Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swapped civic and emissions help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapped civic and emissions help

96 hatch with a poormans swap. has cel light havent checked. question is how could i get it to pass emissions. it has a obd2a to obd2b jumper on stock 99-00 ecu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First post... And im sorry lol. Just bought a 96 Civic hatch with a b18c1 block and b16 obd0 head. Color is Si blue, interior needs a little work but paying mainly attention to the engine. Main problem with the engine is that the stock harness is hacked up. Looks like they spliced an obd1 harness into the stock obd2 harness and half of the stuff doesnt look connected. its running with no o2 sensor. found the iat plug which suppose to go onto the intake piping and on the intake manifold theirs already a iat. im not sure if vtec is even engauging lol. oooh and it has a jumperharness to a P2T ecu. and yes car runs like crap. first startup shoots up to 3k and goes down then idle surges.

Would buying a 96-98 ex harness help out the wiring mess?

EDIT: Throws codes 6 and 10

Would 6 cause vtec not to engage? and i dont think i should be even trying since im on a b16a2 basemap
Also noticed its running on obd1 plugs and injectors

Last edited by EfSedanLove; 01-13-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swapped civic and emissions help

Check your O2 sensors what swap did you do? some setups only have one O2 sensor some have to so if youved crossed the swaps you may need another one
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i checked it out and theirs no o2 wired up. throws a code for water temp sensor and intake air temp (6,10) seems to me its a hacked up obd1 harness spliced into stock 96 engine harness. engine is a b18c1 with odb0 b16 head on a stock 99-00 b16 ecu wtf?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jeezus lol well thats a cluster screw there is a slight difference between the EM1 wireing harness than the other 6th gen civics for some weird *** reason one of the plugs i think the B plug comes from the dash when thhe other civics all 3 plugs come from the motor. i was having the same proplem with my car. Id say check to make sure all the sensors are obd2 or your going to have alot of CELs because. Second The D series engine harness dosent have a Crank angle sensor or a knock sensor so i would check for those. There is also if im not misaken the water temp sensor is on the block now. Then there is an oil temp sensor back there 2, and i think the distributer is wired differently. I would be suprised if V tec was working to. check this link out you may have to shuffle thru all the wiering and pages but it will DEF help
http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/
download one for your car the 96-98 and then get the 99-00 one that will be the one you want to look at and see where all the wires come from and compare them to yours from there you can peice the wires back to the harness and solve the problems at hand
Old 01-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
jeezus lol well thats a cluster screw there is a slight difference between the EM1 wireing harness than the other 6th gen civics for some weird *** reason one of the plugs i think the B plug comes from the dash when thhe other civics all 3 plugs come from the motor. i was having the same proplem with my car. Id say check to make sure all the sensors are obd2 or your going to have alot of CELs because. Second The D series engine harness dosent have a Crank angle sensor or a knock sensor so i would check for those. There is also if im not misaken the water temp sensor is on the block now. Then there is an oil temp sensor back there 2, and i think the distributer is wired differently. I would be suprised if V tec was working to. check this link out you may have to shuffle thru all the wiering and pages but it will DEF help
http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/
download one for your car the 96-98 and then get the 99-00 one that will be the one you want to look at and see where all the wires come from and compare them to yours from there you can peice the wires back to the harness and solve the problems at hand
idk if they used the stock 96 dx harness n hacked it with an obd1 harness. lol starting to annoy me when u first start it it revs to 3k then idle surges
Old 01-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EfSedanLove
idk if they used the stock 96 dx harness n hacked it with an obd1 harness. lol starting to annoy me when u first start it it revs to 3k then idle surges
How about doing a continuity test on the harness . That wat you know that all those circuits are good.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pa emmisions exempt laws are anything under 5k a year gets a exempt sticker regardless of cel or not.
check your emissions exempt laws in your state and just get another gauge cluster for keeping you under the limit

Originally Posted by EfSedanLove
96 hatch with a poormans swap. has cel light havent checked. question is how could i get it to pass emissions. it has a obd2a to obd2b jumper on stock 99-00 ecu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First post... And im sorry lol. Just bought a 96 Civic hatch with a b18c1 block and b16 obd0 head. Color is Si blue, interior needs a little work but paying mainly attention to the engine. Main problem with the engine is that the stock harness is hacked up. Looks like they spliced an obd1 harness into the stock obd2 harness and half of the stuff doesnt look connected. its running with no o2 sensor. found the iat plug which suppose to go onto the intake piping and on the intake manifold theirs already a iat. im not sure if vtec is even engauging lol. oooh and it has a jumperharness to a P2T ecu. and yes car runs like crap. first startup shoots up to 3k and goes down then idle surges.

Would buying a 96-98 ex harness help out the wiring mess?

EDIT: Throws codes 6 and 10

Would 6 cause vtec not to engage? and i dont think i should be even trying since im on a b16a2 basemap
Also noticed its running on obd1 plugs and injectors
Old 01-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

obd0 head....... ahhhhh.. i dont even know where to start.. lol. an ex harness will only have the needed vtec , vtec pressure wired.. so no need for that unless its wired wrong.. but if you want to start from scratch.. yes on the ex harness.. then you will have to rewire that harness on the injector plugs and dizzy..
Old 01-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine is a b18c1 and the head is i believe a DA gsr head so b17 or b16 lol.

Fixed the idle surge, the thingy under the throttle body had to be taken apart and put back together.

Found that the previous owner put the vtec pressure switch plug on the water temp sensor and the water temp sensor on the vtec pressure switch plug LOL epic failure.

For the IAT i believe the sensors bad.

So... The harness isnt that bad after all.

Will need to figure out on the engine harness which of the two o2 plugs are for the front or back, or does it matter? I am running a PT2 which means 2 o2 i think but if i run a obd2 GSR ECU which i believe uses 1 ill be set?

EDIT: The harness is stock dx, so far i see they replaced the injector plugs to obd1 and the IAT they cut the obd2 style plug and replaced it with a obd1 style plugs.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So its throwing codes for

10 IAT Sensor (Intake Air Temperature) defective circuit or unplugged / defective sensor
65 Oxygen Sensor Heater (Secondary) malfunctioning or defective oxygen sensor heater
41 Primary Oxygen Sensor - Heater circuit malfunction

So with this ECU i need two but... the header (Stock) only has one.
IAT idk ill test the wire to ecu and test the sensor.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt