Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sway Bar Question

Old 10-25-2003, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar Question

Just finished installing rear discs off a 00' Si on my 00' Ex. Now I am looking for a rear sway bar. Which would be the best OEM or aftermarket one to use? I was gonna buy a GSR sway off my buddy, but I am not positiove if it will fit. Any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2003, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Sway Bar Question (Secret Squirrel)

Need Help ASAP!
Old 10-25-2003, 01:51 PM

if u would give a price range of how much u wanna spend it would be helpful... but the ones that own are:

Comptech, or Suspension Techniques
Old 10-30-2003, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sway Bar Question (Navid OG)

up – I'm interested in the same thing. I was thinking about the 00-99 Si sway bar (13 mm, I think). However, is that too small? Would I be happier with 14 or 15?
Old 10-30-2003, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sway Bar Question (Sushiboy)

You would be happier with a 22mm bar. Get a Type R bar with a Beaks kit. You won't be disappointed.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Sway Bar Question (96 SOHC VTEC)

ITR rear bar best bang for you buck i have it on my car and i love it the back of the car stays flat.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Sway Bar Question (96 SOHC VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 SOHC VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You would be happier with a 22mm bar. Get a Type R bar with a Beaks kit. You won't be disappointed. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dont forget about the beaks kit....u'll need it
Old 10-30-2003, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sway Bar Question (Navid OG)

beaks kit hand down

EK "Quick-Swap" Anti-Sway Bar Kit
Upgrading to a larger diameter rear anti-sway bar for '99-'00 Civic Si owners has never been easier! The Beaks Products EK "Quick-Swap" kit comes with all necessary hardware, including O.E. Honda anti-sway bar, Prothane bushings & brackets, and the proven Beaks SRK-EK; there are no additional parts to purchase.

http://www.beaksproducts.com/main.html
Old 10-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sway Bar Question (cre18)

I put an SI rear sway on my 98ex which has a 22mm front stock bar. I'm content with it for daily driving, but I still have noticeable understeer. When it comes to sway bars, contrary to popular belief, bigger is not better. I believe that a 22mm rear bar is too big on a daily driver. A swaybar is one of the last items that you should add to tune your suspension. If you are on stock shocks/springs, then upgrade those first. If you already have upgraded shocks/springs, then a swaybar would be the next step. I'm looking at the 18mm rear mugen bar. It looks like a good size for a daily driver. It is a little pricey, but it comes with chassis reinforcement plates.

Anyways, if you can get the SI rear bar for cheap, then go for it. It will give you a better feel for what size bar you really want in the long run. You can always sell the SI bar when you are done with it. I got mine for about $50 from a salvage yard. It was worth every penny.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:25 AM

I don't understand why all these people run such a big front sway bar?

kommon_sense; wouldn't you be better off taking off that huge front sway bar?

What is the best combo for an EG? A 22mm in rear with what up front?

If you go with a 26mm and a a front bar (a little bigger than the front you use with the 22mm rear) would it handle better than the 22mm rear?

That is confusing.. might take a couple of tries to read it.

Old 10-30-2003, 11:39 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (s7e)

A good combination for negating understeer altogether without inducing a lot of oversteer would be some adjustable shocks with the rears set to really firm and the fronts to softer, no front sway and a moderate rear sway (18mm). Nice and balanced, but not too loose.

I prefer the capacity for a lot of oversteer, so this is my deal: As of right now I've got an EH3 si hatch, with the factory front sway, KYB AGX's set at 1-front 4-rear, Tein S-Tech springs, D2 rear LCAs with urethane bushings and a rear lower tiebar. It's perfectly balanced in the corners when you induce a little oversteer (hyperextend the turning on purpose, just a tad).

