Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sway bars on my dx?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sway bars on my dx?

so i was recently enlightened to the fact that my 94 dx civic has no sway bars front or rear. is there holes on the chasis for the sway bar mounts already? im under the impression that i would need different lower control arms (ex/si/integra?) is that tru? is there a write-up somewhere here i didnt find? can someone help me out here cuz body roll sucks
Old 10-12-2009, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sway bars on my dx?

well what yr is ur civic? sway bars? just get lower rear tie bar and front lower tie bar if u really want it. its not really much of an improvement to be real about it unless ur suspenion is complete as in lowered an stuff, it will prevent a lil body roll but not much
Old 10-12-2009, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^

You know a lower tie bar does pretty much nothing right?
Youre right about sway bars making a bigger impact with other suspension parts upgraded; but to recommend a lower tie bar over sway bars.... Lets do some research.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

207prelude what suspension mods do you have on your car?
How performance oriented are you with your car?
Comfort over performance percormance over looks or what
Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shoklid
well what yr is ur civic? sway bars? just get lower rear tie bar and front lower tie bar if u really want it. its not really much of an improvement to be real about it unless ur suspenion is complete as in lowered an stuff, it will prevent a lil body roll but not much
This guy has no idea what he's talking about. Don't listen to him.

More than likely your front LCA's will need to be swaped out with LCA's from a car that has a front swaybar. I'm not familiar with an EG chassis as I am with an EK, but with my car, I would have to swap out my LCA's if I wanted a front sway bar. As for the rears, just check to see if you have a mounting hole in the LCA's. My EK came with them, so I can run stock LCA's and use a swaybar.

Depending on the size of rear swaybar you're going to run, you may need to get something like the ASR subframe brace to prevent a catastrophic tear out.

To finish, strut bars and lower tie bars do little if nothing to help with handling. They're more of a "bling" factor. A sway bar will show dramatic improvement with handling. Just get used to the car before you really start to push it. If you get a large rear sway bar, compared to a small or no front sway bar, be prepared for lift off oversteer. This can cause you to spin out easily if you aren't sure how to trail brake.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I put front and rear sway bars on my 92 DX hatch and can say for sure that you will need Integra LCAs for the front and back. Also, the 4-door 92-95 models have rear and front sway bars, so you could get the LCAs from them one them as well.

2X what jdmztrane says...be careful after doing an upgrade like this...it's like driving a different car and it will take some getting used to. I've gotten lots of parts for my EG from people off Craigslist parting out cars that they had upgraded brakes/motor/suspension, etc and got on their rides without learning how to control them. :/

fm
Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as of right now the suspension is stock. i only purchased the car 2 months ago as a daily driver. i never expected to have this much body roll. i believe myself to be a real "driver" so i am more concerned in function over anything else. i have some tein springs to install im just hesitant because of winter coming and as i said this is my daily. my plan was to buy some integra sway bars from a part out and install them just to get some better handleing cuz i think it sucks as it is now.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 207prelude
as of right now the suspension is stock. i only purchased the car 2 months ago as a daily driver. i never expected to have this much body roll. i believe myself to be a real "driver" so i am more concerned in function over anything else. i have some tein springs to install im just hesitant because of winter coming and as i said this is my daily. my plan was to buy some integra sway bars from a part out and install them just to get some better handleing cuz i think it sucks as it is now.
http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/ho...formation.html
Old 10-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot. looks like a good read and im gonna get on it now but i have an eg.