Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Swap info, EJ Options, Please read all advice appreciated...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap info, EJ Options, Please read all advice appreciated...

I am interested in doing some work on my EJ but have a few questions if anyone can help. I don't have an unlimited budget so i wanna keep this sorta low within reason.

Here are my options

1. work on my HX engine with I/H/E, the intake would be a custom ITB setup, he's done these many time before and I've experienced his work firsthand, cost for itb in streetable setup - $3500 parts + $1500 labor. Plus a 92-95 Si tranny. More aggressive cam, and lightened flywheel. Mostly for fun, on a daily driven car which will hope to see some solo or autox action on weekends.

2. Buy my friends 94? si eng add same as above, but be able to retain a stock eng for emergency or if i sell car.

3. Save and WAIT get B16 with above setup, and call it a day.

All setups will include susp and braking upgrades. Another prob is between the EF chassis and EJ (coupe, no sunroof) which is a better candidate with real potential? I like the EF for sentiment ( the first car i ever raced with) but I own a EJ now. I kinda think the SOHC VTEC with ITB's would be really nice in an EF, but not so sure in a EJ. The EJ just kinda screams for a B16 at least, but wayyy more $$$ and waiting. Is the SOHC setup fine in an EJ? I searched a bit and think there is wayy more product support for the EJ tho. Any input appreciated.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap info, EJ Options, Please read all advice appreciated... (RSZero1)

Bump
Old 11-07-2002, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap info, EJ Options, Please read all advice appreciated... (RSZero1)

3. i did all the bolt-ons on my old ex motor but i was never as satified with it as i was with dropping in the b16a.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap info, EJ Options, Please read all advice appreciated... (ejprimo)

anyone else? please...
Old 11-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are working with an HX engine? the Vtec-E engine? the one that is designed for good fuel mileage? I would say of your options get the b16.... http://www.osakajdmmotors.com/ could probably buy it outright with the money you are considering using on that HX.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Swap info, EJ Options, Please read all advice appreciated... (splitime)

okay, cause i've heard from spade some good things about the hx motor, like the roller followers, and that it really isnt far off from the ex motor. I guess the B16 is the better investment long term...any more input?
Old 11-08-2002, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

okay, cause i've heard from spade some good things about the hx motor, like the roller followers, and that it really isnt far off from the ex motor. I guess the B16 is the better investment long term...any more input?
Hey man, how is it going.......My imput......well. For a daily driven I want to have fun and see the auto-x too (NOTE: Read rules on mods and what class you would be in). Torque and gearing is what you want.

Unfortunatly, the HX is the worst off. I like Option 2 to save money and have a back up. As well as get quick response. The Tranny will make you smile and you will be beating EX's for the simple fact that you weight less and have the same gearing with just about the same horsepower but a early responding torque curve.

I do not like Option 1. That is just too much money on something that can be replaced with a larger engine (GSR). I know I know, I love the D but, If you plan on spending anywhere near the cost the swap is just the way to go. I suggest mods on the D's for the ones who have the money to waste or don't have the money and need to buy used OEM parts for cheap to get going.

Option 3 I don't like either. Your only buying a 1.6L (just about the same Torque) that can just rev higher. If you have that much you might as well wait for the extra money to be saved and get a 1.8 (w/VTEC).

In short: How long can you wait to start seeing performance?