Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swap into 98 Civic LX coming this tax season - Need input

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap into 98 Civic LX coming this tax season - Need input

alrighty guys. I know many of you saw my last post seeing what i can do the the 98 LX i just picked up thats completely bone stock. Now im looking at just doing a automatic swap for my wife. Im stuck between b18 and b20. b18 tranny will be going on to both.....If i got the b20 id want to go with the CRV-TEC with the b16 head. But if i went with the b18 id hope to just get a gsr motor and put the auto b18 tranny on it. Any suggestions? Also how hard is it to do this swap? I heard there will be tranny fitment issues? I cant find any sites on doing the swap yourself....Also i will need the year of the engine motor mounts correct? Any other feedback will be greatly appretiated! Thanks guys!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap coming this tax season :P

best of luck.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tayyab74
best of luck.
Thanks man yeah im trying to keep the swap under $3000 So anyone got any idea's? im probably gunna hear b20 a lot. But remember i cant boost cuz it has to stay auto unfortunately for my wife.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98LXcivic_kid
Thanks man yeah im trying to keep the swap under $3000 So anyone got any idea's? im probably gunna hear b20 a lot. But remember i cant boost cuz it has to stay auto unfortunately for my wife.
Tell the wife to suck it up and learn to drive manual. That's what I told my girlfriend.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Happyman
Tell the wife to suck it up and learn to drive manual. That's what I told my girlfriend.
x2 as I am currently in the same proccess, and once she learns she will almost deffinitly enjoy driving much more.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol yeah im tryin she saidshe would try if i boosted her d16 lol. cuz she would have 3 months to learn. Imma start teaching her when i get my new oil pump in my SE-R. Not driving right now do to 0 oil pressure at idle lol. IF i end up teaching her which i hope i do ill be goin all out with a gsr LSD and all. I plan on makin this thing a sleeper. Lol. All motor badass. There is a couple sleeper hatches out here. One is a fully built GSR with a t3 that beat my buddies 410WHP evo10 by a car lol. So would you guys say go b18? Im hearing its a easy *** swap. Just unbolt and disconnect and drop in? Thats what im getting from other posts.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap into 98 Civic LX coming this tax season - Need input

any one suggest any good "bolt ons" or anything since ill have the motor sitting out of the car till i can swap it in?
Old 09-25-2011, 01:53 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

B-series with auto transmission into a Civic? I don't think that's likely to happen.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why wouldnt i be able to auto swap in a b16 or something? Now im leaning more torwards b16 swap. Imma try to teach the wife how to drive stick and hope she does so i can build a civic sleeper lol
Old 09-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

why wouldnt i be able to auto swap in a b16 or something? Now im leaning more torwards b16 swap. Imma try to teach the wife how to drive stick and hope she does so i can build a civic sleeper lol
it's basicly the same engine. You could do, but you will need custom fab work, and wiring to do it.

I really don't think your going to be able to do this swap. Not to be rude.

The auto B trans are a lot bigger then 5spd, not to mention there isn't a auto GSR, so that's out.

There is a auto b16, but not in the US. And, they use a different frame rail.

At minimun, you'll need to cut a big chunk out of your frame rail, fab a custom trans mount, and figure out the wiring.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
it's basicly the same engine. You could do, but you will need custom fab work, and wiring to do it.

I really don't think your going to be able to do this swap. Not to be rude.

The auto B trans are a lot bigger then 5spd, not to mention there isn't a auto GSR, so that's out.

There is a auto b16, but not in the US. And, they use a different frame rail.

At minimun, you'll need to cut a big chunk out of your frame rail, fab a custom trans mount, and figure out the wiring.

LOL. ok so thats out. I seen auto swapped b18's but iguess imma beg the wife to learn how to drive a stick. Then b16 swap it. Anyone know any good mods to make it pretty quick? Ebay turbo? how well does this engine deal with the ebay turbo's? i might try to put on the kit myself.......they dont look to hard to put on......But i could be wrong.....But for $750 you cant go wrong.....lol. all i will need is a good tune and watch my boost levels. What should i push on a t3 on a safe boost level?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay turbo
Old 09-25-2011, 02:37 PM
The Grumpiest

For $750 you're ALL wrong.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
For $750 you're ALL wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item3f0e311b02

whats wrong with this kit?
Old 09-25-2011, 02:49 PM
The Grumpiest

It's Chinese made garbage. i don't even have to click on the link to tell you that. A good quality turbo by ITSELF will cost you almost as much as that whole kit.

With as little as you knew about the swap you wee proposing you seem to know even less about turbocharging an engine. Recipe for disaster.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yet i have seen people with ebay turbo's that run em and have NO problems. Boosts fine. Even if they dont want the turbo they just swap em out. Not even a problem at all. Plus my buddy told me last night the housings are turbonetics and the only shitty part is the turbine. BTW every post i open you knock me on. Like i said in the first one im new to ****ing civics guy. I am experienced with nissan's not honda's. I can sit here and talk **** all day about civics if i wanted but **** im here to try and build a good car for my wife.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Master Detailer

LOL. ok so thats out. I seen auto swapped b18's but iguess imma beg the wife to learn how to drive a stick. Then b16 swap it. Anyone know any good mods to make it pretty quick? Ebay turbo? how well does this engine deal with the ebay turbo's? i might try to put on the kit myself.......they dont look to hard to put on......But i could be wrong.....But for $750 you cant go wrong.....lol. all i will need is a good tune and watch my boost levels. What should i push on a t3 on a safe boost level?
Not EK's you haven't. EG's are doable, but still difficult.

For $750, they are million ways you can go wrong.

95% of the time ebay turbo kit's don't even fit the car right.

Oh, and if that turbo blows, get ready for the possibly of metal shavings/chunks getting into the engine.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:02 PM
The Grumpiest

GO ahead and listen to your friend. Matter of fact go post this over in the Forced Induction forum and see what people like TheShodan have to tell you about your $750 turbo kit. Physically slapping the kit on is about 20% of what it takes to boost an engine. When you can tell us what the other 80% is then you'll be informed.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@98civdx well what would you recommend? Just basic bolt ons? I also see obx makes itb's worth the 600?
Old 09-25-2011, 03:39 PM
The Grumpiest

http://www.google.com/search?q=civic...w=1902&bih=868
Old 09-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Master Detailer

@98civdx well what would you recommend? Just basic bolt ons? I also see obx makes itb's worth the 600?
Leave it alone, or, just basic bolt ones, +tune.

I really truely do not mean to be rude by this, but you have no clue what your talking about. Your getting in over your head. If I come off as a *** hole, I am sorry. I don't mean to be.

Throw a B18C, B16, or even a B20 like I mentioned already. She will be more then suprised.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No man Ur ok. I just want some positive feedback. Ur not being a Dick. I'm sure u guys are sick of moons asking stupid *** questions like I am but I never have owned a civic nor read up much. I'm a Nissan guy not a civic guy. But I mean if I can just get a basic bolt on b16 and be satisfied that will be fine.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you were going to turbo it, rip a USED turbine out of an old TD or DSM and get it rebuilt or try rebuilding yourself. Stock turbo's will last, even with high miles, longer than the ebay garbage.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Master Detailer

No man Ur ok. I just want some positive feedback. Ur not being a Dick. I'm sure u guys are sick of moons asking stupid *** questions like I am but I never have owned a civic nor read up much. I'm a Nissan guy not a civic guy. But I mean if I can just get a basic bolt on b16 and be satisfied that will be fine.

If your able to get a bigger engine, like a B18, or even a ls/b20 you would better off.

A b16 isn't bad, but you can do better.

if you've got about 3k coming, start saving your pennys now. And then go after a GSR. Or do a ls/b20/vtec.

EDIT- If your able to, start looking for deals now. As the winter comes closer people are going to start selling there old parts, to buy new ones for next year. This is were you can get name brand quality parts for cheap.

My buddy scored a rebuilt ITR long block, with toda cams, new clutch/toda fly wheel for $2k.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
If your able to get a bigger engine, like a B18, or even a ls/b20 you would better off.

A b16 isn't bad, but you can do better.

if you've got about 3k coming, start saving your pennys now. And then go after a GSR. Or do a ls/b20/vtec.

EDIT- If your able to, start looking for deals now. As the winter comes closer people are going to start selling there old parts, to buy new ones for next year. This is were you can get name brand quality parts for cheap.

My buddy scored a rebuilt ITR long block, with toda cams, new clutch/toda fly wheel for $2k.

oh **** lol. yeah i been lookin at the GSR b18's to. With a b18 will i have to swap out the cooling system as well? Im guessing i can get that off ebay for cheap.....But i should be getting over 3k. I heard military is getting a $1500 bonus for taxes this year on top of whatever else ill be getting back. So we will see. But what should i be putting down on a gsr with intake, header, exhaust? and possibly cams?

Quick Reply: Swap into 98 Civic LX coming this tax season - Need input