Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

swapped gsr into 96 ex overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default swapped gsr into 96 ex overheating

Just swapped a 97 b18c1 into my 96 ex, car ran fine for about 2 days but out of no where the car overheated not all the way up but a little over half and i knew it was about to overheat, so i made it home in time, was about a block away, i noticed the fan would not come on but i know its a good fan, did i have to rewire the fan after the swap? also the coolant was all in the over flow not much in the radiator.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: swapped gsr into 96 ex overheating

anyone?
Old 11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no external leaks look for that first, there could be air in the cooling system, termostat could be stuck closed, or you could have a blown head gasket, thats about the jist of it
Old 11-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no leaks i know that for sure, my friend who has a b16 had to rewire his radiator fan switch, not sure if i have to do that too cuz the fan never comes on.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok update no leaks preasher test the system held 15lbs fine i just need to know how to wire the radiator fan, it never come on after the swap. any ideas?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also no heat now, worked after the swap, until today bad water pump? or thermostat?
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your engine might have a bad thermoswitch... its by the thermostat housing, unplug the clip and jump the wire, once you do that, your fan should instantly come on. if it does then replace the sensor thats on the thermostat housing. if you have no heat, check your coolant level and you might have a bad thermostat too.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you only need the fan to come on when ur at idle btw, you should try and air bleed the system to do that there is a little valve by the thermostat housing crack that open and with engine off add coolant into radiator until it starts spurting out of the valve, then close the valve and run your engine until it warms up leave the cap off, youll see bubbles and probably require to add more coolant, just keep adding till engine is warm, to check thermostat take it out of boil some water and put it in there if it opens up it's good also check if its installed corrrectly, the spring part should face towards the block, no heat in the compartment, probably didn't hook up the little wire thing to your heater control valve or the heater core is plugged, control valve is connected to the two smaller coolant hoses that goes into fire wall on one of the hoses there is a valve thingy with a cable sticking out hook the little hole part off the cable onto the little lever on the valve, to check if it works have someone look at the lever and pull the heater control lever inside the car it should move the lever out in the engine bay, you can also flush it by disconnecting the two hoses that go to it, disconnect from the engine block and flush it with a garden hose going back and forth your heat should be awesome after that, to check for a bad head gasket look at your exhaust smoke is white? no then good, you can also look at the oil if it's milky. also check the fins on the radiator if they are bent over, you should replace it because it wont cool as well, and also check the fins if they are clogged with dirt and **** you could just spray it off with a hose and get them as clean as you can,

your welcome
Old 11-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info, but the heat works only sometimes the cable does move when i change the heat control, put a new cap and thermostat in today, ran car for 20 min at idle fan never turned on once, i know the fan turns on threw a ground so i check the plug and was not getting a 12v when the car was running, tried jumping the wire to ground and fan did not turn on, im using the ex harness is it a different pin out in the ecu or than a gsr harness, checked all fuses all good, there is no bleeder valve on a b18c1 or i didnt see one im gonna go flush my coolant tomorrow run a few buckets of water first then coolant hope that gets all the air out. any other people have any ideas about the fan?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have da same prob- on ma EK. will a pinched hose cause it also?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok here is what happened and how i fixed everything, there was alot i mean alot of air in the system thats why there was no heat and since there is no bleeder valve on it, you cant do much but push on the up and lower hoses ad try to move the air. I ran the can for about 20 min with heat on full, then kept filling it up and over fill the over flow, better to have too much than not enough in this case, but i would drive it around for about 30 min then pull over and fill up the radiator again and kept doing this till it was full and with the car running you should not see any bubbles coming out of the radiator, after i did all this i ran the car for about a hour to make sure it didnt overheat and everything wokring perfrect, the heat was hot!!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HongoRLS
I have da same prob- on ma EK. will a pinched hose cause it also?
check to see if you have any leaks, are you loosing coolant? use a pressure tester to make sure. I thought i didnt have any leaks until i did that and found 3 little ones on mine. If its a pinched house on your car you should be able to see it, shouldn't be to hard to find.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a heads up for future cooling system repairs but if you get the spill proof bucket that attaches to the neck of the radiator then it raises the coolant up above everything in the car and that way you can make sure to get all the air out without driving around and then stopping. go to the local oriellys and ask for there tool catalog and you will see it in there for like 20 bucks.