Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swap Problems not a n00b! lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Problems not a n00b! lol

Alright, so here's the situation. I just got done putting a jdm b16a into my 98 civic coupe. After repinning the obd1 distributor, cutting and splicing the wires for the althernator, repinning the single wire knock sensor to the correct plug, running my jumper harness to my jdm p30 ecu, etc. etc. I finally got it to start up and run. It ran ok for a couple of days but was throwing codes 6 which is water temperature sensor in the head, and code 9 which is the cylinder sensor.

Now this is where i get confused. Yesterday I get in my car and I try to start it, nothing, doesn't even turn over. I then went and checked all my grounds, two of which were still loose from doing the swap. Tried to start it again, it did start but very weak. Idling around two or three hundred.

Could this be either symptoms of bad wiring to the alternator, or a faulty distributor? I ordered a new distributor and am going to check the wiring tonight on the alternator to see if that is the cause. I'm leaning towards the alternator because my speedometer and tachometer jump around, which are symptoms of a bad alternator or bad wiring to the alternator.

let me know on any info you guys could have. maybe give me a wiring spec on the distributor. any help or input can help.

thanks
Old 11-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Problems not a n00b! lol (95lscivic)

bump for no responses!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cutting and splicing distributers scares me
I would say get the correct distributor and wait to see what happens from there. If it is the alternator then the problems will still happen. Since you had loose grounds and when you tightened them it semi solved the problem it leads me to beleive the distributor might be at fault.
just my .02
Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

So does the engine turn over? as in does power go to the starter to turn the engine over? Also I think you may have over complicated your swap. You can simply swap the CYP/CKP/TDC sensor from distributor on your old engine so that you don't have to depin anything. Same thing for the alternator, simply swap the voltage regulator. For the injectors either reuse the civic injectors or take the blue inserts out of the OBD2 injector clips and reuse the OBD1 injectors.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Problems not a n00b! lol (93egSLEEPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cutting and splicing distributors scares me
I would say get the correct distributor and wait to see what happens from there. If it is the alternator then the problems will still happen. Since you had loose grounds and when you tightened them it semi solved the problem it leads me to believe the distributor might be at fault.
just my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>

i didn't cut and splice anything on the distributor, i depinned the two plugs on the obd1 distributor and repinned them into the single 10 pin plug off of my old d16y8 distributor. the car start and ran for a couple days, i even drove it for about 120 miles intermittently.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So does the engine turn over? as in does power go to the starter to turn the engine over? Also I think you may have over complicated your swap. You can simply swap the CYP/CKP/TDC sensor from distributor on your old engine so that you don't have to depin anything. Same thing for the alternator, simply swap the voltage regulator. For the injectors either reuse the civic injectors or take the blue inserts out of the OBD2 injector clips and reuse the OBD1 injectors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

explain how to swap the cyp/ckp/tdc sensors. i did use my old injectors, and the alternator off of the y8 would not come apart, i tried to swap voltage regulators.

in addition, vtec would not engage when the motor was running for the first hundred miles or so.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95lscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">explain how to swap the cyp/ckp/tdc sensors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take both distributors apart. unscrew the 3 sensors, each are held in with 2 screws. Install the old sensors in the new case and reasseble the rest of the distributor. I tried repining an OBD2A distributor once to go in an OBD1 civic, the pins are a little different and don't really snap in the plug shell properly, so I just swapped the 3 sensors. OBD1 D15B7 sensors in OBD2 B16A distributor case if anyone wants to know.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap Problems not a n00b! lol (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Take both distributors apart. unscrew the 3 sensors, each are held in with 2 screws. Install the old sensors in the new case and reasseble the rest of the distributor. I tried repining an OBD2A distributor once to go in an OBD1 civic, the pins are a little different and don't really snap in the plug shell properly, so I just swapped the 3 sensors. OBD1 D15B7 sensors in OBD2 B16A distributor case if anyone wants to know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

interesting. i might have to try that. you think that's why my distributor is throwing code 9? i got the pins to go in properly, and even got the plastic inner case to fit as well.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95lscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you think that's why my distributor is throwing code 9?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd more likely think the distributor that came with your swap had a bad CYP sensor.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

right on, thanks for the help man. im going to check the wiring on the alternator tonight and swap out the cyp sensor tonight. do you know which one in particular is the cyp sensor?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Seagull Management

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95lscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">right on, thanks for the help man. im going to check the wiring on the alternator tonight and swap out the cyp sensor tonight. do you know which one in particular is the cyp sensor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

CYP has the wire colors orange, white. But its easier to swap all 3 sensors as a unit, you'll see when you take the distributors apart. Also when taking the distributors apart mark where the two pronged cam on the end of the distributor in relation to the shaft (I usually use a file an scratch a mark across both)
Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok gotcha. ill do that tonight. no work, just some homework, then time for the car. haha
Old 11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tonight was both successful and unsuccessful at the same time. i swapped all the internals of the d16y8 distributor to the b16a's distributor, repinned it, and it got code 9 to clear. unfortunately, that was not the problem as to why my car would not start and continue to run.

after messin around with it for a bit i found out that the car when i shut it off the other night must have skipped a tooth or maybe even two on the timing belt. the reason i have come to this conclusion is because the only other code i have right now is six which is a enging coolant temperature sensor and nothing that would cause my car not to run properly.

additionally, i put my plug wires in order and the car would burp and backfire but would not start. then i put the plug wires out of order on purpose on the distributor to the order of 4,1,3,2 and advanced my timing on the distributor all the way. it would start and run, poorly, but it does run. Thus, leading me to the conclusion that my car skipped a tooth.

Tomorrow's task, new timing belt for the b16a and hoping that i didn't do any damage to the valves. keep your fingers crossed.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Seagull Management

When you reassembled the distributors did you get the pronged cam on the end of the distributor (the one that fits into the end of the camshaft) lined up the same as it was? you can put it back on the shaft 180 degrees off.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i got it on right, i made sure and marked everything. took the timing covers off today and got the new belt. the old one was so loose that i can pull it off of the cam gear with my fingers alone, and still pull about an inch of slack out on each side. definitely skipped at least one tooth.