Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

swapping out headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 06:47 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapping out headers

My girlfriend has a 1998 civic with cracked headers. The headers cracked as a result of busted motormounts. We're planning doing this job ourselves.

I'm surely oversimplifying this, but what do we need to order, parts-wise? Are all the gaskets going to be included with the headers? How many motor mounts are there?

I think we will get the performance headers just because they are cheaper, but she doesn't need anything fancy at all, in fact, the cheaper the better.

Recommended places to get headers and motor mounts?

Anybody know of a step by step guide, other than a chiltons?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:50 AM
New User

Default Re: swapping out headers

its a DX model.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have headers if anything you have a header. there's only 1 and sounds more like you have a manifold. just remove heatshield's and then remove 12mm nut's on top and 14mm nut's at the bottom + the support brace.there are 4 main mount's and two other suport mount's at the botom motor mount's don't usally cause these to crack as it moves with the motor. maybe have a mechanic check it for you
Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ebay for the header (it should come with all the neccessary gaskets) and check the marketplace on here for someone parting a car out and get some used mounts from them - i think you could get everything you need for less that $150

the header is simple.. remove the heat shield if it has one then remove all the bolts holding the header to the block and remove the two bolts holding the header to the catalytic converter then installation is the opposite of removal

motor mounts are a little more tricky you need to use a jack to keep the engine level so when you remove the old busted mount it doesnt drop down making it impossible to install the new one.. id get a jack and a piece of wood and get the motor supported then remove the mounts and replace them one at a time
Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

a few pics would help. try to get some pics up of the current exhaust and motor mounts.

generally speaking, you have five mounts. in the pic below, upper trans. [#2], center rear [#3], driver side [#5], left [#9] and right [#8] torque mounts.

if the torque mounts are the only ones broken... i would worry about replacing them. they still do the job fine that way...

i'm assuming this is what your manifold looks like?

is it cracked where it [#8] threads in?

you won't find a direct replacement aftermarket header for this application. this is because the catalytic converter is built into the manifold.

the best way around this is to swap the complete exhaust system for the D16Y8 VTEC fitment. this will include buying a new cat. converter and mid-pipe. you'll also need to un-loom and/or extend the O2 sensor wires. it sounds involved, but it's not so bad. it's less work than replacing all of those mounts!
Old 01-19-2010, 09:43 AM
New User

Thanks HondaMark.

The crack is on the right side if you are looking into the bay (closest to drivers side) just after the two smaller pipes coming into one - about 3 inches up the pipe on the right after the O2 sensor plug. The pipe is entirely separated.

If I recall correctly, the obviously busted mount is #5 (though it could be #2). Is it necessary (or recommended) to replace all motor mounts at the same time?

I'll try to get some pics up tonight.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 AM
New User

Originally Posted by canadaek
You don't have headers if anything you have a header. there's only 1 and sounds more like you have a manifold.
Sorry, I'll try and speak slower for you in the next post.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by justinhampton81
Thanks HondaMark.
If I recall correctly, the obviously busted mount is #5 (though it could be #2). Is it necessary (or recommended) to replace all motor mounts at the same time?
oh, not neccesary! just replace the broken one.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justinhampton81
Sorry, I'll try and speak slower for you in the next post.
Maybe you should type slower also . some jdm importers have the cat-manifolds also.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get the header off ebay for like 50 bucks. should come with the gaskets, when i changed mine i had a metal gasket that was already on my stock header so i just re used that and it didnt leak or anything.the hardest part will be not smapping the studs when taking them off. heat is key