series Motor.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Switching From D over to B-series

can't help much with the wiring on obd2 and so forth. but i imagine they have a place somewhere.

as for the ecu though run the p73. then get that tuned.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what color are the plugs that arent pluged in?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a chipped P28- Hondata S300, there is no limit as to what you can do with it. As for the wiring harness, every thing should plug in fine. The extra plugs go to other things in the engine bay.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by bunnyx
Im doing a jdm b18c swap in my 00CIVICEXCOUPE. jdm gsr block and jdm type r head. My question is will my stock ex engine harness OBD2B fit on that motor? I have everything plugged in but there are still some leftover plugs so does it matter if some are not plugged in? The motor is just sitting on my garage floor right now with the engine harness on. Anyone who is good with these things let me know because this is my first time doing a B-swap.
One more thing is I want opinion from all you guys which ecu i should run. Either the P73 OBD2A ecu or Phearable's P28 Chipped Ecu? I have the money for it I just want to know what will be better to run my new B-series Motor.
What's better depends on your budget and goals. If you don't have the budget for tuning, or don't have any reason to tune, then get the right ECU to start with. If you get the P28, you really should still have it tuned. If you're at all concerned about passing emissions inspections, your ECU needs to be the correct OBD level for the car.

You are missing something... the harness should work, and I don't *think* there should be anything left over. At least, I don't remember anything left over on my 00EX swap. I know for a fact there are a few things that you'll need to lengthen, like the evap purge, the vtec solenoid (I think), the fuel return line, and and a few other things.

I also KNOW that I had to swap the distributor plug on mine with an Integra plug. The dizzy plugs on 99-00 EXs are completely different from almost everything else. Have you dealt with that yet?
Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know for sure how it works on OBD-2 swaps but my 95 ex harness plugged right into my OBD-1 JDM B16 with one or two plugs left over.. basically the JDM motors dont have as many sensors as the usdm motors..
Old 05-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bunnyx
yeah the one dude is right some plugs that are left over are fine just hanging there, and i agrre you should just getta oem ecu, besides do you know how its chipped, rev limiter, when vtec engages, fuel maping on the low end or on the high end at the end of the power band? having some chipped ecu may not run the motor correctly without having hondata so if you know for a fact for a long time your not gonna build this motor or even bolt ons then as i said just run a oem ecu
Old 05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok everything plugs in except the one plug with the injector plugs. There are 4 injector plugs fits perfectly but there is also one 2 pin(the rectangular type i think the clip is black and inside is blue just like the injector plugs) that is still left over that used to plug to that module thing that says "Denso somthing" sorry i dont know what that is called. I have one of those module thing that comes with the type r motor too that the extra plug matches but the weird thing is that it doesnt have anywhere to mount it and it has 2 hoses, I know 1 of the hose connects to the drain bottle that is on the firewall behind the tranny and 1 is suppose to connect on the intake manifold. On the p73 intake manifold all the nipples for the hoses are all already taken so it has no where to plug in unlike the d16y8 intake manifold it has a place to plug the hose. Ok so the problem is now i have an extra hose just hanging from the Denso module thing and since the extra plug that was with the fuel injector plugs is plugged in, On the p73 intake manifold it has an extra 2 pin sensor(the rounded type that looks like the one on the vtec soleniod) that sits right above the fuel rail is being left empty(just plain black). Arghhh this is too confusing trying to explain... it would probably be easier if i know how to upload pictures on here. well sorry i just got back from work and my headache is killin right now so i will get you guys updated tomorrow on the color of plugs
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whatever ecu you run determines what plugs you need. if your going to use an obd1 ecu then it wont look for as many sensors as the obd2's. find out what ecu your going to use and what sensors it doesnt look for, then find out what sensors arent connected then go from there. if your going to use a chipped ecu you wont need to wire in the knock sensor because you can have it removed from the ecu's (chipped) brain. just make sure that all the sensors the ecu your using are plugged/wired in.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the problem with chipped ecu's is that if they werent done perfect they would burn out in the future.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you use the P73 ECU, you will throw some codes and your car wil run crappy cuz JDM motors do not have all the sensors that USDM ones do. if you run a JDM ECU, you will be golden.

if you run a USDM one, you will have to bypass the knock sensor and oil pressure sensor or something. (someone correct me if im wrong)

*the empty sensor on your intake manifold sounds like your IAT sensor. (if its on the face of the manifold.

**you should post pics dude.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt bypass either of those and im still running down trans ams! (yes the ws6 t.a's)
Old 05-04-2010, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^you are running a JDM BLOCK on a USDM ECU? which ECU and what OBD?
isn't the knock sensor super important? did u wire it in?
Old 05-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i didnt wire it up the plug on the harness is just hanging their, im running a B20B with a usdm pr4
Old 05-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ I haven't had time to read what others posted so I apologize if I repeated anything said.

To make it simple, you always use your original car harness. In your case if its a Jdm motor, its likely that you will have left over plugs such as evap purge solenoid and other emissions related plugs. Why? because JDM motors don't require such emission sensors like the USDM motors do.

Don't run the p73 obd2a ecu because its hard finding a conversion harness from Obd2b===> Obd2a. They just don't make it for those type of swaps. Go obd2b==> obd1 with the p28 from phearable. It also bypasses the secondary o2 sensor for your cat.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b20hatchek
no i didnt wire it up the plug on the harness is just hanging their, im running a B20B with a usdm pr4
THERE WE GO. that explains it lol. your block is NON-VTEC. case closed thanks dude.
VTEC motors have knock sensors, and Non-VTEC don't. :D
and wow B20B sweeeeeeet.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think jhpusa has that conversion harness and rywire (i think)
Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by -__-
THERE WE GO. that explains it lol. your block is NON-VTEC. case closed thanks dude.
VTEC motors have knock sensors, and Non-VTEC don't. :D
and wow B20B sweeeeeeet.
yeah its not bad, its the only motor i buy, and i mite have a stroker kit for it to go up to a 2.2 soon and then slap a vtec head on it
Old 05-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by -__-
if you use the P73 ECU, you will throw some codes and your car wil run crappy cuz JDM motors do not have all the sensors that USDM ones do. if you run a JDM ECU, you will be golden.

if you run a USDM one, you will have to bypass the knock sensor and oil pressure sensor or something. (someone correct me if im wrong)

*the empty sensor on your intake manifold sounds like your IAT sensor. (if its on the face of the manifold.

**you should post pics dude.
sorry i would post pics if i knew how to. yes the empty sensor is on the face of the p73 intake manifold. none of my plugs reach there so is it ok to just leave it empty(probably a bad idea) but just a question. does anyone know the wire color for the iat sensor? i would probably have to rewire it there to plug it in but i just cant remember which plug it was.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b20hatchek
i think jhpusa has that conversion harness and rywire (i think)
rywire has the ecu jumper harness for $135 and ebay has it for $90. I know about the jumper harness already thats why i was wondering about the p28 maybe its a better route for now because i can tune my car and have that option for future plans. i will probably post the p73 ecu on ebay somtime whenever i make a final decision.