Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sway bar + general suspension set up questions for 92 civic hatch

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar + general suspension set up questions for 92 civic hatch

After searching and going through about 300-400 complete posts this morning I still have the following questions regarding the suspension set up for my car:

My car: 92 Civic DX Hatchback (w/GSR brakes if it matters)

My first question is with regards to a front sway bar. I believe my car doesnt have any sway bars, so basically my LCAs cant accept sway bars. What I'd like to know is which sway bars I can get for the front. Id prefer at least a 25mm front sway bar. I believe an ITR has a 26mm front sway bar, and so does a 99-00 Si. Can either one of these be installed on my car with the appropriate components?

My second question pertains to LCAs and how they affect which springs, shocks, or coilovers I can get. I am going to get the Beaks Quick Swap kit which includes the 22m ITR rear sway bar. To install this on my car I will need to get ITR LCAs. What I want to know is that with these LCAs, would I still be able to use say the Tein Flex set up designed for my EH2 chassis civic? Same thing would probably apply to the front for me. Since I'd be getting LCAs that are different than the ones that came on my 92 civic, would I still be able to use the Tein Flexs made for my car?

I'm just trying to properly plan which parts to get so I don't end up getting wrong parts and wasting money. Contrary to what I said in a recent post, here is the suspension set up I have in mind right now. If anyone can give me positive and constructive advice or input on this set up, I'd truly appreciate it. The setup I have in mind is:

- Tein Flex Coilovers
- ITR or 99-00 Civic Si 26mm front sway bar
- ITR 22mm rear sway bar with Beaks kit
- Spoon front upper and lower strut tie bars
- Spoon rear upper and lower strut tie bars

Thanks in advance, once again, for any help you can give.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:14 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Sway bar + general suspension set up questions for 92 civic hatch (BNavZ)

you don't have to get ITR LCAs if you want an ITR rear sway bar and Tein Type Flex. just get the LCA from a 94+ Integra LS/GSR, 92-95 civic EX/SI, 93-97 del sol SI/VTEC and you'll be able to run the ITR sway bar. if you get ITR LCA's you will have to get the coilovers in the rear for an ITR, because ITR LCAs are totally different.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Sway bar + general suspension set up questions for 92 civic hatch (AzntaggeR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you don't have to get ITR LCAs if you want an ITR rear sway bar and Tein Type Flex. just get the LCA from a 94+ Integra LS/GSR, 92-95 civic EX/SI, 93-97 del sol SI/VTEC and you'll be able to run the ITR sway bar. if you get ITR LCA's you will have to get the coilovers in the rear for an ITR, because ITR LCAs are totally different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So say if I get LS/GSR LCAs or del sol Si/VTEC LCAs...I'd still be able to get the Tein Flex made for my 92 civic?
Old 02-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Sway bar + general suspension set up questions for 92 civic hatch (AzntaggeR)

Yes, the 92-95 Civic can share rear shocks with the 94-01 Teg minus ITR.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzntaggeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you don't have to get ITR LCAs if you want an ITR rear sway bar and Tein Type Flex. just get the LCA from a 94+ Integra LS/GSR, 92-95 civic EX/SI, 93-97 del sol SI/VTEC and you'll be able to run the ITR sway bar. if you get ITR LCA's you will have to get the coilovers in the rear for an ITR, because ITR LCAs are totally different.</TD></TR></TABLE>

92-95 Si's DO NOT have rear sways.....ONLY the 92-95 EX sedan has a rear sway in that year Civic.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:49 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: Sway bar + general suspension set up questions for 92 civic hatch (Emerika)

they don't? my mistake. my friend put a rear sway bar on his 93 si so i figured since it's the top model hatchback it probably came stock with it.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:24 AM

Ok so that takes care of the rear sway bar and Tein Flex set up...Thanks a lot for the info

Now for the front if I get 94+ LS/GSR LCAs, can I still install the 26mm ITR front sway bar? If not, what other choices of 25mm or 26mm sway bar will I have (are there any aftermarket ones I could get)?
Old 02-18-2004, 11:33 AM

ITR is 26mm? I thought it was 24mm. I just bought a 26mm front bar off a EJ/EK Civic for my EG. I have GSR LCAs with a GSR front sway right now.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Re: (B18CBungy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CBungy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ITR is 26mm? I thought it was 24mm. I just bought a 26mm front bar off a EJ/EK Civic for my EG. I have GSR LCAs with a GSR front sway right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I might be mistaken...I thought I saw it as being 26mm...alright well in that case 99-00 Si sway bar it is. Will that 26mm Civic sway bar fit directly into your setup with the GSR front LCA's, or will you have to modify the endlinks or something of the sort?
Old 02-18-2004, 12:52 PM

I'm not sure. The endlinks do look different than the ones on the GSR bar. Once I get to installing it, I'll let you know.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CBungy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure. The endlinks do look different than the ones on the GSR bar. Once I get to installing it, I'll let you know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks a lot man, I'd really appreciate it if you could. I just cant rest easy not having set plans. I like to plan everything as much as possible, and thats why I'm really annoyed when I dont know what to get or what I can get. So I really would appreciate it if you could let me know how the installation goes whenever you do it.

In the mean time, is there anyone else who has already done this? Just trying to get some more information about this 99-00 Si front sway bar installation on a 92-95 civic with 94+ LS/GSR LCAs.

Any comments or input about the complete suspension set up I have planned?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:11 PM

Looks like you'll have a very good setup. Are the Teins adjustable as far as rebound and/or compression? That's one of the things I like about my AGX/Ground Control setup. It's not that I constantly adjust my settings and height but I've set it to how I like the ride to be and leave it there.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:19 PM

You can buy a suspension techniques front sway bar for your car and use your stock LCA's. The sway bar kit comes with brackets that clamp to your LCA's.

Just a question though. . .why do you want such a large front sway bar? What are you planning to do with the car? What are the spring rates on your teins? Sometimes I want to put a front swaybar on my car, to crispen up the steering, but I wouldnt want anything close to 26mm. In fact, I would want to find something smaller than the stock eg ex/si bar, which is 21mm. IMO, 26mm is just going to exagerate understeer, especially with the "jdm" spring rates on those flexes.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (743)

I agree. If you have decent spring rates, you don't need a 26mm front bar. I have the GSR 24mm front bar, LCAs and brakes (same as LS, only the swaybar is different.). On the rear I have GSR/LS brakes and LCAs, with a Whiteline Australia 24mm adjustable rear bar. The rear bar is the one you want to be heavy duty and adjustable. That brand of bar comes with urethane end links and mounting bushings, heavy duty mounting brackets with an optional lower tie bar. I also recommend the Suspension Techniques or Comptech kit, but both cost a great deal more and are no better quality than the Whiteline. I'm not particularly impressed with the Beaks kit.

If you want the front bar stiffer than 24mm, just get the 24 and get some good end links and urethane bushings. Do you have a H22 or something? Get stiffer springs, increase the negative camber up front, and add caster with an aftermarket kit or washers between the two halves of the front LCAs. Reducing weight will reduce the need for swaybars, and increasing negative camber will combat the effect of alignment change during hard cornering.

The front end links between the Civic/Del Sol and Integra are different. Look up the diagrams on Majestic Honda or other dealership.

Whether you have Civic or Integra LCAs wont effect the coilovers since the mounting is the same. In fact, the only difference is the rear has a threaded hole and the fronts have a little loop added to them.

You will be understeering with that suspension setup. But it will be stable and it will handle well. I would prefer a stiffer rear bar to match a 26mm front to make the car more neutral.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:49 AM

Default Re: (shaundrake)

My plan for the car is just to have a very tight handling car for the street, thats why im not as worried about understeer as I would be about oversteer. I'm just so frustrated with my cars handling right now...I guess thats what I get for GC adjustable springs on stock shocks...

I doubt I'll ever auto-x or anything of the sort. The only reason I'm stressing on this sway bar set up is that I drove a civic hatch like mine a while back and I absolutely loved the way the car handled. I remember the guy telling me that he had a 25mm front sway bar and a 21mm in the back. That's why I'm trying to do something similar to my car. And no I don't have an H22, I just have a JDM ITR...

I think I might just try getting a 24mm front sway bar and see how that works out and then change it later if I want...B18CBungy...I'd really apprecaite it if you could also let me know what you think about the 26mm front bar in terms of handling and drive once you have it installed...

Thanks again, everyone, for all of your input...
Old 02-19-2004, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BNavZ)

You sound like me bro..

Right now I have GSR/LS brakes all the way around on my 92 hatch....I'm running the GSR 24mm front sway with just 1/2 of the gsr front lca's, the portion with the "loop" for the endlink. This GSR front bar as those funky balljoint endlinks...and has OEM bushings. In the Rear I'm running a progress 22mm sway that attaches a bit diff that the traditional bar. I'll post a pic in a bit....

I love this sway bar set up...feel pretty good...I also have Tein SS (teg rates), my rear end is all SRR, with stock TA bushings, and ITR rear Strut Bar, and front EK strut bar. My car feels great, my vote is to get 24mm front and 22 rear....its perfect....

NOte: also check your tie rods, that will create sloppy steering...
Old 02-19-2004, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (SloCivicHMM)

You are definately on the right path with swaybars. Swaybars make a huge difference on a street car. The do for handling what I/H/E does for power. But start with some struts since you're riding on stock. Struts are absolutely the most important component for handling. They're what's putting your tires on the road.

Don't worry, you're not going to make the car oversteer w/out choosing custom spring rates with that intention. You would enjoy neutral handling on the street, trust me.

Here's my suspension setup:

93 DX hatch
Tokico R coilovers for street
set to 2 on front, 3 on back for quick turn in
upper spring perch spacers for strut travel
1.75 inch drop, no camber kit
12 lb rota slipstreams
Kumho 711s for street

Front:
GSR/LS hubs
GSR 24mm swaybar
Prothane swaybar bushings
Whiteline caster kit
-1.7 camber
fresh tie rods and ball joints
Neuspeed upper strut brace
(lower brace coming soon, probably Cusco)
(plans for a jimfab traction bar once I get some power)

Rear
GSR/LS hubs
Whiteline adjustable 24mm swaybar
Whiteline lower tie bar
-1.5 camber
Skunk2 upper strut brace
Prothane rear main trailing arm bushings

Toe is zero for street

I always forget to mention a couple of mods.

A lot of attention has been paid to weight, although street comfort is of a higher priority due to the long hours I spend in my car. So the interior is intact, however, everything from the engine to the stereo system was chosen with weight being a major deciding factor. There are no rear speakers. Its a D series with plans of turbo. Windshield squirter system removed, rear wiper removed, hood latch system removed, CF hood (not by choice, I got in an accident), large useless bracket under the steering column removed, rear of hatch gutted, etc etc. My lady wont let me pull the AC but believe me, I'd pull it so fast. I've been slow in choosing a seat, but I'll probably get a lightweight Momo non adjustable seat. Also an Autopower roll bar in the future, w/out gutting the interior.

My car is a joy to drive on the street. The tires have unbelievable grip and they're just 711s!!! Body roll is minimal. Most people that aren't used to it think there is NO body roll. I like to have a little bit as long as it's predictable so that I can feel the weight shift as I'm throwing the car around. The ride comfort is comparable to stock.

Your car will handle good with your planned setup, but I think its worth it, since its not more costly or difficult, to tune the suspension to be neutral.