I plan on throwwing an SRR rear sway/tiebar combo on it in the near future.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Secret Squirrel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just finished installing rear discs off a 00' Si on my 00' Ex. Now I am looking for a rear sway bar. Which would be the best OEM or aftermarket one to use? I was gonna buy a GSR sway off my buddy, but I am not positiove if it will fit. Any suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Civic Si front sway bar, 26mm
ITR rear sway bar, 22mm

Keeps the EK relatively neutral. Good ish!
Old 10-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: Sway Bar Question (Fowler)

Go Comptech.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Sway Bar Question (SkyeC)

i think the SRR is nice. Its high quality and very resonable.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sway Bar Question (viprcr1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by viprcr1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think the SRR is nice. Its high quality and very resonable.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's tiny though... and brightly colored. To me, it's a waste of money when you can get an bar of the same size of bigger for less money.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run ST sway bars with H&Rs and tokicko adjustable shocks with strut bars and other crap and I love it! very neutral for street and great for my week end warrior track and autoX days (also is daily driven- for the guy who keeps saying big sway bars are not for daily driven cars....what about an ITR or CTR?)
Old 10-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITRacer121)

i have gsr brakes front and rear what is needed to make gsr front and rear sway bars fit? on the rear i have read that a beaks kit is a must, but what about on the front? do u need a beaks kit on the front too?
Old 10-30-2003, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sway Bar Question (cre18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cre18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">beaks kit hand down

EK "Quick-Swap" Anti-Sway Bar Kit
Upgrading to a larger diameter rear anti-sway bar for '99-'00 Civic Si owners has never been easier! The Beaks Products EK "Quick-Swap" kit comes with all necessary hardware, including O.E. Honda anti-sway bar, Prothane bushings & brackets, and the proven Beaks SRK-EK; there are no additional parts to purchase.

http://www.beaksproducts.com/main.html</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best way to go IMO
I use it on my hatch
Old 10-30-2003, 01:15 PM

Just don't go Mugen. Unless of course you want to be like me and have part of your cross memeber snapped off.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MugenEM1Gurl)

Did you use Mugen's reinforcement kit?
Old 10-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fowler)

are there any options for a good sway bar setup on my 92 cx?....i mean i'm sure there are, but what are some of them? i'm poor too fyi
Old 10-30-2003, 02:10 PM
a/k/a Jomo

Default Re: (thehatchninja)

JDM ITR 23mm bar

Beak's Kit.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:21 PM
New User

Default Re: (Mr Milano)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=662993

i think a gsr bar is the best bang for the buck. i only paid 15 bucks for this thing.
yes the itr bar is the best BANG but imo not best bang for the buck. anyways im gonna upgrade this 14mm bar with an itr as soon as i find a good seller. your answer to the question "will it fit?" yes it will. check out the pics.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MugenEM1Gurl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MugenEM1Gurl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just don't go Mugen. Unless of course you want to be like me and have part of your cross memeber snapped off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Mugen make a wide assortment or rear bars ranging from 17mm up to 24 or 26mm. I am looking at the 18mm bar. Also, all mugen bars come with a rear chassis reinforcement similar to the beaks kit. Lastly, people like to buy large rear bars and run very soft spring rates. This is a big contributor to ripping out your subframe.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (s7e)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s7e &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't understand why all these people run such a big front sway bar?

kommon_sense; wouldn't you be better off taking off that huge front sway bar?

What is the best combo for an EG? A 22mm in rear with what up front?

If you go with a 26mm and a a front bar (a little bigger than the front you use with the 22mm rear) would it handle better than the 22mm rear?

That is confusing.. might take a couple of tries to read it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

considering that the civ has a 60/40 weight distribution, 22mm front isn't big at all. I don't think that you can find a smaller front bar. Also, last thing that I want is to drive around with no front at all. It isn't all about oversteer/understeer. The sway bar is more correctly called an "ANTI-ROLL" bar. Take it off and you will feel like your front is going to roll completely over in a corner. Only way to combat that is with REALLY stiff springs which might work great in the curves, but make for an unpleasant ride in a straight line. Sway/anti-roll bars are a good way to get good cornering while maintaining reasonable straight line driving/comfort...

Also, no front with a rear sway (especially a big rear sway) is a bad move in a street car. If you want to run that on the track, great, have fun, but not on the street.

like I said, bigger rear isn't always better, and smaller front isn't always better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sway Bar Question