Sway bar end links - Honda Civic EK3 (1996) - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sway bar end links - Honda Civic EK3 (1996)

Old 02-13-2019, 04:38 PM
Trial User

Icon5 Sway bar end links - Honda Civic EK3 (1996)

Hi.
I have a Honda Civic EK3 Sedan from 1996 and I was told recently that the sway bar end links are kinda loose. I notice a bit of noise when I'm driving on bumpy roads.
I have checked some videos on youtube on how to replace sway bar end links however I would like to get your opinion about the best way to do it. Which is the best OEM brand for this? The car should be jacked up or not? End links need to be greased?
Thank you.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sway bar end links - Honda Civic EK3 (1996)

They are very simple to replace. You will have to jack up the car and remove the wheel. Then remove whatever is left of the old link and install a new one. You will probably need to jack under the control arm to get it close enough to the sway bar to put the link on. Repeat on the other side.

Grease is not used here. They use rubber bushings to prevent metal on metal contact. It sounds like the rubber in yours has deteriorated and now allows metal on metal contact. There are "performance" versions with harder rubber for slightly more sway control.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:14 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Sway bar end links - Honda Civic EK3 (1996)

Originally Posted by mk378 View Post
They are very simple to replace. You will have to jack up the car and remove the wheel. Then remove whatever is left of the old link and install a new one. You will probably need to jack under the control arm to get it close enough to the sway bar to put the link on. Repeat on the other side.

Grease is not used here. They use rubber bushings to prevent metal on metal contact. It sounds like the rubber in yours has deteriorated and now allows metal on metal contact. There are "performance" versions with harder rubber for slightly more sway control.
Thank you, mk378.
I've read somewhere that to do this right it should be done with the car on the floor to create some tension and to be properly tighten. Is this a myth?
Also, do you recommend any OEM brand for this in specific?
Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: