Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swap Question (reliability)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Question (reliability)

This is for everyone that has done an engine swap. My question is, how reliable are the engines that most of you have installed? I would like to know if there have been many reliability issues, as far as the engine breaking down, leaking oil or anything out of the ordinary.

Second question, i was also thinking about replacing key parts of the engine before installing it. Like: new cams, pistons, valve springs... etc. Possibly a STROKER KIT. Do you guys think that would help with reliability?

Any information or suggestions are appreciated!!!

Brennan
Old 06-17-2003, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Swap Question (brenerb)

as long as the engine is fine when you put it in, there should be no difference in reliability. as long as you do the swap right it should run/last like your stock engine.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Question (brenerb)

If installed correctly, and remains stock it should be as reliable as any other honda motor. Remember, everything fits perfectly (civic b series swaps) and works like it would in the original car, so the motor shouldn't have any problems at all due to the transplant.

Infact, in my opinion i think its even better. I have a 95 GSR motor in my civic hatch, the GSR motor was designed to propell a 2650lbs car (integra frame), so now its only pushing a 2100lbs civic, so daily driving actually produces less strain due to the reduced weight then what it was originally designed for. So less strain equals longer life cycle and more reliability.

Ofcourse there are even some honda bum motors, just get one thats been checked out and running well. When you add pistons, cams, and other internal work, in my experience they can be reliable, but they need to be installed properly (tuned as well), but never would I expect that motor to last as long as OEM stock motor.

I've had mine for about 16 months, and there has not been one single problem that has left me stranded (one bad alternator, still got me home), and my other freind (dohctorthurst) has had his b16 swap for more then 2 years, he treats it like crap, just changing the oil and its still runs with absolutely no problems since the day of his install in high school. Good luck with yours
Old 06-17-2003, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Swap Question (EG(6)SR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG(6)SR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Infact, in my opinion i think its even better. I have a 95 GSR motor in my civic hatch, the GSR motor was designed to propell a 2650lbs car (integra frame), so now its only pushing a 2100lbs civic, so daily driving actually produces less strain due to the reduced weight then what it was originally designed for. So less strain equals longer life cycle and more reliability. </TD></TR></TABLE> I agree. The lower rpm's you take it to, the better for the life of the motor. And like he said, if it ran ok in the original chassis, it will run just as good if not better in the lighter chassis, assuming your swapping to a lighter chassis... As for aftermarket parts, be careful.. Many parts can cause undue stress on "other" parts of your motor before the time they normally would with oem. Skunk2 and toda usually get a thumbs up from many around here as far as internals, but do your own research and see what fits you, and your budget.... Good luck, Mike D
Old 06-17-2003, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Swap Question (98Hatch00)

oh yah, and for best reliability with a rebuild, sleeve it.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:52 PM
opi
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Question (EG(6)SR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG(6)SR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> If installed correctly, and remains stock it should be as reliable as any other honda motor. Remember, everything fits perfectly (civic b series swaps) and works like it would in the original car, so the motor shouldn't have any problems at all due to the transplant.

Infact, in my opinion i think its even better. I have a 95 GSR motor in my civic hatch, the GSR motor was designed to propell a 2650lbs car (integra frame), so now its only pushing a 2100lbs civic, so daily driving actually produces less strain due to the reduced weight then what it was originally designed for. So less strain equals longer life cycle and more reliability.

Ofcourse there are even some honda bum motors, just get one thats been checked out and running well. When you add pistons, cams, and other internal work, in my experience they can be reliable, but they need to be installed properly (tuned as well), but never would I expect that motor to last as long as OEM stock motor.

I've had mine for about 16 months, and there has not been one single problem that has left me stranded (one bad alternator, still got me home), and my other freind (dohctorthurst) has had his b16 swap for more then 2 years, he treats it like crap, just changing the oil and its still runs with absolutely no problems since the day of his install in high school. Good luck with yours </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, i've had my swap for about 2 years now...and still running. Just routine maintanance and you're good to go.
GSR+CX=fast & reliable fun!